Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Muffins.

Here's the recipe, based on the Cappuccino Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe from Cooking Free.  It has, as always, been made 'mine'.

INGREDIENTS

1-1/4 Cups Flour Blend*/**
1 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
2/3 Cup packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder (I have left this out in the past with no ill effects)
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules or espresso powder (ditto)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Cup 2% milk (cow, rice or soy) - I used whole, raw cow's milk
1/2 Cup warm brewed coffee (110 degrees) - you could just use water;
              there is so much cocoa in this that you can hardly taste the coffee anyway...
1/4 Cup canola oil
2 large eggs (or 1/2 Cup silken tofu for vegan version)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 Cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 Cup finely chopped nuts of your choice
             (I did not add nuts.  I am weird about nuts.  I only like them by themselves.)

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease 12-cup muffin pan (or use paper liners or, as I did, finally find a use for the silicone muffin liners that have been languishing, forgotten in your pantry.)

In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, xanthan gum, gelatin, coffee granules, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.  Add milk, coffee, oil, eggs, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until thoroughly blended.  Gently stir in chips.

Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups (is this really possible?  I think not.)  Bake for 20-25 minutes until tops of muffins are very firm.  Remove from oven.  Cool out of pan so bottoms don't get soggy.  There is nothing worse than a soggy bottom.  Serve slightly warm.  Since these are gluten free, they have a very limited shelf life.  I hold out two - one for me and one to grow on - and cool, wrap and freeze the rest.

*Her flour mix is:  1.5 Cups sorghum flour; 1.5 Cups potato starch; 1 Cup tapioca flour; 1/2 Cup corn flour, almond flour, bean flour or chestnut flour.

**I use Gluten Free Mama's Almond Flour Mix or Coconut Flour Mix.  You could also use any other GF flour mix (Bob's) or, if you're not 'special' just use flour.

3 comments:

small farm girl said...

I'm gonna have to try this since we r trying to go GF here.

Susan said...

SFG - I would highly recommend this cookbook. There is an applesauce cake recipe to die for!

Mama Pea said...

Good to see your whacky sense of humor is still shining through: "I am weird about nuts." You sound just like my daughter who says, "Nuts are not supposed to be IN things." And you say that we can just use flour if we're not "special." Waaah, I wanna be special, too! Seriously, for anyone who has to be on a different food regime than all the rest of the population, you deserve to be called SPECIAL! (And you are. Not just because you're GF, but because you're ARE special!)