Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

This pretty much sums up the past couple of weeks.





This is the result of weeks of no rain, temps in the mid- to upper- 90s with humidity percentages to match.  We are a family of damp lumps.  I manage to rustle up the strength to water the garden, do chores and that's about it.  It has been one gloriously bright, hot, sunny day after another and I am damn tired of it.  I have tried leaving my car windows open overnight, putting sheets on the line overnight - all have created rain events in the past, but not now.

If this keeps up, I will either cut the size of the garden in half, or pave it over and join a CSA.  Not nearly as satisfying but so much easier on my old self and my shallow well.  

On the upside, Slimmie is still talking to me, after being hunted down and tortured with oral meds twice a day for two weeks.  We have discovered that the only food he can keep down is a prescription diet that, no surprise, costs more than my monthly food budget.  He is worth every penny.

The grass is crunchy, I am glad I have hay for the sheep, and it's too hot and dry (as in cement-like dirt) to weed.  We are supposed to get some rain within the next few days, but I have little faith in weather predictions.  Once we get a decent rain, I can weed and then I will trot out pictures of the garden.  It has been doing pretty well, considering.  I have been enjoying mixed greens from my cold frame bed - spinach (at last!), arugula and Romaine.  But I am hovering over my summer squash plants - zoodles!  I need zoodles!

My sisters, nephew and family* and I, had our first Zoom 'meeting' on Fathers Day, raising a glass to the old guy - our first FD without him.  It was fun and even our mom joined in (she thinks it's 'magic').  We are entering our new reality, one tiny step at a time.

*They had the nerve to join from poolside, the cheeky darlings...




14 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Same no-rain conditions here. But I shall stop my whining because we don't have your horridible high temps. We're still in the cool range and the garden talks every day about just chucking it for this season. Small, tiny, puny. Pffft.

Too bad you don't care enough about the cat and dogs to buy them pet beds. You know, so they have something comfortable on which to lie.

Ed said...

I apologize because apparently our regular showers, that normally aren't regular this time of year, are apparently needed your way. I promise not to keep them any longer than needed.

Nancy In Boise said...

We may get some rain here tomorrow night, I'll try and send some your way! Our cat is like that, had to put her on canned food since she kept barfing with the dry. Vet said yes, but she's worth it! Fingers crossed for cooler weather for you...

Goatldi said...

Wow girl. What a week or two or 52.143!

I always knew it was more then 52 hopefully you .143 will be stellar!

Cat bonding were you? The sweet fur balls sure know how to hold a grudge don’t they? Hear you on the RX food not inexpensive even in none RX form.

I have decided it is all a mental battle. So when I somehow managed to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius on my weather app this morning. I was so amazed at my delight and sense of comfort (all before reality set in) I may leave it there permanently.

Have an iced coffee and veggie burger and call it good!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope you get some good rain soon!

tpals said...

I react like your pets to heat. No thank you!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

it's the same here. no rain, constant watering and the damn sun and heat.....arghhhh!!! no matter how much i water, it's not the same as rain. one of my okra just gave up and died overnight. they keep forecasting rain and it keeps missing us. i'm sick of summer already.

Susan said...

Just in case you want to come get it, we have your rain.

Joanne Noragon said...

We are having rain all week. Four days forecast, and two have materialized.I hope it keeps working on east.

Michelle said...

Today our weather matches yours, and after two really short nights, I just want to curl up in a refrigerator somewhere and take a long winter's nap. If it cools down before dark I really need to go weed and water in MY tiny garden since I do not have the concrete soil excuse.

Steve Reed said...

I had to look up "zoodles." LOL

ellen abbott said...

you're having my kind of summer. hot humid dry. though we did get 4" of rain last night. big sigh of relief. but now of course come the mosquitos to take all the joy out of the relief of rain.

Retired Knitter said...

Boy, do I know about prescription pet food. That stuff can break you, but you are absolutely right!! Worth every penny if that makes life bearable for our furry family.

Sam I Am...... said...

So glad you got some rain!!! Grow garden, grow!!!