Pages

Friday, September 20, 2019

OMGIF!

I would have been a lot happier about it being Friday, if the thermometer wasn't registering 38 degrees.  I shouldn't complain, as the morning before (actually - more middle of the night) was 33!!!  Since I do not have television, listen to the radio or read the news, I would have completely missed the Frost Warning.  Because, it is mid SEPTEMBER and I am not thinking about things freezing yet.  I happened to be procrastinating doing my evening chores and was thumbing through Facebook.  On a local news channel story, I saw the red banner - Frost Warning.  I looked at the date of the article to see if a) it was fake news and b) if it was real news, but from last year.  No such luck.  It was real news and it was actually going to get low enough for the chance of frost in mid SEPTEMBER.  (You can see that I am still in denial.)  Sighing mightily, I slogged off to get covers for the lemon tree, fig tree, basil, and mandevilla vine.  By the time I was finished, my deck looked like the dress rehearsal for a Halloween play.

I was very glad I forced myself out of denial and into reality.  The top of the lemon tree's sheet was frozen.  There was ice on my windshield!  Holeygeezloueeze.  Yes, yes, I know, Joyce.  But -- again -- mid SEPTEMBER.  Now that I am on alert, I check the weather each evening.  It looks like the next week or so is back to more normal night time temperatures.  I should hope.

I have had to rummage around and find sweaters in the morning, then peel them off mid-day, as the temperatures go back into the high sixties/low seventies.  I have yet to go out into the garden to see if there is any frost damage.  I may get up in the wee hours but, since we already are down to six hours of daylight, I don't end up with time enough to do more than basic chores in the morning before work and it's dangerously close to darkness when I get home.  Last night, after work, I met someone to hand off a cast iron frying pan (I did feel that having five was a little too close to hoarding), then swung by my neighbor's to pick up a block of feta that he picked up from BJ's for me.  I paid over $4 for a small, dinky piece of feta at the local grocery store and this bad boy is over two pounds (think 2/3 of your standard brick but in cheese form) and was $10.  Pfft.  I am going to miss my garden this winter - food prices continue to go up.

Tomorrow, along with my weekly trip to Goodwill and swing by the parental palace, I am going to a free knitting clinic at a local-ish Shaker Museum.  I am determined to go out and meet new people, as I feel I am starting to lean towards feral.  I love this museum - it's a restored Shaker community in a lovely rural setting - and the clinic is to knit squares for a charitable cause.  What is not to love?  If I have my wits about me, I will take pictures.  Sunday will be a work day, but I am having a friend over for dinner in the early evening - that way, I will have to stop myself at a decent hour.  It's a sad state of affairs when you have to try and trick yourself - and it works.  I am hoping, also, to unload more items that are cluttering up my psyche (you know, avarice, gluttony, whiney-ness, hehe...)

11 comments:

Goatldi said...

Not too far behind you at 56. Ok no frost but this the central Sierra foothills . But then what do I know having only lived in the San Joaquin Valley floor? I expect time will change that the knowledge part.

I would have taken your skillet I only have three so one more would be great and not thrown me into hoarding status.

Good for you on all the scores. Love the knitting clinic. Pictures please. I too have no TV but only in my dreams. As some may remember from my blog (yes it is out there still I think) to TV or not TV was always a hot topic in our marriage. I deferred and he watched. But now it sits in my living room as a mostly silent
dark screen except when I watch the news so I feel as if I know something. And of course looking for reports of potential frost.

Off to milk as Miss. Willa calls.



jaz@octoberfarm said...

we are still in the 80's and barely going into the lower 60's at night so our summer continues! not happy one bit. i'm trying to ignore it and baked 2 gingerbread cakes and rye bread this morning. popcorn balls are next. i'm celebrating this time of year like it's my last whether mother nature cares to join me or not!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've always been fascinated by Shakers. I'd love to go to that museum.

Michelle said...

I eyed my deck geraniums this morning. Need to whack 'em back HARD so they are ready to move to the daylight basement for the winter. No frost here yet, but their appearance says summer is over. So glad, too, even though ours was nice and normal for a change. Was surprised when I went to the garden last night and saw how much there was to pick! Thought our rainy September may have turned everything to mush. 'Free food' for a bit longer....

ellen abbott said...

insanity! already frost at night and only 6 hours of daylight? no no nope.

Lynne said...

It's been very chilly here at night ,also. The other morning had to put heat up for an hour to take the chill out. The knit in sounds like fun. I've always like the way the Quaker's live. Would be nice to see pictures, if you could! Take care!!

Susan said...

I eyed my sweater this morning wondering if I should wear it to the climate action rally I'm forcing myself to attend. Passionate about climate change but bordering on becoming a complete hermit, and loving it, decided I'd better do "something".

Joanne Noragon said...

I relate too well to getting out to meet people, and tricking myself into ending a project to begin another. Fortunately I have this weaving gig to keep me occupied until thanksgiving, and then what? I had to explain to someone recently about the difficulty of inserting oneself into the life or lives to other people. i.e., finding new friends.

Rain said...

We got down to zero C last night so I picked my tomatoes, green and all. My lemon tree died this year, sigh. It's too early for frozen car windows!

Ed said...

Way too early for freezing temperatures. I still have painting to do outside!

Nancy In Boise said...

46 this morning here! Hot weather is done, and fall is in the air here as well.