Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The long weekend where I stayed home, ate like a goddess and didn't have to do dishes.

My youngest sister spent the long weekend with me and I am basking in 'our' accomplishments.  She is one of those people who is artistic, musical, organized, fun, energetic, and a damn good cook.  And, yes, she is mine and you can't have her.

Thanks to her, my meals were bumped up six levels, my pantry was cleaned out and organized, I can account for all of my dried comestibles, and my spices, oils, vinegars and oddments are organized.  She would have tackled the refrigerator and my clothes closet if we had had the time.

We also rearranged furniture, swapped out rugs and hung the rest of my artwork.  It's surprising how exhausted you can get from supervising.

A rather poor view of our work.
There was a great deal of hullabaloo about the approaching Snowmageddon on Saturday, so extra firewood was stacked inside, water containers filled, critters battened down and...we got three inches of snow.  We did get an additional three inches over Sunday, but it was a far cry from all the dire predictions.  I am not complaining.  And the food!  Saturday was broiled salmon with a light glaze and cilantro sauce, coconut rice and green beans with tamari and almonds.  Sunday was baked, stuffed acorn squash with a chopped salad.  Monday was fresh gluten free fettuccini (from Aldi's) with a mushroom stroganoff-like sauce.  Egads.

I was loathe to put her on the bus today, headed back to the City, but she has bigger fish to fry.  She has been part of a band since 1979 and they are still at it.  Next month is their 40th anniversary!  Who need the Stones!

My sister is on the far right, top and far left, bottom.
Original members, with the exception of the bass player.
In other news...

I picked up my car from the body shop and it is better than new.  Other than the fact that  I discovered a nail in a rear tire that had been picked up from the shop floor.  When I mentioned it to them, they demanded to know how I could be sure it was from their shop.  I pointed out that the nail was a very particular kind of nail that is used in older brake drums.  Pfft.  (That bit of information was given to me by my old garage mechanic, who fixed the tire.)  Honestly, I wasn't about to sue them.  I just wanted them to be aware that they should keep a sharper eye on the state of their floor.

I am getting one or two eggs a day from my chickens, thanks to judicious use of their coop light.  It has been so cold at night that I have to leave the light on.  While an egg a day does nothing to alleviate the spike in my electric bill, they are worth the cost.  I just can't face store-bought eggs.

I finished my final pair of fingerless mitts for the year.  (Remind me I said that.)  I am now onto more interesting things, having found at least six unfinished projects - just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure.  February is fast-approaching, so I have lined up my grid paper and garden notebook.  I am looking forward to planning this year's garden, but I am also wondering where all the 'bonus' time is/was/will be that I always expect every winter.

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I can see why you enjoy your sister's visits! She sounds pretty awesome!

Nancy In Boise said...

Wow busy busy. Nice to have family like that. My only sister/sibling died when I 13. Sad. Anyway glad you didn't get buried in snow!

Ed said...

We didn't get as much snow or ice out of that system either. I guess it was a poor performer. Fortunately!

Bettina Groh said...

Love to have a guest like your sister...

jaz@octoberfarm said...

well, look at you with a badass sister! how totally cool. and she cooks and cleans. i'll trade you for mine!

ellen abbott said...

lucky you...an awesome sister, eggs in winter, and no monster snow.

Michelle said...

The juicy little tidbits you drop about you/yours. That's a pretty fierce-looking band!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Wow, your sister is all that and a bag of chips! Glad you had a good time together! We had a snowy weekend, not big scary snow, but big enough. For our chickens, we have something called the cozy coop heater which looks like a small flat screen tv. Hubby picked it up on sale at the local TSC (Tractor supply company?) It doesn't put out a lot of heat, but enough to keep things from being way below freezing. I also have a heated water bucket (also bought on sale) which keeps their water from freezing. Winter with chickens - fun. Have a good week! -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

Anyone ever told you you have a very interesting family? (Including you, my friend.) And I mean that in the most complimentary way! It's so great that you and your two sisters keep up such a good relationship.

Glad you didn't get buried under another avalanche of snowfall. We've finally cleared away the last of the latest that hit us. Now it really looks like winter out there. Unfortunately, our mailbox out on the road was a casualty of the county snowplow. Hey, these things happen.

Yay, for your increased egg production. Our birds are finally starting to give us enough eggs now, too.

Retired Knitter said...

Wow, you have a great sister!!

And supervising is exhausting! And hysterically funny!!

The storm that passed was supposed to drop a few inches on us - it was all rain. Not complaining but I do love a good snow storm.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good for the two of you; that's a lot accomplished. I'm flat out impressed by that band, too. Keith Richards, take note.

Goatldi said...

My sister says I got all the domestic genetics. It does even out as when I find a needed item for a great price she orders it shipped to me on her Amazon Prime and I send her a check for item. In return she gets eggs, hand made goat milk soap and cheese.

Win win if you ask me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kudos to your awesome sister. We put the coop light on too, but no eggs lately. Urgh. Hubby wants to get rid of the chickens. Sigh....