Most disappointing of all, was the fact that Layla's potential adopter backed out at the last minute. An entire week of answering questions, scheduling and rescheduling, yada yada, and they left a voicemail message (called late at night so there was a very good chance I would not answer the phone, cowards!) saying they decided "it wasn't the right time". Good lord. I have a feeling it was because she isn't "a breed" and their last dog was a little purebred something or other. Whatever. Obviously, they did not deserve her. I picked up some giant marrow bones and treated all three (and me, by default) to a blissful Sunday afternoon of gnawing.
On Saturday, I left the house at 8:15 and pulled in the driveway at 5:15. The dogs are starting to demand I show some ID when I walk in the door - honestly, it's as bad as working six days a week. I didn't set up my farm work on Sunday, because I didn't find out I'd be home until that morning. This gave me the opportunity to overwork on Sunday - see? I didn't remember and no one reminded me. I am not safe on my own.
Fence work is to start this week. Supposedly, but I will believe it when I see it. In the meantime, I picked up a mineral block for the sheep and they were thrilled and it will keep them occupied for at least half of the week.
A neighbor very generously gave me plant starts from her lovely garden. At 5:30 on Sunday afternoon. Sigh. I had just spent from 8:30 - 5:15 weeding and planting and cleaning up. I watered her plants well and put them in shade. I hope they can hold up until I can squeeze in time to plant them. We had spent a lovely 20 minutes in her peaceful backyard with a glass of wine (from 5:30-5:50 on Saturday -- see? I'm now micromanaging my social time...) where we both bemoaned the fact that, since we are single, have homes, work full time, we never have time to do anything except on weekends. This proves my theory that people may listen to you, but they don't hear you. Ergo, she shows up at the end of my weekend with six plants that need to be put in the ground. I still don't know where I'm putting four of the six plants, but I guess I'll figure that out.
Saturday night I baked a rhubarb pie, using a Martha Stewart recipe that was easy to adapt to GF. It sure was a mess, but YUM! Of course, it was a mess because I followed the recipe for a normal 9" pie crust and all pre-made GF crusts (as well as any type of baked good) is much smaller. So you can be sure you are paying wa-a-a-a-y more for it than a regular pie crust (or any baked good). Nevertheless, it was delicious. I will make another for the local library's Pie a la Mode celebration during the Fourth of July parade. Maybe I'll go crazy and make one of each - GF and normal.
|Thank goodness it was on foil AND parchment,|
or I'd be eating it off the baking tray...
The garden is finally taking shape - this is the latest ever. However, we do need rain - badly. I think I may have jinxed us by putting in a second rain barrel. I have enough rain in the original barrel to water the garden judiciously for another week or so. There isn't a solid forecast for rain in the next 10 days, though. Let's hope they are wrong!
|You can see how close the truck|
|About 90% of the worst weeds are gone. Three|
areas are going to be covered in weed cloth/cardboard/whatever
so that I have a fighting chance next year.
|Currant bushes are laden with future fruit!|
|Biggify to see the blueberries.|