Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Human origami, anklets and at least there's Spring inside.

I am slowly settling into my car.  Apparently, I have become my mother and am fighting change at every turn.  Good gawd.  I used to embrace change - demand change - create a change for change's sake.  Now I grumble and fret.  This needs to be addressed, toot sweet, as they say in Paree.
Basically, my car.
 Can I point out that there is a mere fraction of an inch between the pavement and the bottom of the car?  While this would have been a breeze when I was 30, I am now finding that I must fold my limbs in a complicated and death-defying manner in order to get into and out of my car.  Once I'm in, I'm fine.  No more worrying that the profile of my car will lend itself to being blown off the high, scary bridge.  As a plus, I am so low that I no longer need to look vaguely to the left or right so that I won't notice that I am three miles above the Hudson River in a speeding tin can, surrounded by lunatics.


I have also just realized how traumatized my Hyundai has left me.  I imagine dire sounds, worry that the wheels will come off when I go around a curve.  It's going to take time and deep breathing.


My sweater knitting was on hold for a bit.  It seems that, as soon as momentum has ceased, so does my focus.  All I had to do was a light steam blocking so I could start the sleeves.  That was weeks ago.  I finally forced myself to take the five minutes it took to steam it.  So now I'm a hand-wringing wreck of a procrastinator with creaky joints.  Lawsymercy.
While I was procrastinating, I knit up a pair of anklets for my youngest sis out of the yarn I had used on her (creep of a) boyfriend's socks.  (I hope your socks shrink.  You know who you are.)  Anyhow, she should enjoy them.  I believe I might knit up some more of these babies -  but with a little cuff instead of a roll (Rose City Rollers is the pattern, if interested).  However, they will have to wait until I finish the sweater.  Yes, I pulled up my BGPs and started the sleeves.


The weather is still below freezing at night, which is very frustrating, but still better than below 0.  It's been alternately windy, cloudy, foggy, rainy, cloudy.  Thank goodness one has seeds, right?  Even if this one has now set herself up for Tomatogeddon.  I started twenty tomato plants, conveniently forgetting that Marianne has started another 40 or so for me.  I guess I will have enough tomatoes this year.  I also started two kinds of kale - a brilliant blue and a Russian red.  My peppers, celery, celeriac and bibb lettuce seeds have germinated:
Such a lovely sight.


One type of pepper has yet to germinate as well as my marigolds.  I still have more to sow.  When the weather gets me down, I toddle back to the office/craft/greenhouse room and snort soil fumes.
Sorry for the blurry pic - top row is
first planting; second is tomatoes and
third is kale.
I also need to deal with my willow cuttings, which have gone crazy in their bucket.  Since the ground is still frozen and there is 'talk' of a colder-than-normal end of the month (just shoot me), I may have to put them in pots until I can safely put them in the ground.
Roots!

Starting to leaf and sprout little
catkin-thingies.
Last weekend (and, in my case, weekend means Sunday), I took the Plexiglas storm windows off the quail hutch and washed them (two eggs a day, so far!) but put them back on every night, gave the hutch a thorough cleaning and re-vowed to do this ever week, and swept off the deck.  While I was at it, I decided to check the grill - I wasn't too worried about mice, as I could still smell the moth balls - only to find that they had wedged in a condo and then had the bad manners to die on my grill pan.  It's a good thing I checked, as I have plans to lure my friends, Steve and Christina, to a deconstruction party, followed by BBQ and literary cocktails (Tequila Mockingbird, anyone?)  I have the box fan going under the house during the day - I'm trying to stave off mold! - and am slowly, but surely, checking things off my list.  It's such a big list.... 







11 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I refuse to make a list. if I made a list I'd swoon and give up before I started. I prefer to look around and attack whatever is yelling at me the loudest. I did finally, today, get out there and connect two of the flower beds, something I've been planning to do for two years. after the rain on sunday the dirt was perfect for digging out grass and weeds...not too wet, not too dry. at this rate we'll be in high summer before you ever get spring.

Sam I Am...... said...

You are such a great post writer and I really enjoy them! I just posted about my seedlings...first year of trying from seed after about 20 years or more. I used to be a good gardener but that was in the midwest where if you can't grow things there, there's something wrong with you. Here, in the Ozarks I have weird critters and bugs and weeds that are so invasive you have to container garden...you have no choice! I wish I was up North again...trust me...be thankful! It was 87 here today! Huh? We had like 2 days of Spring.
I have a Tahoe so I am way above ground but I would get swept off the bridge! At my age I doubt if I could get in that car...lol! Your seedlings look great and the willows are definitely 'rooted'. Your party sounds like fun and I hope 'Wesley' (the new snow cyclone') skips over your area!
Oh, your socks are darling! I have that pattern 'faved' on Ravelry but not sure I could wear wool in the summer here. I do wear socks but cotton seems like it might be really hard to work with for socks? I've only ever used wool. Good job on getting to the sleeves. I do the same thing and all my projects are like a slow boat to China but in my defense...I am persistent. I can't wait to see the sweater! Take care.

Joanne Noragon said...

All your hard work is making me tired. I can't keep at it very long these days.

Michelle said...

Hey ho; two quail eggs a day!?! At least SOMEthing is looking up! Sounds like you've learned a lesson about knitting for less than worthy folk; glad your sister is still willing to wear the same color! We have been see-sawing through the fall, winter, and now spring; instead of predictable patterns, we have 2-3 weeks of this season, followed by a month of that season, then another few weeks of a different season. March was extremely dry; April is turning out very wet with lots of flooding south of us. At least Rick got the garden tilled when it was dry last month!

Susan said...

I love your nonchalant shrug regarding tomatogeddon. C'est la vie.
If only your socks would shrink with his feet inside them. If they do I will commission a pair for a JOAB close to home.

wyomingheart said...

Pesky mice...Dang those little buggers! We have an old farm house, and I have done battle with those chewing machines! My best deterrent has been cotton balls with peppermint essential oil on them. Those little rodents hate peppermint and spearmint! Years ago I kept loosing my cabbage to those bat tards, and I finally planted spearmint around my cabbage, and never had another cabbage spoiled by them. The benefit is that the cats and dogs don't mind the mints, and it makes the house smell great too!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Good to hear you are having time for handiwork. My car is low to the ground too, and I'm tall, so getting out is a big issue. I love the truck, and glad Hubby leaves it home to drive to town. You plants look great!

Nancy In Boise said...

Good having a safer car! I finally started seeds, it just went quite raining! Big muddy mess. Cute socks!

Annsterw said...

Those socks are awesome! That is mad skills in my eyes...I can not even repair a hole in mine let alone knit a new pair!! Annster's Domain

Retired Knitter said...

Ha! I feel exactly the same way about bridges!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is one pretty sweet ride! Enjoy!