Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

Cleo, Queen of Denial

Sun! The claustrophobic deck door
of Winter.
Never mind that I can't see my garden, let alone think of planting anything in it for months.  The sun may be shining (at least, I think it's the sun - it's been so long....) but it has just reached the plus side of the thermometer, just in time to slide back through the night.  I turned my back on reality and threw myself into denial (without a bathing suit, nudge, nudge, wink, wink).


I got all my seeds ordered, found that I already had some in my stash (note to self: this is the year to organize) and got out a brandy-new notebook with which to carefully keep track of this year's garden.  Of course, a lot of this will only happen in a perfect world, a world which I do not populate.  However, I have the best intentions.
Definitely needs organizing. 
Winter peas and mangels, anyone?

New-to-me seed catalog - notice the
markers.
Some of the new seeds ordered:


Kajari Melon (Baker Creek)
Green Zebra Tomato (Sweet Yard /Sustainable Seed Co)
Tangerine Tomato (SSCo)
Pineapple Tomato (")
Bulgarian Carrot Pepper (SSCo)
Vintage Wine Tomato (SSCo)
Red Noodle Bean (Pinetree)
Mexican Sour Gherkin (Pinetree)
Crimson Forest Bunching Onions (Pinetree)
Blueberries Tomato (Pinetree)
Delicata Squash (Peaceful Valley)
Plus the usual cast of characters already in stock and waiting - zucchini, cucumbers, onions, garlic (planted in October), chard, kale.  I am trying carrots again.  Yes, I never learn.  However, I am going to try to grow them in buckets.  My motto in re: gardening, is "What the Heck".  I have also caught Marianne in a weak moment and she's offered to start tomato seeds for me...I'm going to start some, too.  I wonder who will have a better turn out....

Since I know I can't actually start any seeds, I will spend the next month or three organizing and laying out the garden.  A few raised beds need new frames and I am going to trellis the melons, noodle beans and gherkins.  I think I will not grow any potatoes this year, as I get plenty from my neighbor.  I am also going to boost the bee, butterfly and hummer plantings, along with growing more of my own herbs. 

It all sounds so wonderful, grand and doable in February, doesn't it?






P.S. Quail made it through another night, bless their little hearts.  One more to go before relief.

 

11 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Yep, next on my gardening To Do list is to plan out the garden. Funny thing though, when trying to envision what should go where . . . it's hard when the garden areas are all one big white expanse of snow! Every year I say I'm going to do the next year's garden plan in the fall when all areas are sticking right out there. Didn't happen again. :o(

You said you ordered garlic. Do you plant yours in the spring?? Inquiring minds want to know. :o)

Susan said...

No, the garlic was planted in the fall - it's just a regular part of the garden and about the only thing I manage to get planted on time! I know what you mean. I look out the window and wonder what the white lumps are!

Susan said...

I went to an interesting talk on native planting for wildlife thus my planting list reflected my new knowledge. Gee do you ever have to take some of the descriptions with a pinch of salt. Some of it is pretty loose. Native to our province turns out to mean grows in the central desert area, not on the wet coast, North American native means Florida or some other unsuitable for me locale. Back and forwards went my little nose from catalogue to native plant range chart. Way too intense for my liking. Very happy you have seen the sun.

Michelle said...

Oh my, you ARE the optimist, aren't you!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Keep warm, little quails!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I never order seeds. I just buy them in the stores. Do you find that you save money doing it this way? (I don't start any seeds indoors anymore either). I've become a lazy gardener. -Jenn

Elaine said...

Seed catalogues are dangerous things, but so much fun. I start with an impossibly long list, then have to step back and take a more rational look at what is possible, and what do we really enjoy eating. The planning and dreaming is half the fun, eating the harvest is the other half; it is the bit in between which I struggle with these days, especially the digging.
Three cheers for the quails and their keeper.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ordering seeds and checking my stash has been on my list. I am so far behind on that job. I better focus on that job. Thanks for the inspiration.

ElaineChicago said...

I'll bet the seed catalogues are as dangerous as yarn catalogues!! You must have a good size property to be able to plant all these good veggies. Do you have to cover some stuff up to keep bunnies from eating them? Also happy to hear that the quails made it through another night! What will you be doing with them later? Release, I hope!

ellen abbott said...

everything seems doable in February. I'll need to do something about my raised beds soon. plus I have another one I haven't even set up yet.

Rain said...

I'm so happy to hear about the quail! :)
Well...hmmm...I'm not planting anything this spring...I'm not buying any seeds....BOO HOO HOO HOO HOO....but...if it means us buying a property I'll get over it. But I am spending time thinking about what I want on the land...garden, chickens, rabbits...maybe goats, not sure...I want an orchard too, just a wee one...lots to dream about this month! :)