Pages

Monday, March 30, 2020

Lots of musing going on.

Firstly, I want to thank those of you who reached out to see if I was still alive and well.  Yes and yes.  My silence was due to the fact that I am slow to adjust to being turned on my head.  I've gone through all the stages - I'm sure you can relate - denial, worry, wine, worry, potato chips, worry, ice cream, worry, chocolate, worry and now I am settled on pretty much adjusted.  As long as no one starts hoarding coffee, I should be okay.


As is required in my state, I have not been out, with the exception of one bout of grocery shopping for the month ahead, to deliver eggs to a friend (those of us with chickens are becoming very popular - too bad I didn't know this in high school), and a quick stop to check on my sister and mother - blowing kisses at them from across the room.  I did bake a birthday pineapple upside down cake for my neighbor who turned 85.  Since his family couldn't be there, I spent a couple of hours with him, at a distance of six feet.


I am lucky to be able to work from home, so my paycheck will continue.  That is good news, as my favorite local restaurant is allowed to offer margaritas to go.  I worry about the local small businesses and how they are faring through these unprecedented times.  It underlines - for me - the importance of giving them my business.


So far, the novelty of having me around 24/7 has not worn off for the dogs.  More's the pity.  They shadow me constantly.  I'd go outside more often, but it's been raining almost every day.  We're all getting a bit stir crazy.


When I did go out, I discovered that the front yard had been invaded by a population of gophers over the winter.  That, or the entire population of voles and moles on the Eastern coast.  It's unbelievable!


There has been cooking.
Cheesy Cuban Chicken
And baking

Paleo blueberry muffins
And finishing things I had started (oh, say, five years ago....)
Not quite finished, as it has a long way to go.  Years ago, I had made three of these little doll houses - which includes furniture and a mouse/bear/bunny family - and sold them in a consignment shop.  Unfortunately, they were a huge hit and I realized that I could not possibly keep up with demand.  Now I am doing it just for fun.  I'll take pictures as I go along.


So.  I will post more regularly and with more pics as my NEW PHONE has a better camera.  Yes, as these things often go, my phone started to die two weeks into this isolation.  Since no stores are open, I had to get a new one via virtual chatting.  Geez. 


I hope you are all safe and well and not going bonkers.  As someone very wise once said, this is a great time to finish things you've started.  So far, I've finished a bottle of pinot noir and I'm eyeing a bottle of sauvignon blanc.  Heehee.





19 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Pineapple upside down cake... hmmmm. It's good to hear from you! Invasion of the Mole People? Those little houses are adorable. Can understand why they sold well! -Jenn

Florida Farm Girl said...

Glad to hear you are "coping" well. I may have to look in that wine box to see what bottles are left in there. I'm not driving, so what the heck?

Ed said...

I am nursing my phone along right now. I have to charge it about two times a day just to make it through a day but when I am home isolating anyway, it hasn't been that big of a deal.

Good to hear things are going well in your neck of the woods when on our nightly news, it sounds very horrible indeed, as least in the city. But out here, there isn't much distinction being made between the city and the state.

Ken said...

You don't have all the moles. Or, maybe mine just spend the winter at your place? Either way, nasty critters. You can keep em.

Also, the baking is lovely. :)

Mama Pea said...

Yay for this post! So good to know you are very much alive and well. Oh, those dogs of yours and kitty cat have got to be so happy. Also very confused as to why you're hanging around all day. ;o)

Steve Reed said...

That's so true -- this is a great time to catch up on things we've all been meaning to do!

tpals said...

My cats are very clingy too. I expected them to ease up on the lap-landing, but no sign of it yet.

Susan said...

I'm glad you have been able to see your Mom and sister. Actually seeing people feels much more reassuring than electronic communication. Added benefit of furry creatures is you can talk to them instead of yourself. Just let us know if they answer in humanspeak.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

glad you are hanging in there! my house has never been so clean and organized! and i figured out how to order wine online!

Theresa Y said...

Glad you're ok. Good to see everyone is well....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I may actually finish the cross-stitch tea towel that I abandoned 25 years ago. I always said I'd finish it some day!

Michelle said...

I stopped by a dear friend's today to give her a couple things, and wanted so bad to HUG her. :-( But it WAS good to see and talk in person. It has started raining here which is making me (and Poppy) a bit stir-crazy, too; I didn't realize how much more I was getting out before. Give us a couple months, and Poppy will probably be ready to come exterminate the varmints!

Joanne Noragon said...

Looking forward to seeing the little house finished. Slowly, though.

Leigh said...

It's interesting to read about the adjustments folks are having to make. My life is same-'ol-same-'ol since we rarely go out anyway.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I was literally getting ready to shoot you an email to check in on you, but saw your post. Good to hear from you.

Sam I Am...... said...

You are too funny! I have a jug of red wine but I find as I age it gives me heartburn....which I've never had before ever. So, let that be a lesson....drink all you can now! LOL! Your little dollhouse is so cute. At one time I wanted to take tree stumps and make little animal houses out of them but Fisher-Price must have overheard me and they came out with plastic ones...oh well.
Glad you can work from home and so nice what you did for your neighbor. My birthday is on January 4th...just sayin'....I wanted to give you a heads up. I just finished my first 'binge-watching' of A Place to Call Home on the Acorn channel which you can get free for the first month. It was a wonderful drama that I got hooked on....not for kids but excellent. I highly recommend and I am not a big t.v. watcher. I also highly recommend the Miss Marple Scarf on Ravelry...a very enjoyable knit. Stay well, stay safe and keep your great sense of humor! Hugs ~ Sam

ellen abbott said...

I'd do more desert cooking but the husband is already at least 30 pounds overweight. we're staying in, not going anywhere but then this little town is so dead that there is no where to go or things to do even in normal times. good thing I'm an introvert and antisocial so it's just normal life around here.

Nancy In Boise said...

Good to hear you're okay! Me too, just did a new post about this kind of thing too. Off to make soup, rainy and cold here too....

Goatldi said...

SOP
I keep appointments as needed. I stay home as much as usual to someone who is chief cook and bottle washer to livestock. I have had multiple family and friends up for day trips or weekends. And yes I do not hesitate to hug them.

So life is pretty much as usual. I know no one who is ill and to date neither do any of my friends and family. And no we don’t all live in the same county.

Hang in this too shall pass. But hopeful the lessons learned will not be forgotten.