Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Why Alexa and I will never be on speaking terms.

Apparently, all those enunciation exercises I was forced to go through in Charm School (yes, I was actually sent to Charm School by my desperate mother), have atrophied.  While I think I speak clearly and succinctly,  I am often misunderstood.  However, I can get in and out of the car more gracefully than anyone I know.

This morning, being in a rather self-indulgent mood, brought on by my annual attempt to banish sugar and dairy from my diet, I ordered a large latte, with no sugar, almond milk, and a senior discount (ahem) from Dunkin Donuts on my way to work.  This was also as a reward for getting out of the house earlier than the new time (WHY!?!?!?) has allowed since Sunday.

What I got, when I sat at my desk and took my first sip, was a large latte with almond milk and four tablespoons of sugar.  I managed not to spit it across the room, but the good feeling was gone.  Good grief.

There have been a lot of entertaining texts generated by my lack of clear speech.  Especially when I dictate while driving and without reading glasses.  "Hi, Rosie.  Your pig will be congo with federal express."  "Hay, Marianne.  I will be aardvarked on the bags."

While sitting with my mother, we often try to get Alexa to read a book she's been listening to.  Without my sister there to interpret, we often end up pleading with her, to no good results.  The last time, instead of a book by Sue Grafton, we got homicide statistics for some unknown city.

Good lard.

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh no! You're a mumble mouth!

Goatldi said...

I feel your pain. My cousin‘s oldest son once said you need to find what dialect you are Using. Now he did much better using a slight Chinese influence to his voice mingled with someone now living in New Orleans. No more typos or speakos as I call them.

I almost lost my coffee on Rosie’s message and I laughed very hard all of this because my sister and I exchange comments often .
she is a perfectionist I am a drive down the road no reading glasses on hit that microphone girl. After all I don’t want to get a ticket for texting.

My Dear daughter however just smiles and laughs at me and says mom I know how to break your code whenever I apologize to her for the mess.

My sister got an Alexa she said it scared her so much she put it in the junk drawer in the kitchen and it still sits there two years later. She thought it was just gonna come right out of that box and materialize in her kitchen. I will be sharing your post with my sister this morning I hope she will enjoy it because I sure have made my day girl.

Michelle said...

My voice texting successes are hit and miss. Since Siri always reads them back to me to make sure she heard the right thing, I can try, try again. Sometimes I just give up.

Susan said...

Mothers must grow blinkers the minute their child is born. I was forced into nursing, me, who could be relied on to vomit if she saw someone else throwing up. Still do. Don't ask my kids how traumatic it has been for them, they hardly dare burp.

ellen abbott said...

I won't have one of those devices in the house. One, I'm not that lazy that I can't look up whatever or read or turn on or off lights or do my own internet shopping or play whatever music. two (and the real reason) they listen to you and report back!

Ed said...

I'm assuming you have used the app to configure Alexa to your voice? Once you have done that, it works much much better.

Retired Knitter said...

hahaha!! Lady, you are too funny!!

Joanne Noragon said...

I use the microphone for text messages often (fat fingers). Sometimes I've cracked myself up over what it has typed, and only noticed later it kept on typing as I howled and stumbled over what was on the screen.

Leigh said...

I always thought Dunkin Donuts overdid their coffee additives. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing!

Nancy In Boise said...

Sad that your drink was so chock-full of sugar! I tried almond milk for the first time several years ago and about gagged on the sugar. Luckily I realized there was unsweetened almond milk! I don't/won't have Siri, but do use voice text, and can dictate my blog with it, one bonus!!! That's enough for me with all the data mining out there.

Sam I Am...... said...

Too funny! I feel the same way and have discovered that Alexa is as dumb as a rock (with all due respect to the rocks).