Pages

Friday, November 30, 2018

Strapping in for the weekend.

'Tis the season!


I don't know what I'd do without my dry erase boards.  As long as I remember to list what I need to make, I am relatively sure I will be able to focus on the task.  Relatively.  Since we got 10 inches of snow on Tuesday into Wednesday (a 'little' more than the two inches predicted - where do they come up with their forecasts?  An Ouija Board?), I opted to take a snow day.  Other than shoveling my little arms off and dishing out the birdseed, I managed to make a half gallon of yogurt:
Have I mentioned how much I love
my Instant Pot?  Now that I fixed it?
And a batch of Mama Pea's cottage cheese.  The cookie list is for my holiday baking.  Marianne somehow (without trying on her part) got me all excited about a local town's tree lighting ceremony that she is spearheading.  Let me just add here that, if you want something done, call Marianne.  There is no stopping her.  She needed a list of local businesses and was given a handwritten list by the town clerk that was at least eight years out of date.  Yes, handwritten.  So, notebook in hand, Marianne visited every single business in her town and created an Excel spreadsheet, which she gave to the clerk.  I didn't even bother to put up a fight when she mentioned there would be a cookie table and visit with Santa afterward, nudge, nudge.  I am bringing seven dozen cookies.  Sometimes it's enough to be in the same room with her, to reenergize my batteries.


Almost all holiday gifts this year (and there are very few, thank goddess) are being handmade.  I have narrowed my list to people who appreciate them and my family, who have no choice.  Of course, my youngest sister has requested leg warmers and that kid has the longest legs in the family!  I've already given my mother a wool shawl in vibrant colors to brighten up our never-sunny weather, and a pair of socks.  I figure, since I refer to all gift knitting as 'seasonal' and not holiday, I can stretch the creation of same into February.  Crafty, ain't I?


I'm going to mix up the dough for a couple of the cookies ahead of time and then bake the whole mess next Friday night and Saturday morning.  The tree lighting is on the 8th, so I will try to remember to take pics - in the dark, hmmm.


Wednesday, when I was at the peak of morning shoveling, I heard a "kerthunk!" in the area of my sliding glass door.  I hurried over and there was a tiny White Breasted Nuthatch on the deck, stunned.  I gently picked him up and went to put him in a sheltered spot until he caught his breath.  He wouldn't loosen his grip on my glove, so I ended up doing chores one-handed, while having a lovely, one-sided chat with the little bit of wonderfulness.  It was totally enchanting.  After ten minutes or so, he perked up, yet still sat on my hand for another ten minutes longer.  I think it was because of the warmth of my gloved hand.  Whatever the reason it was pure magic.  He gave a little flutter, I lifted my hand in the air and off he went.


 I have a lot to do this weekend - sauerkraut, applesauce, making and canning vegetable broth, mending a gate, more shoveling, etc., etc.  I also need to pick up the ingredients for my famous Glog, a potent brew that will warm the cockles of your everything.  It's going to be a weekend of lists and more lists.  Much of my work will be inside because, well, they're predicting rain.


I mean...why not?

12 comments:

Mama Pea said...

RAIN!!?? After 10" of snow? That's just not right.

Have to say, once again, how much I appreciate your blog posts and your wonderful sense of humor. You may be having gray days, but you spread sunshine with your ability to inject vim, vitality and humor into your writing about your adventures! Hugs.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Ok, so, question: I am thinking of doing the whole Instant Pot thing. What size do you have? Does it even make sense to buy the smaller one? Is it worth it? Why did you have to fix yours? -Jenn

jaz@octoberfarm said...

is the white breasted nuthatch in concussion proto call?

Michelle said...

Better rain than 10" of snow; at least you don't have to SHOVEL snow. =:-O

I have had making cookie dough to freeze on my to-do list for days (weeks?). Sigh.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I loved your rescue of the nuthatch!

Theresa said...

Can I be exhausted just from reading your blog? I oversaw the great move today, walked miles of corridors, or really, just the same corridors, a lot. Maybe I'll do some baking myself this weekend. Snow predicted.
Aren't nuthatches simply magical little birds? Glad the little guy made it.

ellen abbott said...

What a gift that little nuthatch was! and you are busy as ever in some sort of maniacal competition with Marianne.

Rain said...

I'm all for warming the cockles. :) How amazing, what a great experience with the nuthatch!!! I love your cookie list. I have a dry-erase board on my fridge too...and one in my office. Love those things!

Ed said...

We keep a whiteboard for our shopping list tacked to a wall next to the oven and near the trashcan. This way when someone runs out of something and is tossing it away, they can mark it down so it gets reordered. Then to make things all hi-tech, before going shopping I take a cellphone picture of the whiteboard to reference when in the store. It has worked well for us over the years.

Elaine said...

I love your posts - they can be exhausting, with all that you do, but they also energise and inspire. This one has filled my head with the texture of knitting, beautiful colour, plus the delights of baking cookies. Most of all, though, the story of the lucky little Nuthatch and her amazing good fortune in falling into the healing hands of a good person with warm hands!

wyomingheart said...

I can't imagine a little Nuthatch in my hand for a minute, let alone 20 minutes...Wow, you were really blessed!... I am a terrible cookie maker, but a crazy cookie eater...lol...Dec 4th is National Cookie Day... Guess I'll just have to celebrate for the cause...don't ya know... Have a grand time at the Christmas tree lighting! Hope PB and the rest of the crew are doing good!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Whew! On all levels! Glad the nuthatch made it. I hate when something like that happens. Glad you were there to help :-).