Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Finding the bright side, even if you have to dig very, very deep.

I guess there is a bright side to insomnia - bright being the key word here.
I L.O.V.E. these!
Straight off the needles, ends woven in, but not blocked.  I think I have enough yarn to make another pair.  Good thing, because my mother wants some in a more summery weight yarn (in progress) and my sister wants a pair.  And my mother wants me to knit her sister, my aunt, a pair.  And Marianne would like a pair....
These warm my hippie heart.
I prefer wool, myself, in any climate, as it's breathable, wicks away moisture and comes from sheep!  I also happen to have an 'ample' (cough, cough) stash of wool sock yarn.  So, thank you again, Terry.  Mama is happy!


One of my biggest challenges in finding a bright side came yesterday.  I had my chimney sweep come to look at my fireplace chimney - now set on the roof at a rather bon vivant angle.  All it needs is a beret.  There was, however, no good news.  The pipe had come apart about mid-length, the boot that seals it to the metal roof is kaput.  The inner pipe had been compressed to the point that it, in its relationship to the outer pipe which, in a perfect world would create a cooling space, was also kaput.  In order to replace what needs to be replaced and fix what can be fixed, they will have to cut a large hole in the bedroom wall.  I am waiting for the estimate - which will immediately be sent to the insurance company - and girding my loins for the siege.  BUT WAIT!  After much pondering (and gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair), I found a bright side!  I must now deal with finishing the skirting and sorting of the bazillion fleeces that have been stacked in the corner of my bedroom so that (a) they can reach the access wall and (b) I can elevate myself from borderline hoarder to borderline normal!  Being all fired up, I contacted the local mill and - lo and behold - they are having a Wool Pool at a local fairground, which is about halfway between my house and the mill.  I can bring ALL my wool and we will sort it and sell some and process the rest.  The best part about it?  It is happening soon.  That means that I cannot drag my saggy butt around in its usual state of perpetual procrastination.  I have to act now.  Lawsymercy.  If the weather cooperates, I will be hauling those fleeces (fleeci?) that still need skirting out to the deck during what little time I have this weekend and trying to get it all sorted by June 1.  Icandoit, icandoit, icandoit.....chug, chug, chug.





18 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I love those socks!! I just called the chimney sweep ten minutes ago to clean out ours - it's a mess from this long, cold winter - repairs done two years ago so hopefully there will be none of that.

Susan said...

Aren't they great? I love the colors! Too much snow on the roof for my pipe - but, with fingers crossed, I will go into this winter with a) bracing, b) snow guards and c) something they call a cricket - that protects the pipe from snow build-up. I am taking no chances!

Theresa said...

You can do it! And getting some processed fiber back will be DELIGHTFUL or is Delicious? Both! Love the socks, so nice and bright. I'm with you though, I wear wool socks all year, wool or none at all. The chimney, can it be taken down and rebricked, new flue clay or stove pipe and a wood stove or do you already have one....Thank heavens it is covered less deductible, by insurance.
Pets to critters one and all.

wisps of words said...

Hooray for a silver lining, in a very unhappy happening... The Chimney Saga!

And hooray for a soon solution. I agree, now is best. Give us too much time, and we run out of steam, on our good intentions. ,-)

Sorry about the insomnia, even if you use it well. Still need your sleep. With alllllll you dooooooo, especially.

Michelle said...

Kinda like me taking reservations for fleeces still on sheeps; there's nothing like pressure to make you get the job done! =:-O

Susan said...

I keep having a recurring nightmare that I am overtaken and moved out of my house by yarn... The 'chimney' is actually a double walled metal pipe. The snow bent it sufficiently to compress the inside pipe to the point where the air wouldn't flow evenly around it. I will give them each a kiss on the top of their pointy heads from you.

Susan said...

Since there is nothing you can do about most things, it's much saner to find something good in it. I seem to go in insomnia jags, and then I sleep fine for a couple of weeks. Oh, well, at least I get a lot of things done!

Susan said...

THAT is pressure!

Goatldi said...

Oh my! Whoever knew alpaca could look so good! Love them. I will be going over to Karen's next week for a free spinning circle focusing on Navajo plying. May need to stop in her shop for just a smidgen.

Since you are tearing down the wall is there anything you can do to reroute the whole shebang so if (oh don't slap me) this happens again it will an easier fix?

I love your plan but may I play devils advocate? Please understand I am not accusing you of being weak or the fleece plan not being a great and well timed process. However I am saying that I know from personal , ahem, experience how this works. You go through all your fleeces and take them to the pool you sell some , you send some to the mill. Great but then looking around you see fleece, glorious fleece. Oh that would be nice, but I really don't need more fleece. But it is here and who knows if I will ever see that person again in this life. And it is an excellent price even with the mill cost. And, and trust me the stash queen.

I had the largest collection of LaMancha and Nubian semen in my nitro tank for years. I kept having bucks collected thinking I will do this some day. Long story short in the end I ended up never AI'ing one single doe. Why? Because I had 6 bucks for gosh sake and I loved each and everyone of them and I liked natural service. And , and well it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I rest my case and being on your side wish you the best of luck.

Goatldi said...

Oh Michelle
Easy fix. Large really large box. Fed Ex said "if it fits , it ships".

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Schlep those fleeces to the Wool Pool STAT!

Those bright sox look super in your Birkenstocks.

Tewshooz said...

One can never have too many fleeces or yarn. There, fixed it for you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love your attitude for the bright side. I love those socks!

ElaineChicago said...

I love the Mills. Rather be spinning than processing. What will you do with all the roving? I didn't know you were a spinner.

Mama Pea said...

I've found I can't wear nice, hand-knitted wool sox in the warm weather. (Darn and drat.) Have to go back to the ordinary cotton ones from J.C. Penney. But keep on knitting for all those "orders" you have from friends and family. When you can't sleep, does taking melatonin do any good for you? Doesn't seem to help me. :o(

You know I'm not into fleece, but I have enough yarn to last me through all (well, most) of eternity. But, isn't that a good feeling? When and if I would ever run out of yarn, my fabric stash will keep me going. There's so much to be thankful for. ;o)

Ed said...

I tend to look at the bright side. At least you had a roof over your head all winter!

Susan said...

I have no idea what a Wool Pool is, I hope we get details, even pictures.

Dirt Lover said...

Oh, holy cow, I LOVE those socks! Good for you to be the little cleaning/straightening/organizing/de-hoarding queen! You go! You'll love it when it gets done, although no fun doing the actual cleaning and such....
~~Lori