Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Potato Family Roots.

I have been digging up my potato harvest - the score is:  Fancy Schmancy Potato Bag Planter - meh vs. Hillbilly Tire Planter - Wowzer!  In order to make potato harvest a little more exciting, I decided to go at it like an archaeologist.  Of sorts (or of spuds).  This is what I came up with:

From top left to bottom right:

A.  Newborn spud
B.  Infant spud
C.  Baby spud
D.  Tweenage spud
E.  Terrible Teen spud
F.  Mama spud
G.  Papa spud
H.  Great Grandpappy spud

 
 
 And let's not forget:

Weird Whale spud


Obviously, I am either in need of a vacation or I have too much time on my hands....  Hey!  Given that everyone (except me) loves all things "baby" vegetables, do you think that Newborn Potatoes could catch on?  Infant Carrots?  Preemie Spinach? 

8 comments:

Sue said...

Ha--love the appropriately named Whale spud. Seems every year brings one odd ball or another. Last year, I had a potato that was more than double the size of all the others. You gotta wonder what happens with that. And , of course, that is usually the one you accidentally "stab" with the digging fork.......

Mama Pea said...

I like your classifications! The preemie spinach tag appeals to me. I know there's lots of baby spinach out there, but this crazy gardening year I could grow (with three plantings at different times during the summer) nothing but preemie spinach.

Hey! Maybe we should all post a picture of our weirdest shaped tater . . . ? What you think, gang? Our crazy (oops, I meant to say creative) Susan has started something again.

Susan said...

Sue - It's true, there's always a 'weird' vegetable. That's especially true with spuds. Since I plant in small, contained spaces, I don't use a digging fork. I use my hands!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Hey! That's a great idea! Have you run into a weirdo tater yet? This one was 'biting' the tire, heehee.

Tombstone Livestock said...

You have waaaaaaay toooo much time on your hands.

Sue O said...

YUM! There is nothing as good as tiny new potatoes boiled in salted water with a little butter. I could make an entire meal of them. Then again there is the first fresh winter squash, first ripe tomato, first ........ of the season. Guess I just love my fresh out of the garden veggies.

Tami said...

Foodies pay big money for them "baby spuds." Me? Give me whale anytime!

Casa Mariposa said...

Ha ha ha ha!!! I'd love to watch people react to a preemie spud! I grow sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and won't harvest them til our first frost. Bet your spuds are tasty. :o)