Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Velvet Tacquito

Saturday was a heady mix of all things 'duck', setting up the electronet for the sheep and tending to some much-ignored domestic tasks.  As I surveyed the groundhog-sized dust bunnies, nose-smeared windows, dust-covered surfaces, debris-covered floor mats, and piles o' stuff, I realized just how far I've fallen down the Good Housekeeping scale.  I really must get more organized.  Really.  I did as much as I could before cleaning myself up (a whole nuther subject) and motoring off to meet with my middle sis, BIL, mother and father, to celebrate Dad's 94th birthday.  It's always an experience to go out with my father.  It reinforces how completely thankful I am that my sister is the one taking care of them.  She has the patience of Job.

Sunday, I spent a fun-filled morning doing more domestic chores, then motored off to run all my errands with The Pepperoni in tow.  He was scheduled for a spa session with his favorite groomer.

First, we dropped off recycling at the transfer station - where he poked his little head out of the window all the better to receive oohs and aahs and the accompanying head pats - then we had a nice visit with my friend, Marianne, and her granddog, Henry - a French Bulldog puppy.  Henry, as adorable as he is, is very mouthy and was a bit much for TP and my sandals. 

While TP was being pampered by Casey, our very favorite groomer, I ran six errands: pet store for litter; grocery store #1 for cat/dog food (on sale and coupon); grocery store #2 for $.99/# chicken for Scrappy's food and chicken bread; filled gas tank; Home Debt for screws for roof; grocery store #3 for $1.89/# ground beef for more Mr. Honey-Bunny food; then back to the groomer.  
 
He now collects lint.  All over.
Not the best picture (he is not a cooperator) but he got a buzz-cut and is now the texture of a velvet tacquito with a plumey tail.  He is enjoying the extra attention garnered by the fact that I can't keep my hands off of him... :)
 
The beautiful shades of Summer.
I am starting to get tomatoes and was gifted some lovely beets, cucumbers, zucchinis, yellow tomatoes, and beautiful red carrots.  (Don't you love that smiley sponge?)  I had better get hopping with my processing and preserving!

By the time TP and I got home, I was wiped out.  I usually do all my errands on Saturday so that I have a day to recover - and do all the other stuff.  It didn't work out that way this past weekend, so I just had to be satisfied (ha) with what I was able to accomplish.  I did get two gates made for the never-ending duck project.  This has made my rather complicated system of moving ducks in, out and around easier.  I am also working on acclimating the pullets so that they can be integrated into the big coop.  I will have to get some pics of the Salmon Faverolles.  They are such interesting-looking chickens - sort of like owlets.  This is working out, most of the time.  I figured it was at least a way for them to have a fighting chance at having access to water during the day - living with the KY Babes means that every available water source is empty within a half hour.  Last night, however, there was a blip.  I had gotten invited to go out for wings and mojitos by a group of women that I really like.  Problem is - and always is - that they are all retired and I am not.  I figured I could spend one hour.  Well, not surprisingly, it was so much fun I spent two hours and didn't make it home until it was pretty dark.  I had to search around for the poor pullets - Bunny, the bantam rooster, and his fav girl had made it over the fence and into their coop.  The rest of them were huddled here and there and had to be scooped up and hand-delivered.  Then the KY Babes had accidently shut the door to their home before they were in, so they were out and hysterical.  Then the Anconas were out and it was all alien now because it was different - as in, dark.  It took forever to get them all shut in for the night.  So much for socializing.

And on that note...one of the women said to me as I was hustling away from the table, "Oh, that's right - you poor thing - you have no life!"  Wha?  Au contrare!  I have the life I love!  I felt rather smug, as they were all sitting around mitching and boaning (as Mama Pea would say) about their husbands, the time on their hands, blah, blah, blah.  Pfft.  An hour later, I was feeling a tad less smug after charging about in the dark after ducks and pullets.

16 comments:

petey said...

I don't think I have ever had a velvet taquito! LOL

Susan said...

Petey - I doubt they'd taste good. :) However, they are great lap-warmers!

Fiona said...

He looks fabulous! We have done the later than we should be round up...its an amazing thing that some poultry manages and other poultry does not. It does make things interesting though! As to the womens group...I have dear friends who are aghast at how Ralph and I have tied ourselves down to a farm, but the cheerful greeting of the Boys {Spike, Trainwreck and Blackback} every morning is worth it and the happy night noises from the chicken house after we have shut the door and said good night is satisfying somehow. And the food we raise! By the way I have found a herd of dust dinosaurs....it seems they congregate under the bed!

Mama Pea said...

Tell your retired friends that I, too, would rather be charging around in the dark after ducklings and pullets than living in a condo with time on my hands! Matter of fact, I think I was doing that very same thing last night. It sounds unbelievable but at the moment we have 8 (yes, eight!) chicken/duck tractors, pens in various states of un-repair, etc. in which we sort and lock-down our herd of feathered friends each night. It's almost comical to see (eventually) everyone saunter on over to "their" house . . . although there have been times when the odd duck decides to have a sleep-over in someone else's abode. Animals!

Pepperoni's buzz cut looks just like our granddog Tucker's when he gets trimmed and polished. Both are good lookin' boys!

Sue said...

I agree with Mama Pea. Your life, heck all of our lives (those of us HERE), are what WE want out of life. I've never been happier than when I'm puttering in my kitchen or garden. I've NEVER envied other's lives because I'm not interested in ladies luncheons or shopping trips (unless it's to a fantastic food market!!). We live the lives we live because it's OUR idea of heaven. So yea, PPPPFFFFTTTTT on those witches (with a capital B)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your animals all have such fun and evocative names. Not entirely sure I want to know the story behind the name "KY Babes" though, lol!

Susan said...

Fiona - The Babes are way smarter than the rest - they put themselves away. Dustasaurus! That's how I feel. I could easily stay on the homestead for weeks on end. It is (mostly) heaven.

Susan said...

EIGHT poultry tractors? How in the world do you two handle all that sorting around every day? My routine is fairly bland compared to that. TP is so much happier with his close cut. He bounces around like a two year-old. I will have to get a shot of his bee-hind in action. OMG.

Susan said...

Ooooh, food shopping... :) Well, to each their own. I doubt very much any of them would have the stamina to live my life. Heck, I barely have the stamina to live it myself.

Susan said...

Debra She - The dogs came with their names. As they were older, it didn't seem right to have them try to get used to another name. Of course TP doesn't EVER answer to his name for any reason. I feel like I'm living on the set of Alvin and the Chipmunks - Pepper! Pepper!?! PEPPERRRRRR!!!! If I'm lucky, I get a slight acknowledgement.

kymber said...

do you serve the tacquito with guacamole and salsa or some strange verda sauce? enquiring minds need to know!

kymber said...

your friends have no idea that you are living the life of Riley - yours is a life that is full and true and i salute you for that! that tacquito is looking very pretty i might add! now get "hopping" in your processing and preserving - bahahaha! our harvest is only starting to come in. isn't it interesting how all of us have our gluts of harvest at different times of the year? for example, an english friend of yours and mine is pulling garlic. my garlic is going gangbusters but will not be pulled and replanted until late september/early october??? i love seeing different people on various blogs with different climates. it's interesting to see what people are planting, harvesting, re-planting....blah-blah-blah.

sending love. your friend,
kymber

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

I would rather be busy working on a homestead/farm than sitting yapping about my husband, and silly things in life. Your vegetables really do look amazing. And to have beets, cucumbers, zucchinis, yellow tomatoes, and beautiful red carrots gifted is the cat's meow!!!
Glad to hear there were no issues with trying to get your critters in when it was dark outside.
Hugs,
Sandy

Susan said...

The big mistake is to live a life that makes you unhappy, bitchers and moaners I'm looking at you.

Nancy In Boise said...

Great post and mr. taco looks so smooth! I iwh I could grow beets here, but our heavy clay soil doesn't work well. Mitching and boaning, that is so funny! I have some whiny co-workers I was moved near, I may have to use that with them :) Or maybe not, they could make my life a living hell. Anyway, I can't stand to be around people like that. Get a divorce, counseling, go volunteer or just appreciate what you have! Life always has choices :)

Anonymous said...

Good post! Beautiful veggies which looks fresh:)