Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2022

I seem to be afflicted with AAOCKD.

 (Or more commonly known as ACK!)

Yes, I'm afraid it's true.  As the earth completes another go-around of the sun and I inch (if only) towards decrepitude, I have found that I am afflicted with Advanced Age Obsessive Compulsive Knitting Disorder.  I'm sure you already knew that, but I am slow on the upswing.


I stumbled upon a pattern for a catnip mouse toy and....have made about 20.  I even tried to refocus by starting on a pair of socks.  I made it to the heel, then knit two more cat toys.  Good gawd.  I will say they are Slimmie and Sadie Mae approved (a friend's lovely cat), so it's easy to justify the knitting of them.  Unfortunately, I only have one cat and I have made them for every cat I know.  If you all have a cat that is partial to catnip, send me an email.  I will be obsessing on these for a while.  Until the next shiny object comes along.

Winter was rather late in arriving, but it's making up for lost time.  We have had rain and fog, now snow and ice.  There have been some spectacular sunsets (no filters, honestly.)



This morning, I have watched the temperature fall from 6 degrees F, to - presently - 1 degree F.  They are predicting freezing rain tomorrow, which is just peachy, as I have to drive to the city to pick up a friend at the airport and then transport her to VT.  It's a good thing I learned to drive on the south shore of Lake Erie.  I am fairly adept at wintering on the road.

I am embracing the cold with a song in my heart because....


Is this not the most beautiful lap blanket EVER???  I tell you, besides the outstanding skill of the creator of this gem, the colors are fabulous.  I dare you to not have your spirits lifted at the mere sight of it!  Sam, you are such a dear.  I love it to death and refuse to share it with any of the kids.

Some randomness from the past few weeks:

Linden is going to his new home (fingers crossed) early Tuesday morning.  The fellow that shears my sheep is going to foster him with his little flock until he either finds a new home or passes to the rainbow fields.  I am so happy for him.  And it will be way better for his waistline, as I have been doling out a steady supply of guilt grahams.

The kids got some fantastic gifties from their Auntie C.  Peanut got quite possessive with the stuffie skunk and I had to pull out the back-up skunk to keep peace on the homestead.

ALL the toys are HIS

I cleaned out and organized the freezer in my fridge.


I rediscovered carrot rice.


2022 is gearing up to be a highly exciting year.  Snort.

25 comments:

Boud said...

Carrot rice? This warrants investigating.

And I hear you on the obsessive knitting. I started knitting blankets for foster cats to help them get a permanent home. The rescue group said that when a cat went out on a rescue day at the oet store, they were more likely to be adopted seen sitting on my blanket. It became the cat's luggage, went with them and helped them settle. After about thirty blankets the rescue group was tactfully trying to get me to taper off ..

tpals said...

Those are truly stunning sunsets. Love the cat toy; you have clever fingers. :)

Leigh said...

AAOCKD! I need to get me some of that! I certainly qualify with the AA part. And I love your catnip mousies! My cats would too.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

You have a back up skunk? I admire your ability to knit with such speed and ferocity. Happy to hear your Linden now has a home. -Jenn

jaz@octoberfarm said...

a definite plus for living where you have lake effect snow is learning how to drive in anything! i never fear snow driving. i am happy to hear about linden!

Mama Pea said...

Better you're having that "mouse" problem than the actual one. Cute as can be! I'm pretty sure my guess is correct as to who sent you that gloriously colorful afghan. What a generous, lovely person she is. I know what a relief it will be to you for Linden to have found his new home. And a good decision for you to have made. Gratefully, we have a lovely cover of snow on our ground now because we're getting socked with those below zero temps, too. Also, waaaay too much wind! It can freeze your beezer out there! Stay warm and keep all that good, healthy food coming out of your kitchen. Hugs!

Bettina Groh said...

I'd love the mousie pattern.. bettina.groh@gmail.com ... ex-New Yorker!!

ellen abbott said...

That is a very nice lap blanket though I think if I had to endure your winter I would just curl up and never get out of bed. OK, carrot rice. How do you make that? It looks good.

Steve Reed said...

Your catnip mice are cute, and the lap blanket is beautiful. I'm laughing at the idea of a "backup skunk." LOL

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your catnip mice are so CUTE! And love that colourful afghan -- enjoy snuggling up with it!

Goatldi said...

Well good for you. Great photos in via winter driving I love driving in the snow and the ice . No I really do I know there’s something wrong with that isn’t there? And lastly hooray
for new home for Linden.

OK truly last comment could you be talked into sharing that mouse pattern?

gz said...

Carrot rice sounds intriguing...I have a packet of grated carrot in my freezer,..

Debby said...

Nothing nicer than a comfy blankey. I'm glad about Linden. I know that's been troubling your heart. I have looked up carrot rice. I do so love ginger, and will certainly give it a try.

Susan said...

Thank goodness you surfaced, I was getting a little worried. Of course now I know it is because you are knitting mice I won't worry. I am snowed in, it is becoming a teensy bit tiresome. I might come over, metaphorically, and curl up with the Peanut.

Michelle said...

Knitting for you; spinning for me. Guess I should mail you some handspun. Yay for Linden; yay for happy pups and a warm lap.

Joanne Noragon said...

I was gifted a "catnip" mouse as a Flat Rat. It has a single body. I use it fir a book mark. A doctor in the rehab facility was so fascinated she took a picture to make more.

Nancy In Boise said...

The mice are so cute!!! I hope to "retire" (them work part time) sometimes soon!

gz said...

We tried carrot rice...it is good!!

Rain said...

Carrot rice looks yummy! I love the knitted mouse, our cats would love those.

Ed said...

My oldest has discovered crocheting in a big way. We have a menagerie of crocheted animals housed already.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I chuckled at your diagnosis, Obsessive Compulsive Knitting Disorder. That's an awesome condition. A friend who has OCCD (Obsessive Compulsive Crocheting Disorder) made me a scarf with a beautiful combo of colors like the last one you pictured.

Anyway, I'm here thanks to Debra's post about my book, Insanity.
Great to meet you.
Robyn

Retired Knitter said...

Advanced Age Obsessive Compulsive Knitting Disorder!! I wonder if that is a form of Start-itis which has afflicted me most recently with the start of 2022 and which I plan to blog about soon. For me it is the guilt of having some wonderful yarns that I purchased in my past (in some cases - very distant past) and never cast them onto my needles - so have been casting on with gay abandon. ACK and Start-itis - I am sure they are cousins - like Delta and Omicron!. :-)

And yes, I have a kitty, and this looks like something Aja would love. Is there a pattern name? I would love to start one. hahahaha!!

Susan said...

Send me an email and I’ll attach it!

Rosalea said...

Cute mouse..I have that pattern and have made a few. Beautiful sky shots. That blanket is so cheerful and coulourful. The backup skunk is intriguing... Good that you have found a home for Linden.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I have thought of you with the cold you are getting and snow and storms.
I'm so glad you like the blanket and I hope it keeps you warm. I wouldn't mind a couple of those mice as I have 2 cats but I will email you. If you're out of the mood now don't worry. I know how that goes. So happy for you and Linden. I know it's been on your mind. Peanut is lust like my little Annie was. She could push the Rottweiller around and other dogs in the neighborhood that were way bigger than she was. They have guts, those little ones!
I need to clean out my freezer(s). I have cleaned out a few cupboards but I have miles to go before I sleep. Stay warm and safe and I pray you have a safe trip ou ton the roads!