Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Any botanists with exceptionally good eyesight and a forgiving nature out there?

I have been trying to figure out what plant this is - and please forgive the blurry image, as I kept forgetting to take my camera when I walked the dogs and ended up aiming and shooting out of my car window on my way to work.  It seems to be a bush of some type, with a long cluster of pink flowers that become a long cluster of dark berries.  I am curious as to whether these are edible berries.


Hopefully, you can bigify this.

***********************
Since the weekend was el-stinko, as far as the weather went, and there was no way I was going to be able to do any of my outdoor chores, I focused my laser-like vision (hahahahahaha) on indoors.  I had found a big jar of very old pinto beans (dry), so I decided to can them.  For me, pressure canning requires two days, as I have the focus of a ping pong ball.  Interestingly, two of the 10 pint jars did not seal.  The flats were new, I did not overfill the jar.  Hmmm.  So it looks like chili is in my near future.  I also made a pear upside down cake (GF), as I had a nice little pile of seckl pears.  And I was getting a half-bushel more.  I made ham/bean soup, soon to be canned.  I made great breakfast bars for the barn - a recipe from my mother - that is easy and good (oats, raisins, egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, milk,...) I made good headway on the latest project on the needles, a woolen cardigan, knit from bulky yarn.  I did my laundry, hung it inside, cleaned five bathrooms (3 at my mother's), vacuumed, dusted (gasp), did mounds of dishes, brushed both dogs (I am STILL getting a woodchuck-sized ball o' fuzz off Bernice), and listened to the first four discs of a recorded book on Thomas Jefferson.

I had a friend to dinner last night and tested a new recipe that, luckily, turned out great - it's an African based stew made in one pot.  Of course, not reading the directions closely as usual, I almost missed the fact that it needed to be made in the traditional method, which included preparations begun six hours before cooking!  And -- are you ready for this? -- it included sweet potatoes, of which I managed to grow FIVE.  I am so excited.  It was enough of a success (tiny), that I will try them again next year.

Today we are weathering the remnants of Karen, and I am sitting here hoping that all the hatches have been battened.  I dislike sitting in the midst of a storm, thinking about it raging over my Little Lucky Farm without me.

9 comments:

  1. We had a wet weekend, too, although Sunday wasn't as wet as Saturday. Hadn't emptied the rain gauge in a few days and it showed an honest 2" yesterday.

    I'm no help in identifying your mystery bush . . . just promise you won't try the berries before determining (for sure!) that they are edible. I mean, who would clean your folks' three bathrooms and keep Bernie from beginning to look like a fuzzy sheep.

    Hope Mother Nature and her fierce weather are kind to you and Little Lucky Farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never try to eat anything without checking! I have too many dependents to risk death - I promised my family (who don't want to take care of all my dependents...)

      Delete
  2. Maybe take a good size cutting off the bush to local Nursery and see if anyone can identify it.

    Hope the storm is minor and all the hatches are secured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! And the storm just dumped inches of rain, thank goodness...

      Delete
  3. I love it when the Ohio plant part of my brain is able to kick out a name for stuff like this. It looks like Pokeberry. http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHAM4

    Would love to see the sweater. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! You are GOOD! I will have to look it up. IF the sweater turns out even reasonably well, I will gladly put it on view!

      Delete
  4. Yep, pokeberry :-). Can be used for dyeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is marvelous news! I have vowed to try dying my own fiber and I'd like to do it the natural way. This is great - can I dry the berries? How exciting!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a fun? weekend...well, at least you got lots accomplished! :)
    Glad you got your bush identified. That's cool that you can use the berries to make dye.

    ReplyDelete