Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday Musings 8-14



1

2
 
3
 
4
 
5-7
I am having a rather good time rummaging around in my stuff and tossing things in the "out you go" bin.  There were no takers for the prior items, other than the Anchor Hocking dish.  So into the Goodwill bin they went.
 
Now to this week's selection.  I have had this big (BIG) comfy down jacket for a long time and it's saying something that I have not stained it, ripped it or generally destroyed it.  My mother has the exact same jacket.  The last time I wore this was when a well-meaning sales clerk exclaimed, "Why look at you two!  You look exactly alike!  Twins!"  First, let me state that being told I look like my mother is an extreme compliment, as she is a beautiful woman (inside and out).  However...being told that I look exactly like a 91 year old is not high on my list.  I would much rather hear -  "OMG!  It's Adele!!!!"  (Yes, yes - snowball's chance in hell and all that, but a girl can dream...)  So my red jacket is ready for a new home.
 
Number 2 is a Brooks Brothers heavy men's XL (although I'd say it's really a large) sweater.  A neighbor gave it to me.  I'm not sure why.  I already have the Geezer and I'm sticking with it.  This is a beautiful sweater and it needs a new, loving home.  (Aside:  Where the heck does "sweater" come from?  I mean, don't you put one on to keep warm?  Isn't it cold when you don your sweater?)
 
Number 3.  Yes, it's a fitbit.  I direct you to the Magpie Syndrome explanation.  There are two reasons this is on its way out.  First, I tend to balk when feeling that I am expected to walk a certain number of steps per day.  There's too much pressure.  If I have a fairly sedentary day at work and it's raining cats and dogs when I get home and all dark and dreary, am I expected to slog out and hot-foot my way to 10,000 steps?  Run in place?  Second, it was just this reason that my dearest friend, Kay, lost her life on a dark, dreary, rainy night - trying to cram in those last steps to top her record.  It needs to go to someone who is more disciplined than I am.
 
Number 4.  This was thrifted and I was taken in by its cute, pineapple-y charms.  That was six years ago and I have never used it.  Out it goes.
 
Numbers 5-7.  I could have lumped these under one category of "media" but I'm not gonna.  Honestly?  I cannot take one more viewing of Barbara Stanwyck doing slapstick.  I prefer the charming comedian Cary Grant to the charming rogue.  Valerie June has a great voice but every single song on this CD sounds the same.  These are destined for the library.






20 comments:

Jacque said...

I love the down jacket. If I lived in your area I'd gladly take it off your hands. The sweater is also nice. I'd repurpose it and make leg warmers and a few pairs of mittens.

Michelle said...

I didn't realize you were posting your "365 things" as available. Ahem. Adding some of YOUR things would not help me trying to divest of some of MY things. But. Gorgeous, gorgeous sweater; I faint for those cables. Don't know if any of us here would wear it, but you'd better email me....

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha, I didn't know you were trying to find new homes for the items. I have a fitibit. Required by our insurance to participate in a meaningless program to keep our current cost for it. Hope you find homes for everything.

Susan said...

I was also immediately taken by the jacket. I guess I have the fashion style of a 91yr old, which on the face of it doesn't like too bad.

Susan said...

All great ideas!

Susan said...

I'm regiment or trotting all off to Goodwill. If anyone on here sees something they'd like fine, but no blaming me! :)

Susan said...

See above.. :)

Susan said...

:)

Mama Pea said...

Good, good, good for you, girlie! You're really, truly doing this admirable thing of weeding out what you don't need . . . and probably will never use again. None of the stuff listed seems like junk . . . far from it. So that may make it a little harder to let go of? But it all might be just what someone else wants and needs!

hoosier girl said...

I admire your strength in letting that sweater go! I'm partial to bulky men's sweaters, though.

Sue said...

Wow--week 2 and still going strong--congrats!
I'm TOTALLY LOVING THIS!
I feel like the proverbial fly on the wall, but not in a creepy sneaky way. It's just a nice "peep" into someone's life.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Yes, it's looking promising, but I'm only two weeks into the year...the pressure!

Susan said...

HG - My favorite winter sweater is the "Geezer", a 30 lb wool men's cardigan in an XXL. It comes down to my knees and is the warmest piece of clothing I own!

Susan said...

Sue - Glad you are enjoying this. Wait until next week's line-up. It's on the strange side... :)

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Keep up the good work!!

Michelle said...

Okay; I WANT that cabled sweater. Tell me what shipping will cost to 97101 (hopefully this week, because a lot of the rates go up on the 16th).

Lisa B said...

I want the fitbit if it's not spoken for. Let me know what you want for it. Mine is wearing out and I use it on my farm 24/7. I'm sorry about your friend that's sad.

Susan said...

Lisa, thanks. I think about her daily. Send me an email at swomersley at gmail dot com.

Nancy In Boise said...

Sweater pillows are great if you see? Purging is always good!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Doesn't purging feel good? I just got rid of four stuffed bags of clothes / shoes that no one here is going to use and included 4 nice blazers that I had but had never (or rarely) worn. Don't miss them at all.