Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Mixing it up into a hot mess.

Happy (let me check today's BGPs...) Wednesday!  I spent a good five minutes lying in bed this morning, trying to figure out what day it was.  I actually thought it might still be March because it was spitting snow and 27 degrees.  I've been doing what I can to keep the little grey cells from jumping ship.  Thanks to this freakishly rotten weather, most of my activities are indoors.
There has been cooking for dogs.
Nothing like the permeating effects of
baked liver.



There has been planting - poblanos, zucchini (3 kinds), kale (3 kinds), lavender, cukes (2 kinds), Swiss chard (2 kinds), bunching onions (3 kind).  I hope to add flowers and herbs to the list this week, if I have time.... snort.  If the weather cooperates, I will prep and plant spinach, arugula and salad mix in the cold frame. 


The work on the road continues and I'm taking it way too personally.
Peanut is the family snoopervisor
of all things outside and inside.

There's been a slowing down of staff conference calls - not surprising, as it was announced that we'd all have to take a cut in our salary so that the mothership can stay afloat.  You could almost hear the unhappiness crackling over the lines.  It was just a tad too ironic to have it announced just before Administrative Assistant Day/Week.  It's not easy to try to reconcile the notion that you're appreciated, while they have their hand in your pocket.  I feel for my colleagues who are working from home - with all the stress that entails - while having to make sure their kids are still learning, may have a spouse unemployed, and now have to worry if they can pay their bills.  I am glad I still have a job.


I do find myself wondering - aloud and often - if it's happy hour someplace, starting after breakfast.  As a matter of fact, I am wondering aloud waaay too often.  I am, however, enjoying the 'kids'.  I think Slimmie is the happiest that I am here all the time.  He has taken to flinging his sizeable self onto my lap to help me with my typing at every opportunity.


I have more photos (!!!) but they are not appearing in my feed, so they will have to entertain you in a future post.  A daily battle is waged with my over-used, under-powered, semi-ancient technology.  I have a laptop that has all the oomph of a pile of string, while my new phone is so sensitive that I'm afraid to look at it too long, as it may be able to read my mind.


I hope you all are hanging tight, as they say (and 'tight' has so many meanings...) and taking good care of yourself.









16 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear about the pay cut, that's a bummer.

Susan said...

Some call it saving the company others call it maintaining the income of executives and shareholders. I admire the New Zealand prime minister for taking a 20% pay cut to reflect the burden on the ordinary person at this time. Some people have integrity, some don't.
I had a swig of whisky for breakfast, it was left in a glass from the night before and I wasn't going to let it go to waste.

Steve Reed said...

27 degrees?! Ugh! And a pay cut to boot. I hope this situation gets resolved sooner rather than later (but safely, of course). As for technology, I understand. My laptop won't even run Zoom. I have to use Dave's whenever I have a conference call with co-workers!

Michelle said...

BOO-HISS on the pay cut, but I guess you can look at it as "retirement practice." Good thing I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read the part about your ancient laptop and new phone, or it would have gone all over MY laptop and phone. It is cool and wet here today (we desperately need rain, so YAY), and I have a Decker heater on my legs, covered by a polarfleece blanket; heaven.

Mama Pea said...

Ooof, a cut in pay. Darn. But, as you say, you still have a job and a portion of the salary coming in. Happy to say our fixed income (old, retired geezers that we are) has stayed the same so at least we know what we're dealing with. How did all the things you had already put in your garden fare with the snow covering? I've been out in the garden this morning (and plan to return in a short while) and finding the soil in the raised beds lovely. Even on the flat, tilling around the perimeter of the asparagus bed, it's fine. Now if our temp would just make it out of the 30s . . .

jaz@octoberfarm said...

we had 28 degrees here this morning. i, of course, am happy to have cold weather but it is also keeping people inside. i just know the moment it warms up, people will be everywhere. a pay cut is truly a bummer. but i get what you mean by at least still having a job.

Ed said...

You got off lucky. We ended up with nearly 10 inches of snow four days ago. Talk about a kick in the knees.

Joanne Noragon said...

We're having occasional snow. It ain't fair, I tell you.

tpals said...

Flashbacks to 2008 - all unpleasant.

I suspect everything in your garden will be happening at once. Good luck!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Our weather sounds like yours. My wood stove was still going until last night when we ran out of wood. Sorry about your pay cut. Stay safe.

AnnieK said...

It is going to hit 80 here in SoCal, and the beach police will be out and siting those folks daring to put their toesies on the sand, at 1000 dollars a pop, guess they can recoup some revenue somehow........

Goatldi said...

Pay cut to support the hierarchy ugh! As Michelle said practice for retirement but not quite. If one is fortunate one has a plan for retirement to compensate any loss of income . This one came out of the swamp. So 😐

Weather also something you have no control over. I would tell you it is to be 75 and spring has sprung. But that probably makes you want to smack me. Don’t be too quick last fire in my stove was two nights ago.

Holler any time you know where to find me.

ellen abbott said...

I'd take some of that cooler weather since it's getting hot way to fast and I'm not done with the fence. getting close but... it would help if I got my lazy butt out there earlier but I just am not an early riser. I'm glad you still have a job too.

Nancy In Boise said...

So sorry to hear about your pay cut but at least you do have a job. I know that's always tough been there done that. I'm trying to keep track of what day it is to, I worked 1 and 3/4 days this week. I'm happy to be working from home since I do get paid when I'm not actually working but it's hard getting used to this. My husband is working full-time from home so he's working everyday. We're like two ships passing in the night in the hall on occasion waving hi closing the bedroom door and then going back to work. the weather here has been kind of crazy last 2 days with rain and cold and blustery weather. I did stock up on some veggies yesterday that are in our little mini Greenhouse in the bedroom! Too cold to plant right now but should be okay in 2 or 3 weeks. All the local nurseries have been selling out of products pretty quickly so I decided to buy early and have a good choice of what to buy. Our cold frame is doing well. little doggie there is so cute sitting on the couch propped up looking out the window! What a cutie pie

Florida Farm Girl said...

I don't think there's a one of us who hasn't wondered about what day it is. Happens to me frequently. Thank goodness my phone will tell me. Hope you get some spring weather soon.

Sam I Am...... said...

Glad you still have a job but really sorry about the pay cut. You are doing really good at planting. I am behind in everything per usual. Your Peanuts reminds me of my little Annie who passed last summer along with my Rottweiller. Boy, I miss them still but I do smile when I see another. Your Peanuts is so cute. I remember seeing a picture of a serious dachshund stating "I'm so glad you're home! Someone pooped in the hallway!". I still laugh when I think of it.....the rott, Nitty and Annie were so funny together. Dachshunds take themselves very seriously and they expect you to also. But they are so funny.
I can't believe you have such cold and snowy weather at the end of April! I need to live there! I have already mowed twice! I have yardwork 3/4 of the year and it gets really hot!
I am retired so now everyone else is living like I have for the past 15 years! LOL! But I do have a paycheck. Take care and I hope Spring shows up soon for you!