Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Up Periscope!

Is it safe to come up for air?  After living through an unrelenting 11+ days of sub-zero weather, with a snow storm, record breaking wind chills and -20 mornings thrown in for good measure, today it is 31.  You can't make this stuff up.


Last Thursday, the 2-4" of snow they predicted measured at 12"+.  Friday, the winds started and our already-low temps dipped waaaay down.  Saturday - wash, rinse, repeat.  But with more wind and lower temps.  Sunday morning dawned at -20 and I had such a bad case of cabin fever, that I scrunched out, started the car (which made some very strange noises) and let it warm up for 15 minutes before braving the elements and meeting my Breakfast Club boys at the firehouse.  They have missed me because I bring the real deal maple syrup.


I was very concerned about the ducks making it through this relentless cold - I had to go out every two hours to bring them water, as their water froze in about 30 minutes.  I was planning to move them in with the chickens - and to hell with the mess - but they would have none of that.  So we slogged on and made it through.  And let's not talk about the inside of the chicken coop - The Alps of Frozen Chicken Poop.  Can't wait for the 50 degree weather this weekend.  You all know what I'll be doing...


The dogs levitated over the frozen deck and did their business in record time.  Even PB left his fleece coat on for more than an hour.  Lovey burrowed into the blankets on the sofa and didn't move.  All I saw were a wrinkled brow and worried eyes.  Me?  I planted myself under my wool lap rug, wearing my birthday Woolrich blanket wrap (LOVE it, Sylvie!) and knitted.  I finished my earwarmer, a pair of crunchy wool mittens, and one of my socks, all while binge-watching knitting podcasts.  It was a Knit-o-Rama Extravaganza.  The only other thing I did was make soup and put fifteen layers on and then took them off, several times a day.  It was grueling.  I also went through 15# of birdseed.


Some beautiful 'crunchy' yarn I won
at Theresa's giveaway.

Monkey socks
Of course the downside of that much knitting is that I ended up signing up for two KALs (knit alongs) - one is for knitting a pair of socks a month for a year, and the other is a surprise.  Because, of course, I will have TONS of free time to knit.  TONS.  That's what our winter 'break' is all about, right?


Hitting me with the Cute Eyes

ALL the bones are his!
I realized I didn't have any shots of Lovey (of course, you couldn't see much, under all those blankets) so I will have to be a better Dog Mom and give her equal billing.  The best thing to come out of all this forced confinement?  I took some nittily bits off my List.  CM/Smoke Detector installed.  Check!  Canning/Cat room closet cleaned out and reorganized.  Check!  Shoes and books polished.  Check!  Chain stops put on my drying rack.  Check!  -- Wait.  What?  Yes, that's right.  Coming in at just under five years, I finally finished assembling my drying rack.  That is a record, even for me.



16 comments:

Susan said...

I think (know) I might have some projects of the same vintage. Apart from fleeting guilt if I accidentally lay eyes on one I was handling it well, I could always say Sue still has the drying rack so it's O.K., but now you have gone and completed it I'm feeling a little unsettled. I suppose congratulations are in order but they come with a bit of an envious sulk. (British humour, in case you think I have lost my mind). Yesterday I wore your lovely head warmer in the house, it is the season of freezing indoors.

Turn The Page said...

Sure wish I could knit like that...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lovely looks good in plaid!

Michelle said...

I've been knitting with Theresa-gifted yarn, too! Glad you all survived the extremes. Ducks are tough....

jaz@octoberfarm said...

you put the inclement weather to very good use! i just killed a huge stink bug....they think it is spring. i sure hope we get the big storm they say might develop this weekend. i am SO not ready for spring!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh my gosh, you got a lot done. We are told it will warm up here, so I may be getting outside more.

Ed said...

Having gone through exactly what you described though we only got half that much snow, I feel your pain. We spent those days huddled around the fireplace reading books and I scanning pictures that will be posted on my blog starting today about the Great War. We have gone a week now with temps above freezing but tomorrow it all comes to an end again with another cold snap. Enjoy the warm snap heading your way!

Theresa said...

Love the plaid PJ's and what a sweet face. His coat is looking so much better. Happy fleecy hugs to all. Stay warm.

Susan said...

Not to worry. I still have yet to finish my guest bathroom redo. Nine years later. Thank goodness I am not the only one with freezing indoors. My houseguests/visitors (of which there is a dearth from December-June) know to wear multiple layers.

Susan said...

You can! Practice, practice, practice.

Susan said...

It's the only jacket - so far - that has lasted on him for more than 15 minutes!

Susan said...

She has the best giveaways! And more willpower than I have - I can never part with any of my yarn, although I ought to. Yes, the ducks did make it through but there were a few days where they could barely walk outside, even with a thick layer of straw and hay, poor dears.

Susan said...

Well, let's hope we don't get spring yet! I am not ready for winter to be over, I would just like a regular winter, not an extreme, over the top winter.

Rain said...

Hi Susan :)) I know that "Me?" look...even the huskies were hopping around with frozen feet during that deep freeze. I don't mind the cabin fever just yet...ask me again in a month though. I'm glad your ducks were okay!! I do most of the house work/chores/repairs etc in the winter! But I am REALLY looking forward to spring lol...only what...six, seven months away now? ;)

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,
OMG.....to much snow!!!!! We don't have all the snow you had but have had extreme temperatures. Stay warm sweetie, and don't over work moving that snow. I have a bird bath heating eliminate which stays in the water to prevent the water from freezing. I found it at the Tractor Supply store, I wonder if something like this would work in you duck pen. Just a thought!

Sending hugs, and love.
Sandy

tpals said...

I wouldn't mind trading the cold for more snow (since I don't have to go farther than the chickens and wood shed).

This post and Mama Pea's has inspired me to start knitting again!