Pages

Monday, July 12, 2021

It didn't rain Saturday.

Apparently, we now have a monsoon season.  Given our spring and summer have consisted of downpours, interspersed with hellish temperatures, it's now a jungle out there.  Slimmie has been kept on his toes, since the mice apparently have mistaken the house for Noah's Ark and have systematically ignored the 'two' requirement.





The little bit I did get to plant is doing well - and I haven't had to water the plants in days.  Or is it weeks?


On a sad note, my sister's husband passed away, after a long battle with lung cancer.  She had to travel to NH for the wake and funeral, and we (as in me, myself and my friend, Rosie) managed to look after Mom and hold things loosely together while she was away.

Barry and Dad in better
times.

My beautiful sister with her
amazing son.


On a happier note, she and I managed to get to our favorite local museum, the Clark in Williamstown, MA, to see an exhibition of Nikolai Astrop, a Norwegian artist (1880-1928).  It was a lovely respite for both of us.

Portrait of the artist

One of his exceptional and complicated
wood block prints.

I will leave you with this awesome ginkgo leaf bench, part of another exhibit at the Clark (Claude and Francois-Zavier LaLane), while I go looking for my waders...



17 comments:

Nancy In Boise said...

Wow, how lush and green! We've been 100+ for 3 weeks (?). Hoping for a break in the heat!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Awesome art exhibit! Sad news about your brother-in-law, my condolences to all.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

it's a jungle here too. it rains almost every day and i haven't had to water much. i am not complaining!

Mama Pea said...

And here we sit in northern Minnie-soda with such a lack of moisture all lawns are turning brown and now they're talking about the damage the trees might be sustaining! I'm keeping our garden going with sprinkler and hand-held hose (and our very good well!) but it's a constant chore. I'm drooling over your lush, green pictures.

My sympathy sent to your sister on the passing of her husband. A difficult time, I'm sure.

That wood block picture is amazing! Thanks for sharing. Hugs.

ellen abbott said...

It didn't rain on Saturday here either. or Sunday and so far not today. gasp, 3 days in a row with no rain? it's a fucking miracle.

love the gingko bench.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm sorry to hear of your sister's loss. It's hard no matter how much you know its coming. Meanwhile, I hope you're doing well.

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister's husband. Hugs to her! Yes it's been downpour after down pour around here too! Every thing is super green and growing fast! Are you managing to get around o.k. after your operations? Hope the cat gets the mice!

Joanne Noragon said...

It appears you live in a jungle!

Michelle said...

Well, now we know who's hoarding all the moisture! 🤣

Debby said...

We were just talking about that. Last year we struggled to keep the garden watered. This year, no struggle involved. It's crazy here. Downside? We have had some real damage done by these thunderstorms. So far, it's a hot water tank, a sump pump, and now a refrigerator. I'm sure this week will bring many other unhappy discoveries.

My condolences on the loss of your brother in law.

tpals said...

Your place looks so lush and green; waves from the dust bowl.

I'm sorry for your sister's loss.

Ed said...

It does look like a lush jungle there. We've been getting the rains too and it has been two weeks with most of another sure to pass us by before we will get down to our garden so I'm sure it will probably look like a disaster.

Goatldi said...

Please pass my condolences on to your sister. Good job with Mom I love the way your family has each other’s backs. Perhaps we can leave this crazy several decades of family bashing behind.

Great job on the homestead. Your plants look amazing.

Mice all around for dinner tonight? Cheers!

Marcia LaRue said...

I shall add my condolences to your sister, as well!
My goodness ... you do have a jungle going on! We are hoping and begging for rain in S. CO ... all of CO, probably! We have hazy, smoky skies out here from our own wildfires, as well as the haze coming in from the other states that are on fire, too! It's not good, no matter how you look at it!
Good to see your update even with the sad news!! Glad you are doing well!!!

gz said...

That's a beautiful garden!
Hi, via Debby 🙂

wyomingheart said...

Sending sympathy for your family. Nice that you don’t need to worry about watering, but could you please share?...just a bit . Lol !

Steve Reed said...

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Your yard is looking very lush, and isn't it great to not have to water? Love the ginkgo bench!