Pages

Monday, January 27, 2020

My reputation as eccentric is now cemented.


My friend/farmer has sold his farm.  I am currently negotiating the status of the farm cats that I feed daily.  Needless to say, I have grown quite fond of them and want to insure that their care is maintained.  One is definitely feral and the other is semi-feral.  As a result of the sale, he has to empty his barn of hay.  He asked if I would like him to fill my barn (yes!!) and, when I went out to feed the sheep Saturday morning, I opened the door to hay bales stacked to the roof!  As any of you who deal with hay know, this is a sight to warm the cockles.  It also smells like summer.  I just love the smell of hay, so I leaned forward, pressed my forehead against the hay, closed my eyes and just inhaled.  Just as neighbors drove by.  They apparently thought I was in some sort of distress, because there was a squeal of brakes and they reversed, rolling down the window on the passenger side and calling out.  I straightened up and told them I was just enjoying the hay.  The window went quickly up and the tires actually chirped as they sped off, most likely eyeing me warily in the rear view mirror.

It's been either pouring rain, snowing, or windy as all get-out.  Sometimes all at the same time.  This has been a weird winter and I am hoping against all odds that things settle down by spring.  I think we are due for an uneventful, good gardening year.  Am I right?

I now have a tiny squirrel, as well as a tiny rabbit, residing on the homestead.  He/she is not afraid of me in the least bit, which is worrisome.  Now I have to carefully scan the deck and surrounding area to make sure the coast is clear before I let the dogs out.  I went out to berate him and he sat there, peanut skewered on his front teeth and looked at me - then went back to the peanut without a care in the world.  Sigh.

The gloomy weather is making everyone cranky.  Baby Dumpling, the lowest hen in the pecking order, is being beset upon by everyone, including the ducks.  I have to intervene and then carry her around while I do chores so that she catches a break.  There is one particular hen that seems to delight in torturing her (Cruella) and she had better watch her step.  I am thinking about making a roost for the duck house and putting BD and her sister there during the nights.  At least she would get a break and not be alone.

Typical gloomy morning chores
Linden would like to know where
I am keeping the sun.
It was the usual jam-packed weekend, where I didn't get even a quarter of my to-do list done.  I did mail off a package and get a pedicure (although this was a non-color pedi, which always leaves me feeling rather deflated when I look down on my naked toes), did a little shopping, got gas (20 cents a gallon cheaper in VT), and visited with my mother and sister.  That got me home just before dark.  Sunday I met with my friend, Maggie, to celebrate our January birthdays.  I took us to brunch at the best local restaurant, where we enjoyed a flight of mimosas (all citrus-based for health reasons...), huevos rancheros and a breakfast burrito the size of a VW.  It was fun and so good to catch up.  Then it was home to tackled my closet.  I had convinced myself, Cleo Queen of Denial that I am, that it would be a snap to do in an afternoon.  Two hours later, all I had managed to do was to finish the pile of ironing stashed on a shelf and pull out all the shoes/boots and polish them.  I did sort through them and put a couple pair in the GW bag.  I even had the courage to pull out my oldest and most beloved sweat shirt (20+ years and it looks it) to discard.  I finally faced the fact that the neck and sleeve trim, weakened to undulating strips, did not make it ruffled.  It hasn't made it out of the house, however, and I may need an intervention to actually put it in the trash.  I will be lucky if I can finish the closet project over the next month, as it will be competing with the organizing and design of this year's garden.  Those glossy seed catalogs are calling to me from the dining room table...

21 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my, mid-winter hay! Even BETTER than sunshine – although not as good as keeping the friend/good neighbor. :-(

Leigh said...

Well, you have to take time out to celebrate birthdays. That's a priority! And the hay! Wonderful! Better than money in the bank. The scent of summer is a bonus.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

That's awesome on the hay stash. We have a terrible time finding it here, so that's why we haven't gotten goats again. I know what you mean about the closet cleaning. I'm still half way through ours.

Goatldi said...

Some people have windfalls you have hay falls what a deal! Funny that as I was just asking my feed store guy “Mr. Feed Store Guy when is your first cutting hay delivered?” The answer shook me to my core. “I don’t get first cutting hay as I sell most of my head horse people and first cutting alfalfa is way too rich for horses.” In fact he doesn’t get alfalfa until about second or third cutting. Which in this area on the valley floor is around mid March dependent on rain .

I am proud of your purging session. It is true breaking up is hard to do. I have been known to simply let clothes fall off my body in rags before I threw them out and at times the resulting factors can be a little embarrassing. But press on my dear I’m sure that you will get the job done by May.

What did you name the squirrel?

Susan said...

Michelle, you are right - mid-winter hay IS better than sunshine. Or as good as. However, being the greedy soul that I am, I want both.

Leigh, my birthday is at the beginning and hers is at the end, so we usually try to meet in the middle. We have been celebrating our birthdays for the past 14 years. She's a treasure!

Kristina, I am so lucky with hay here. There have been some years where there was only one cutting, but we usually get two. Plus, he insisted I only pay $1.50 a bale! I left a pan of brownies for him. You inspire me to purge! At least I am the only one to blame for the mess - you have your hands full!

T, I am very thankful that we have hay. There are so many areas that have limited supply and the price is astronomical! I have not yet named the tiny squirrel. Any suggestions??

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love the smell of hay too. i've been in the midst of cleaning out 2 closets since before xmas. maybe i'll get it done by easter.

Ed said...

Thanks for the chuckle. Always happens when I do something 'not normal' outside, a neighbor drives by.

Susan said...

Odd people, you would think they would have got out of the car and inhaled the hay alongside of you.

Nancy In Boise said...

Great score and happy birthday! I hope you get a nice, new neighbor.

Goatldi said...

My sister named hers Earl as in Duke of Earl. Because he is bossy and vocal. Disclaimer age sensitive reference. Translates to if you haven’t heard the song. Sigh never mind. 😂

Lynne said...

Seems like you had quite a week-end. Happy Birthday to you! What a great gift of hay. That's a biggie!

Bettina Groh said...

I've always loved the smell of hay! Living in the suburbs now I have to enjoy the smell of freshly cut grass ... almost as good.

Mama Pea said...

Very gray (and damp) and sunless here, too. I thought the gal who checked me out at the Co-op this morning was going to start crying because she said the grayness is getting through to her so much. Poor gal. They're building a house and I can only imagine how that undone, torn-up, messy property and project looks right now.

Well, at least you weren't stretched out, face down prone on a hay bale when the people in the passing vehicle saw you.

Keep up with the closet cleaning. You will reach the back wall if you persevere. Sort of like cleaning in my quilt room. I keep finding things I have no previous recollection of. Hunh.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice day, nice birthday visit. That Linden is a handsome fellow.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That hay would certainly make me happy, too, if I had something other than chickens to feed. Poor hen getting picked on. Chickens are ruthless sometimes. -Jenn

Theresa Y said...

I have that same problem with the woodland creatures great and small. The deer just look at me and giggle when I'm trying to shoo them out of the yard. Then they bring friends to watch the "funny lady who put out a grand salad buffet in spring and summer months" whirl and dance and make shooing noises. Its like a drive through for them. A show while they munch my bushes and trees. Even the ants at work have no respect. I put down gel that suppose to kill them. They never went near the stuff. Instead they circled it in kind of a congo dance and then waved at me as they congo-ed away from the stuff. I swear I heard them giggle. I give up!

Margaret said...

Happy birthday wishes from Ireland.
I use those 'only good for throwing out' sweaters, etc as liners for the pet beds (2 cats, 1 dog). When they've used them for a few months I'm no longer tempted to keep them. But it feels nice to see them enjoy them too.
Margaret

ellen abbott said...

I'm still wearing the sweatshirt I bought for my 40 year old son when he was in middle school. he didn't like it and never wore it so I kept it. it's pretty ragged now. I should probably throw it out and get a new one.

I hope whoever bought your neighbor's farm don't change thing drastically. and I think the squirrel will outrun the dogs and it won't hurt to teach it to be wary. my dog tries to catch them and they just laugh. saw one actually thumbing its nose at Minnie (not really but the squirrel was definitely taunting the dog).

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hay sniffing is a terrible addiction. Wake up, America!

Retired Knitter said...

I loved the image of you with your head against the hay! And the reaction of passers-by - too funny. We should be neighbors. Eccentricity is an absolute thing I LOVE. Life is so interesting with folks like that. Normal is boring!!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Well, ascribe to the philosophy of the Old Woman who wore Purple. Some eccentricity just makes life more interesting. I'm glad for your hay windfall. Sure hope the new neighbors are nice.