Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Sweezie van Winkle

(With apologies to Rip and Washington Irving.)  Apparently, I am either totally delusional or totally in denial.  When I did not snap back into vibrant health and physical vigor two weeks after surgery, I slid into what I imagine is depression.  Sort of like a human pill bug.  Or an armadillo.  It's not like nothing went on - sheep had to be sheared.  I tried black soy pasta that cooks up grey.  Then spent a considerable amount of time trying to reason out why it was more pleasing as black than grey.  When I tossed the leftovers to the chickens, they were just as put off as I was.  They just came around faster.

My oldest hen, Izzy (Isabel) went through an excruciating demise.  It was cold.  It was hot as hell.  It rained and blew in between.  The weeds in my garden are spectacular in their own way.  I wonder who's bright idea it was to put the garden in the front of the house - where I am subjected to the weedy eyeful countless times a day.  Oh.  Right.

I've had my post-op appointment and got a clean bill of health.  Ditto with the dermatologist.  During all of this, I remained curled in upon myself and finally, finally started to perk up.  (Thanks SO much to those dear hearts who emailed to check my pulse...)  While it's unlikely that my garden will amount to much more than a weed display, I have compromised a bit and planted collards in my window boxes, tomatoes in pots, peppers in pots and assorted herbs here and there, within reach.  I had plopped some lettuce and arugula in the cold frame - which managed to survive without me.  

In farm news, Norman has moved to the next town in order to provide company for an older gentleman sheep, Lucky.  As you know, Norman and I have had a love/hate relationship from the get-go.  I needed to keep Linden here to pal up with the llama (who cannot be rehomed at this point), but tried not to sound gleeful at the idea of no more Norman.  I did what I could to get ready, but was lucky enough to have my farmer neighbor volunteer his stock trailer, with back up from another couple I know.  It went without  a hitch.

Norman knows something is up.


A little help from my friends.

Leave it to farmers to have
all the solutions.

Lucky catches his first view of
his new roomie.

Introductions went well.
(My thanks to Lilly for the great pics)

I couldn't go along for the transfer, as I had to head north for a much-needed haircut.  Unfortunately, my 'stylist' was channeling her inner barber that day, so I was as shorn as the sheep.  I do not have luck with hair cutters.  They seem to give me a great cut the first time, then it's downhill in a greased pan from that point on.

Yesterday marked four weeks from my last surgery, and I have rounded a corner.  I think my problem started when I underplayed the fact that I had two major surgeries within four months.  That, and I am totally and inherently impatient.  I plan to go out and - gently - tackle a raised bed so that I can get my kale planted.  If all goes well, I will do another for summer squash - because Summer:Zucchini, right?  I have put away all my packets of flower seeds and all the rest.  Next year's garden is going to be spectacular! 

19 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

And......She's back! Glad to hear you're doing well as you can expect. Take care.

Rosalea said...

So glad to hear from you, Susan! I have been wondering if everything was all right. Two major surgeries within 4 months is a bit. It would knock the stuffing out of most people. Take it easy, and yes, there is always next year. Your flowers are lovely.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

yay for you!!! now you are even more wonder woman than before cause you have all new parts! maybe chill a bit and relax this summer away.

Theresa Y said...

Glad to hear your well.....

ellen abbott said...

OK, so you weren't just being a slacker. all is forgiven. glad to hear that you're recovering.

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Glad your feeling better. Don't know how you did it with the two surgeries right after each other. That's a pretty brave thing to do. It must feel good to have them both out of the way! Lucky, looks pretty content to where he went. Your flowers look so pretty and healthy. The vegetables will be just as good or better than last year. Take care!

Susan said...

There you are! I'm going to miss Norman-I love a rebel. Of course that made two on the Little Lucky which was never going to work. I am surprised you lasted as long as you did. Oh can I relate to major surgeries barely a whisker apart. I should have warned you but my brain hasn't worked properly since-just kidding-sort of. The only thing to do is accept the garden (and you) are on hiatus, it makes anything you do achieve, however small, feel like a major victory and you can puff with pride and have a celebratory drink and very soon life will be rosy again. Hugs.

Goatldi said...

Yeah we do have all the answers. Nice loading chute by the way. Did you get a big "Bawahhhhhhhhhh" on the "off without a hitch" trailer hitch get it yuck, yuck!

Glad you once again walk among the living. I would of checked on you but there are days I swear to you that we were sharing air space.

Two major surgeries in four months ? What could the issue be? Did you know it can take four to six months for the dredges of anesthesia to leave your body? But then you have never been one to take the easy route I am betting the farm on it.

Welcome back Kotter ;-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear you've been down in the dumps, but glad to hear you're perking up now. I have a friend who also had two hip replacements in close succession and she was very depressed after the second one too -- it's just SO much recovery time to cope with without any respite and let's face it, hard on the body and spirit.

Debby said...

I was about to nag, but there you are!

First things first. That third picture? Behind Norman? I have to say that it took me forever to figure out why I was seeing a chimpanzee back there. Then a little longer to figure out what I WAS seeing.

Secondly, all the Normans that I've ever known are jerks. (I'm being polite, here.) You should have never brought home a sheep named Norman. You were asking for trouble.

Thirdly, glad to see that you've rounded a corner. Being laid up when a body's got things to get done is tough.

Michelle said...

I failed the "Dear Heart" test and never checked on you; BAD friend I am! Time flies when you're having fun; I thought you were still being catered to in all ways by your sister-caregivers. Were the dogs and Slimmy happy to have you less than your usual dynamo self so they had more cuddle opportunities?

Joanne Noragon said...

Glad you're back and Norman's gone.

Leigh said...

I'm so glad to get an update from you! Sometimes it's hard to be patient with ourselves, isn't it? Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Nancy In Boise said...

What are The Courier okay! I think surgery takes a lot more out of you than you think I know I went through that too. Glad to hear Norman got a new home! Our garden is way way behind we haven't even planted all over summer veggies yet. Too many projects but we got them done and that's the main thing and now we won't have to do them again for another ten years or more! Well maybe the chicken coop... hang in there don't hurt yourself!

tpals said...

Now I recall my mom complaining that she didn't feel right for months after gallbladder surgery and blamed the anesthesia. I'm so glad you're starting back to normal.

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad to hear you're turning a corner. Some patience is required when recovering from such major surgeries, I'm sure! Glad Norman seems to be adapting to his new home.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and happy to see Norman loves his new friends. Glad to see you are back to blogging too.

Marcia LaRue said...

Glad to see you are back and up and about! Ah me ... being depressed totally sucks ... glad to read you are feeling a whole lot better!!
Continue to heal and continue to look on the bright side of things -- wear sunglasses! LOL

Toni said...

Sorry to read that you've been less-than great health and relieved that you are better.
I have the same luck with hairstylists. Last time I got my haircut the young man who cut it was confiding in me how he how much he wanted to leave town and become a monk. Sadly, he must have been channeling a monk because I walked out almost bald!