Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

Socks, anyone?





There's nothing quite as frustrating as finding out that the socks you've labored over for weeks are too big.  Of course, it is equally frustrating to realize that you could have nipped the bigness in the bud, had you listened to the little voice in your head.  That little voice that would shout, "Hey you!  Are you at all aware that you are knitting socks that call for four more stitches than you usually knit?  On top of it being a stretchy lace pattern?"


Never mind.  They are nice socks and I learned a lot from following the pattern.  However, I feel that socks need to be worn, so I am giving them away to someone who might be a fit.


The socks are knit out of superwash Merino wool/nylon - a good combination for wear.  The foot measures 9.5 inches without being fully stretched.  I would guess that there is still another inch of stretch in there.


Disclaimer:  These are hand-knit, so they are not - by a long shot - perfect.  If you want perfect, get a machine.  I like to think of the imperfections as creative license.


This giveaway is open to everyone.  I will draw a winner over the weekend and announce them on Monday, January 29.  If you have any questions about them, feel free to email me at swomersley at gmail dot com.







28 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Me me me! I have big feet, and would LOVE to have a hand knit pair (considering I have not yet even gotten my needles to attempt making my own).

tpals said...

I think they are very pretty and that looks like a complicated pattern. When I'm feeling brave I will try socks.

Ed said...

They certainly look warm but my feet are definitely outside the upper limits of stretching.

Carol W. said...

The socks are beautiful ... but I'm very allergic to wool. Hope you find a 'home' for them soon.

Toni said...

So pretty. Handmade is the best! I'm in!

Susan said...

Your name is in the proverbial hat, Kristina!

Susan said...

I thought so, too, until I got started. It was pretty easy, even for my challenged focus.

Susan said...

True. And then there is the lace.... :)

Susan said...

That is too bad. What do you use for material, warm-sock-wise, Carol?

Susan said...

Thank you, Toni!

Bettina Groh said...

my feet are also on the large size and would like to try wearing a hand-knit pair! That might make me try knitting socks again?? These are beautiful...

Rain said...

Hi Susan :) I think the socks look FABULOUS. I have never (yet?) ventured into sock making so I'm in awe. I don't know if we hosers up north qualify for your draw but I'm in! :) I'm an 8 1/2 but I habitually wear socks over socks in the winter as slippers. I'd love to have a signature Suzé-Sock!! ;)

AnnieK said...

They are so pretty, I would love to be in the "lotto"......

Mama Pea said...

Well, you're a better sock knitter than me, Sweezie-girl! Never have I attempted putting a pattern into a pair of my hand knit socks. Heck, I LOVE the plain stockinette parts (before and after heel) as that seems like the only area where I can "make time" while knitting without thinking. ;o) I'd love to have some socks knit by you but my footsies are on the smaller size so alas, don't put my name in the hat. :o( They are lovely though.

DDD said...

I would love to win these pair of socks!
My son has the widest feet I know. The stretch could apply to the width. Hopefully he will be lucky!

wyomingheart said...

Please add me to the Lotto! Wish I had half your talent!!

Goatldi said...

Wide and long that is me. Well at least the feet part. Yes please . And ,she says feeling guilty, I do knit and have a pair in progress. But they are so pretty and I have no lace socks. Like Rain I wear multiple socks when the weather goes cold. I also wear multiple tops knitting up any sweaters soon?

ElaineChicago said...

I knit 4 pair of socks some time ago and gave them all away. There are always people in need, especially in our brutal winters.

Susan said...

Thank you so much, Bettina! Most of the credit goes to the yarn and the pattern designer. The yarn is SO soft!

Susan said...

I have no doubt that you would ace sock-knitting if you put your mind to it.

Susan said...

Of course! And thank you!

Susan said...

I would have to knit them half the size for your Audrey Hepburn tootsies, Mama Pea. And I would. xo

Susan said...

You're in the hat!

Susan said...

My guess is that you have more than half... :)

Susan said...

As a fellow sock-knitter, isn't it nice to have someone else knit you a pair? I'd have to mend my errant ways and gauge before I tried another sweater. I hate to tell you how the last one turned out.

Susan said...

Elaine, I tend to give them to friends and family members. I haven't found anything that keeps my feet as warm as a pair of wool socks.

Theresa Y said...

Put me in. They will make warm, lovely bedsocks!

Goatldi said...

You are spot on. Hey not picky here re sweater and gauge I can wear it under the other four that are layered on now that winter is returning to Nor Cal.