Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Best Laid Plans.

I should know better by now.  I really should.  No matter how carefully we make plans, the only thing we can rely on is that they will change.  And change quickly.

No sooner had my sister left for vacation, than my dad started to go downhill.  My youngest sister and mother took him to his doctor on Tuesday; who took one look at his chest x-ray and had him transported to the hospital by ambulance.  After some fast shuffling, my sister had to go back to the city (rental car) and I took the next shift.  Thursday the doctor told us there was nothing they could do.  Friday we met with hospice staff.  Saturday he was home.  My sister dropped everything and rushed back from her vacation and here we are.

Now we go day-to-day and support each other as we can.  I am so thankful that I have two sisters who are so loving and wonderful.  And flexible.  And humorous.  They get it from their mother. 

So, my posts will be rather sporadic (nothing new there, right?) for a while.  It's been so hot and dry here, that I have basically given up on the garden.  I haven't had a chance to water it or do basically anything but drive back and forth to VT and do the basics.  Mom came home with me Thursday and Friday - which the dogs loved, loved, loved.  Especially Pepper, who almost swooned.  He also made her pick him up after faking he couldn't get down from the couch.  Stinker.  Lovey threw up - I put it down to the stress levels.

Hidey-ho.

14 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

So sorry to hear this. That is wonderful that you and your sisters are such a good support team. Hugs!

Sue said...

I think being there for your father is so much more important than any garden tasks.
Bless you for being such a wonderful bunch.
Hugs to ALL of you.

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Take care, keeping you and your family in my thoughts...see you when we do!!

Mama Pea said...

Oh, darn, Sweezie! But you know, he could totally rally from this and be back to what he was a couple of weeks ago. It may just be a bad bump in the road. For your sake, I'm so glad your two sisters are with you on caring for your parents. Bummer that your one sis had to cut her vacation short, but sometimes there are more important things to tend to. Don't give your garden another thought . . . except perhaps starting on the clean-up when you are home and need a little outside non-thinking time. Add my hug to all the rest you've been receiving.

P.S. Lovey was probably upset because that drama queen (king?) Pepper knew how to get all of your mom's attention.

small farm girl said...

Sorry your going through this. I'm glad you have family to help you.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

so sorry to hear about your dad. it's so good you have your family there with you.

Unknown said...

Ah hang in there. It's good you have support there. And hoping things cool down...

Michelle said...

This is an overwhelming time for all of you; all you can do is what you are doing, one day at a time. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, dear girl. May miracles occur and meanwhile, we'll do lots of beseeching on his behalf. Hugs to all of you.

Fiona said...

Ralph and I send prayers. Life is full of miracles and blessings and our maker has our future in his hands. It is so good your family is together.
God Bless all of you.

Janice Grinyer said...

((((hugs!))))

Janice Grinyer said...

((((hugs!))))

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

I am sorry to hear about your dad. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. What a wonderful family you have.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Thinking of you and your mother and sisters. {Hugs}