Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

A Life in Plan Bs.

That is the working title of my memoir, a work in perpetual progress, which will not be published until all the innocent bystanders have gone onto their next great adventures and can't sue me.


(Warning:  This post contains graphic TMI)


I have a pretty good sense of humor.  And, given the position of the moon and its relationship to Jupiter or whatever, I can take a good amount of needling.  I even pride myself on my ability to change direction at the drop of a hat, to be flexible (in every way but physically....)


However, even I have my limits.
Biggify at your own risk
Wednesday morning, I thought it might be a good idea not to try to keep ignoring an insanely itchy spot on my hip and get me to my doctor.  When that wasn't happening (they don't try to even squeeze you in these days), I trotted off to the ExpressCare (like urgent care, but part of the medical practice) with my knitting around 3P.  By 7P, I was home with a fever, chills, a two-week supply of Doxycycline, a steroid cream, and a diagnosis of Lyme's Disease.  Thursday is rather hazy - other than the memory of intense itching, teamed with intermittent stabs of nerve pain in my jaw.  At its worst, the rash (so lovely, ain't it?) was 12 inches wide and six inches deep.  I mean, really?  It took until Saturday morning for me to feel semi-human.  The good news (as there always is) is that I had absolutely no appetite and it finally cured me of my insomnia.


Because of the Doxycycline, I cannot be out in the sun without every inch of me covered.  How lucky, then, as I started to feel more normal, it rained almost constantly.  (Yes, that is the sound of sarcasm dripping.)  I did manage to drag myself outside Friday afternoon to finish clearing out a raised bed - only because my neighbor was mowing my lawn and could witness me keeling over, if it came to that.  Saturday I planted two kinds of kale and collard greens in the rain.


Sunday, the errant 17 y/o finally showed up (after being liberally bribed by his favorite Rhubarb Crumb Muffins) and the erosion barrier fencing was installed.  Never mind the actual sheep fencing.  I have a tentative promise (HA) for this coming weekend.


The skies finally cleared so that I could hang out my laundry on my newly-fixed laundry tree.  Or not.  When it was fixed, we did not take into consideration that it swiveled within the joined pipe to help offset the various weights on each of the four sides of your laundry.  I pegged up a sheet and the entire thing listed alarmingly to port.  Fine.  A new laundry tree has been ordered.
Plan B
I was able to string it up on the pergola but then I could not grill dinner.  Plan B2.  As I drooped, all 'woe is me' on the sofa, it occurred to me that I had the perfect working title for my memoir!  Because, in every possible sense of the word(s), that has been my life.  Now to figure out if it should be "Plan Bs" or "Plans B".  Hmmmm.


I leave you with something much nicer to look at.
Layla in her favorite place.  In full camo.







38 comments:

Toni said...

Oh my gosh, sounds absolutely miserable! Can anything be done about the Lyme's disease? Glad you didn't keep over into the Kale.

Life really is a steady stream of Plan B's, isn't it?

Michelle said...

Oh Susan! I have no words...except that I vote for "Plans B" – and a big blogger pity party on the deck!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, damn, I was afraid you'd say lyme before I even read the rest. Sure hope you're able to keep it under control. I go for "Living Life on Plan B"

DFW said...

So sorry to hear about the Lyme disease, ugh. I originally thought your title was "Life in Plain BS" (with the BS standing for ... well you know). Could see clearer once I donned my glasses.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

OMG, Lyme Disease! Good thing you caught it right away and have started on medication. Be sure to see your regular doctor for follow-up and further medication to keep it under control. I'm scared to death of Lyme Disease -- the ticks that carry it are now starting to appear here in Canada due to global warming.

Theresa Y said...

Oooooo, that's ugly. Get well soon.

The Maine Gray Zone said...

I read recently that there is a certain tick that can cause a severe reaction to red meat??? Oh, I am sorry. Take it easy....do you know how to do that?😁

Ed said...

One of my worst fears about mushroom hunting coming true. I've heard that if caught quick enough it can be treated relatively easily. Hope this is your case.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

So, as I sat down while supper is cooking, to have a look at blogs, and I go into Blogger and I look at my reading list, that alarming picture that you posted of some part of your body was staring up at me from my computer screen. Oh my lord, woman! How rotten is that?? Will this medicine make it better? There's so much info out there about lyme disease that I'm not even sure what's true and what isn't. If you catch it in time, are you ok? No lasting ill effects? Keep us posted, please. Take care. -Jenn

Theresa said...

Oh poor Susan! I am sending you a cyber toddy, very strong. Probably the only kind you can have right now on antibiotics. That one is nasty, but seems like you got it PDQ. fingers crossed for a speedy and full recovery! We have had a heavy tick year. I caught one crawling up my pant leg, and I've picked one each off of 4 of our dogs. I think Plan B's has a better ring....Hugs to all.

Mama Pea said...

OMG!!! I don't know what to say! That rash/wound was caused by the tick bite?? I've never seen anything like it. What is being done to treat the Lyme disease diagnosis?? OMG!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Well I sure hope you feel better soon. Golly.

wisps of words said...

I commented. But it does not show up.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Did I offend you in some way, with my comment? If so, I am also sorry about that.

Goatldi said...

Nice bite .
You and Yarrow are sisters as that is her medication also. Ah sisters in better living through pharmaceuticals ?

In all the seriousness I can mustard up please , if you haven't already been told, continue to monitor this with blood work after the curse of treatment is done. That is one bad boy you don't want.

You are to be congratulated as the amount of things you can accomplish with a tick borne disease makes those of us in the "healthy " sector look bad.

Susan said...

I'm glad I didn't flatten my kale, too! We do have to be flexible, don't we, no matter what.

Susan said...

I'll have the mimosas ready... xo

Susan said...

FFG - This has been a particularly bad year for ticks. I usually make it all the way through June before succumbing.

Susan said...

I think "BS" is very fitting... :)

Susan said...

I had heard that they are moving like locusts, northwards. Pretty soon they will take over the earth.

Susan said...

Thank you - I am feeling MUCH better!

Susan said...

I'll have to keep that in mind. Thank goodness, my red meat consumption is almost zero. I suppose this means that I will have to consume red meat under supervision.

Susan said...

Yes, that is usually the case. Unfortunately, this time I was in denial so it got more advanced than usual. I will not make that mistake in the future.

Susan said...

Ah, geez, Jenn. I hope it didn't spoil your appetite! There are, if I remember correctly, now five tick-borne diseases, including Lymes. Of course, that was last year's news - I'm sure it's doubled. My biggest fear is that I will become resistant to any antibiotics they use.

Susan said...

I could use a toddy of any kind, my dear. And it is the only kind I can have for a couple of weeks. Although not specifically forbidden, I always err on the side of complete caution. (Usually, after the fact.)

Susan said...

Me, neither! It was a doozy!

Susan said...

It still doesn't touch your spider bite, Kristina. I still get the chillywillies when I think of that.

Susan said...

No, not at all! I didn't see an earlier comment in my moderator's list - pesky Blogger!

Susan said...

Yes, I actually found ANOTHER tick imbedded this morning. Geez. I have a call in to my doctor to make sure I have a long enough course of ABs to cover this one, too. It's never ending. Don't congratulate me, I am a nut job and can't stand to sit still for more than a day. I am my own worst enemy.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Glad you caught it, immediate treatment is key - and you did that. We live in Lyme country - literally two towns over is Lyme, CT, where supposedly, but not really, it all started. We pull ticks off ourselves and our animals regularly - I've had horses with Lyme, dogs with Lyme, my son had Lyme, I'm tested regularly for it -I suspect the "Fibromyalgia" I have been diagnosed with is actually Lyme.

Susan said...

Horrible for you. Is there a risk of your symptoms dragging on or will all be good with the fast and furious treatment? Canadian doctors are on the whole useless at diagnosing Lyme disease and would much rather tell you it is all in your head. Coincidentally, the day I read your post there was a programme on the radio about a Lyme disease vaccine almost at usage point. It has been shelved by the maker as the final development costs were proving too expensive. From what I understood it is now lingering on a government shelf somewhere. Pleeese rest.

Susan said...

You would think that doctors would be up to speed and hyper-vigilant when diagnosing anyone in the Northeast. Sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia. Has any of your doctors followed up on the Lyme's connection?

Susan said...

I'm sure the folks who pump out doxycycline are in there, pushing a vaccine to the back of the shelf. What a pity that our world has become greed-driven. There is so much potential for so much good that won't see the light of day because it can't pay for itself (in a BIG way). I am such a cynic. I'm shuffling around, trying to get small things done. Anything checked off the to-do list is a plus, no matter how small!

tpals said...

I read recently that there is a serious problem with false negatives on testing Lyme disease, so I'm glad yours was caught. Hugs to you.

Elaine said...

I'm so glad you got your diagnosis and treatment early. I wish I was able to help you check a few items off the to-do list, I know you are normally something of a human dynamo (and you do have lots of commitments) but indulge in a bit of sofa and dog therapy, it helps the antibiotics to work much more efficiently. ;)

Nancy In Boise said...

lad you're better! Looks nasty!!! Glad the rain is easing off ;)

Rain said...

Oh my gosh Susan!!! Lyme disease??? You poor thing, I hope you are okay! By the way, are you keeping Layla? I hope you take care of yourself my friend. xx

wisps of words said...

May 26th

Hope you are getting a bit better, or at least, holding your own. Be well soooon!!!!!!

Buttons alias Grace said...

OH, Susan my heart is aching for you. Lyme is such a worry to those of us who are outside. The ticks here are horrendous. In Ontario Canada where I live they have dropped the ball on testing and treating and such. PLEASE PLEASE take care and please slow down OK. Life is not all about work.
XO HUGS B/Grace