Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Welcome to the House of Liver!

This past weekend was pretty much 50 percent high frustration and 50 percent satisfaction.  That's not bad, given my usual percentages.

On Saturday, I was scheduled to pick up my latest foster dog (I know, I know), so I headed out to meet him at a halfway point - about an hour and a half away.   An hour and a half on the highway.  Have I mentioned how much dread befalls my heart for every second I have to drive on any road with more than two lanes?  We met, moved the old gentleman from her car to mine, exchanged paperwork and then off I went.  C was 13, had been found as a stray - later found to have been adopted many years prior and then dumped when he was old, tottery and was tested positive for heartworm.  Don't get me started.  I figured it was worth the trip, as I have a very soft spot in my heart for senior dogs/cats and he had been deemed good with all animals, large and small.

Within 10 minutes of being introduced to the kitchen - the "introduction area" for all fosters - he peed on the floor twice, on two beds and left me a 3 lb 'package'.  After having been walked outside for 15 minutes.  This was without starting his prescription for Prednisone.  Gah.  Still, he was a sweet boy and had a friendly, low-key interest in L & P.  Then Slimmie sauntered by to see what all the hubbub was about.  C went into laser focus and, had I not been physically nearby, would have taken down any barrier to get at him.  Sigh.  I keep forgetting that, when dogs are assessed in a kennel situation, they are usually a) shutdown or b) super-hyper and are not their true selves.  I am very lucky that the rescue I foster for are very responsive and sensitive and jumped on the problem right away.  A spot was found for C at the kennel they work with - and not an hour from me - so back into the car we went.  By the time I got him there and settled and got back home, it was almost dark.  I poured myself a healthy measure of an adult beverage, sat on my chair and a half and was covered with much-relieved furry bodies.  Other than that?  Nothing got done.

Which led to Sunday's madness.

Remember this?
As of Sunday night - and, since I
only half-cleaned the gardens, I didn't
check it off.  I'm virtuous that way.
Full disclosure:  I didn't do everything on that list on Sunday.  I just built the quail hutch stand, cut Lovey's nails, put metal flashing over all signs of entry and other flat surfaces that the rats have attacked on the chicken coop, ran the extension to said coop, set up the bird feeders, cut the tarps off the hoop house and took down all the wood sheathing, moved the hoop house (slowly and painfully) back to its original position, baked oatmeal raisin cookies for the barn, made a pot of lentil/quinoa soup, another round of GF bagels and....

Made liver treats for the dogs.  My friend who raises Randall beef cattle had given me an entire beef liver (7+ lbs) and a beef heart, along with 30 lbs of marrow bones.  Just to show you how much I love my dogs, I processed 2# of beef liver and 6 cloves of garlic in my food processor (totally gross), then mixed two cups of organic, GF oats into the mess, spread it in a pan and baked it in a slow oven for two hours.  There are many baking aromas I love, but baked liver is not one of them.  Pfft,  However, these make great, healthy treats and you can't beat the cost.
Finished product
My friends, S & C, dropped by to help me move the quail hutch onto the new, sturdier base, and I gave them a bunch of treats for their huge crew.  I also gave my dairy farmer neighbor some for his seven rescue Chihuahuas (don't even knock on their door), as he delivered and stacked the rest of my hay!

While I was stripping down the hoop house, I let Lovey and the Pat tear-ass around the double fenced enclosure.  What a ball they had!  The Pat was airborne most of the time and they romped and rassled and had a grand time of it.  After days and days of rain, it was nice to have a second day in a row with no wetness.
Out cold.

There's a Butter Pat under that
pile of blankets
We all staggered in around 4:30 and collapsed.  The dogs were roused briefly for dinner and then returned to the sofa, where they stayed until breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, this is my new breakfast du jour - roasted Delicata squash with a butter pat (not of the furry variety)!
Delicata Delicioso!


jaz@octoberfarm said...

well, the w's would love those treats for sure! my two have been having a blast outside in the cold. when they come inside they pass out until their batteries recharge. no snow here yet...damn!

Susan said...

Ours didn't last - it was too wet and slushy. But it was pretty for five minutes!

Leigh said...

I'm amazed at how much you get done! And live to tell about it. Must try delicata next year.

Lynne said...

What a great healthy treat for the dogs. Gosh you did get a lot accomplished on the week-end. Love how the dogs just chill out on the sofa. Have a good week !

Theresa said...

OMG, seven chi's!! Death by a thousand cuts....
I just did up some delicate for dinner with a spinach and feta croissant. I cubed it and we ate the skin. Heathens no doubt.
I'm not showing the liver treats to the kids. They will likely find me quite lacking since I probably won't be cooking any....

ellen abbott said...

poor old boy. some people deserve to be abandoned in the cold. I'm still amazed at how much you accomplish without the aid of illegal drugs. I think about accomplishing a lot of stuff but only manage about half.

Charade said...

I thought garlic and onions were not good for dogs. Looked it up on the pet poison dot com website, and this is what it said:

"Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are in the Allium family, and are poisonous to both dogs and cats if the dose is right. Garlic is considered to be about five times as toxic as onions for cats and dogs. ... While minute amounts of these foods in some pets, especially dogs, may be safe, large ingestions can be very toxic."

I've always wanted to give my dogs garlic, as it seems it would be beneficial to them. ???

Mama Pea said...

The dogs' liver treats look like good fudge. And those 30 lbs. of bones for them . . . what a winter they have to look forward to!

You are such a kind-hearted soul to do the fostering of dogs that you do. And bless you for it. At the same time, why subject yourself (and your own kids) to all the hassle and possible injury to one of you? There must be other potential foster homes that would have an easier time of it. I just would like to see you have less stress in your life. And for you to have time to join the dogs on the sofa and relax.

Michelle said...

I made liver cookies ONCE, decades ago, for my Doberman. Worst smell EVER from baking them, after getting PTSD from what looked like pureeing frogs in my blender. ACK.UGH.GAK.

Susan said...

When I read your post I had just slapped frozen liver on the counter ready for dog treats. My dogs turn into jelly if I even say the word, Liveeer.

Thank goodness there are people like you shoveling good into the world in face of adversity. The heartwarming story in our neck of the woods: a rescue dog got lost in a series of calamities on the way to his new home. For a whole week, it seems the entire town has been looking for him, yesterday he was found, hungry but otherwise OK.

Keep up the good work doggy people, you are going to save the world.

Kristina said...

Awesomely cheap treats to make! Looks like you got a ton done. Glad you gave yourself a break.

tpals said...

The thought of the liver smell...shudder, but, oh, how your dogs must love you.

ElaineChicago said...

Well, you are just a whirlwind!! You get so much done while trying to wrangle the kids + hold down a full time job so far away!! Any news on a new job for you yet?

Rain said...

You're so good to foster dogs. Senior dogs are a soft spot for me too. Jack was 9 when we got him,not quite a senior, but nobody wanted him, boo my advantage!! :) The dogs are cute, I'm sure they love those liver snacks!!