Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2022

I may have gotten a little carried away.

 

Realizing that I may be leaving my garden when it is in full production, has propelled me into putting 99% of it in containers.  Just a few, I said.  Just the basics, I said.  Above is the 'herb garden'.  Lovely.  My deck now looks like this:



And that is only a sample.  I have, at last count, 27 containers.  It's a good thing I have friends with trucks.  I did put five tomatoes, spring peas and kohlrabi into the actual garden.  I also have lots of flowers planted just because.  Then, three days ago, I was looking out the front door, drinking in all the green-ness and saw THREE rabbits on the wrong side of the electric net fencing - that is, inside.  I shooed them out and realized they scampered - unimpeded - through the netting.  After a lot of trouble shooting, the problem seems to be that the outside electrical outlet is kaput.  I rummaged through my garden stuff and came up with a full bag of dried blood meal (ugh).  However, desperate times and all.  I sprinkled it liberally around the inside perimeter of the fence and crossed my fingers.  Day two saw no damage.  Day three saw the disappearance of all my kohlrabis.  I put row cloth on the peas and am going to have to put up a temporary fence inside my fence until I can replace the outlet.  If it would stop raining, I might get a chance.  

Weatherwise, we seem to have jumped past May, June and July and have landed in August.  Hot, hot, hot and humid, humid, humid.  My least favorite weather.




At least I don't have fur.  I will say that the hot weather, liberally interspersed with the numerous thunderstorms has made everything grow like mad.  And how is this for a thing of beauty:



This is the azalea that grows next to my friend, Zirel's front deck.  When I came up the driveway to pick her up, I almost drove into the woods, I was so bedazzled.  Nature is a wonderful thing.

16 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh my, that gorgeous azalea! I would be bedazzled too!

Steve Reed said...

Curse those rabbits! That azalea IS amazing.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Love the pup pictures. I'm giving any extra garden bounty to my kids. Prices in stores are at an all time high. Love that azalea. I had one once, and after moving never bought us another one. Maybe next year.

Michelle said...

Good for you; you've got more 'garden' than I do! And what an azalea! I didn't realize they grew so well there, too.

Ed said...

Last year was my first year of raising kohlrabi but certainly not the last.

gz said...

That is a gardening achievement!!
Hope the move goes well

Leigh said...

At least with containers, you can take your garden with you!

Susan said...

For some reason your posts haven't been coming into my feed. I had a nice catch up on the last three. I may be the only person in the world who enjoys moving, so many possibilities. I am so excited for you. Is the family home pretty, does it have a decent sized garden? If you love it I hope you buy it. I would buy it for the gorgeous blue sofa alone. xxx

Joanne Noragon said...

Wascaly wabbits! Hope you get the outlet replaced sooner than later.
We have jumped two seasons, straight back to winter. Getting old.

tpals said...

I keep thinking, 'wait, what?' while reading. Then I saw Susan's comment and realized I probably also missed some posts. Off to investigate.

ellen abbott said...

Same here, skipped May, June, July and went straight to August. Nothing is getting done outside. Which is good I guess as I have an art piece I promised for a show that needs getting done.

Nancy In Boise said...

Good for you! We are finally getting a break in the weather for one day and then we're rain sigh. I have a cold and sore throat so good weekend to rest anyway! How big is a house you'll be moving into? Will you have acreage?

Retired Knitter said...

You got that right. That bush is MAGNIFICENT!!!

Debby said...

That is one amazing azalea. Side note: Susan? Getting carried away? When does that EVER happen?

I'm guessing that you will be moving near to your sister. That is great. Our next (and last) move will be across the road from my sister. I am looking forward to it.

Nancy In Boise said...

I like that purple fabric looking planter! Where did you get that?

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

You have been busy! I scaled back and good thing I did because I planted a banana pepper and a cherry tomato and I can't have either of them with my now diagnosed (finally) diverticulitis (er doctor knew right away what it was so I fired my other doctor! The ER doctor is now my primary physician). Anyway, enjoy your fresh produce and I will live vicariously through your gardening adventures!
The azalea is gorgeous! I hope all is going well.