Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

What day is it and does it really matter?

My days have become divided into two categories:  rainy days and unrainy days.  Since I am pretty much in total lockdown, things have become pretty basic.  The highlight of yesterday was the pruning of my hybrid willow bushes by the virile Lew (sorry Steve - no pictures...).  He did a wonderful job and didn't mind my constant stream of questions - from a safe distance.  I now have a pile of willow branches that I will get into a bucket of water to root.  I am going to, once again, try to grow a barrier between me and the dusty, truck-ridden road.


I have a new set of workmates:


(L-R) Hedgie, Foxy, Bunny, Otter-y, Mousie
Nothing like a quick project to get one through the day.  Even the dogs are tired of my constant presence:
"Are you still here?  If you're not going to
hand out treats, go back to work."
Easter was weird.
Well, not that weird, but it was different.  I am trying to treat this hiatus as a retirement rehearsal - which is probably a good thing, as I am pretty sure they will close the office at the end of the current lease.  I baked some chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, using some powdered peanut butter I discovered in the pantry - a purely impulse buy - and gave them to my neighbor, my sister and the UPS guy.  Today I get the fuel oil tank topped off - at under $2 a gallon, I can't miss the opportunity.  I'm sure it will be a lot more this winter, during the new reality.  Next Friday, the septic guy comes.  I hope I can contain myself....


Meanwhile, it is too cold to garden for long, so I just look longingly out the windows.  I have made little forays into the flower beds, raking and cleaning out.  I am itching to plant my poppy seeds, but have to be sure the last frost has gone past.  I may start knitting exotic animals and little people friends.  Who knows.  I'm down to "X" by Sue Grafton on my audio book list, with one more to go.  She was so close to "Z", it doesn't seem fair that she passed away before she wrote it.  Bless her heart.  I listen/watch Billy Collins read poetry everyday, which is very enjoyable and I highly recommend it (on FB).  At least there is a little stirring of the grey cells.  My sister was here for a couple of days - her husband's family invaded their house (apparently, the pandemic does not apply to them) so we entertained ourselves with take-out from the Mexican restaurant, margaritas and a very strange rendition of Wagner's Ring Trilogy.  If nothing else, we laughed our heads off.  Good medicine for whatever ails you!


This Saturday is my pick-up at the organic farm store and a quick foray into the grocery store, then home again, home again, fast as I can.  I hope you are all safe and sane.  I have tons of catch-up reading on my blog list and am looking forward to hearing how you all are faring.  xo




18 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

What? Are you serious - Sue Grafton died?? I've been waiting for Z and check every time I go to the library (WENT to the library). -Jenn

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Wow, I just checked, and you are, of course, absolutely right. Well dang!

Susan said...

Jenn, I had no idea myself - I was waiting Z and told my sister, who, apparently, is more informed than I. It's a wonder I'm still talking to her. I can't believe she's gone. Now I'll have to make up my own ending.

ellen abbott said...

yep. life has gotten pretty basic. you haven't even tossed your poppy seeds out yet and mine have already just about quit blooming. I didn't get as big a return this year as in previous years.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, at least your little grey cells are sheltering in place with you. Mine are off quarantining somewhere else entirely and may never come home again.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i'm either totally brain dead or more traumatized than i realize because this isn't bothering me much. it has it's pluses too! i don't need to coordinate food deliveries to people like i usually have to. they are all home waiting patiently for me to pop by and leave something on their porches.

Ed said...

Thank god for smart phone calendars or I wouldn't even know what month it is right now! I'm so itching for spring and thought it was here but right now it is 25 degrees with two inches of snow on the ground. I'm just about ready to stand on my porch and scream up at the sky, "It that all you got? What are you going to throw at me next?"

Florida Farm Girl said...

We're hanging out here on the hill. I'm reading, sewing and puttering in the yard a little. DH is reading, puttering and getting into all kinds of mischief tinkering with financials, sorting papers, cleaning his closet, etc. Sure wish he had his days out to keep him busy. Even in normal times I sometimes mix up the days. Now I have to look at the computer or my phone to know what day it is.

Nancy In Boise said...

LOL! Ah septic tank pumping, I remember the good old days! NOT! We're on city sewer now, much easier. We're both now working from home, for me, when there is work. I worked about 3 hours all of last week. I've worked 2 days this week and have today off. I find out the afternoon before if I'll be working. Our large medical corp is #'s driven. I'm getting paid though, benefits too, when I'm home, so it's like a rehearsal retirement for me. Hubby is very busy, working with sales for industrial drives, keeping huge motors working. We're all healthy so far, kinds and grand kids. Sadly, unrelated to Covid, my husband's brother is going into hospice today. He's been ill along time, but recently went into the ICU, unresponsive. Not much time left, but he's going home today, to be with his adoring wife. His 2 kids are flying in from back east to be there. I'm so glad we flew in and saw them for Christmas. Sad, but he's held on a long time. No funeral as their church is closed, will do that when things "normalize". Hanging out doing chores, kitty loves us at home, getting re-acquainted with using a DSLR camera again, harvesting eggs, planting veggies in and outside. Spring is here!

Michelle said...

Where is all this extra time people have??? With a puppy to supervise and sheep to shear on top of all the 'usual' which hasn't abated, I feel swamped. And now I need to shower and go to the dentist to see about a toothache. I don't suppose I can wear a face mask....

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, that is a bummer about Grafton dying before getting to the end of the alphabet. It DOES seem unfair.

Re. the virile Lew, WHY NO PICTURES?!?!

I love your "workmates," and that Easter rabbit photo is laugh-out-loud funny. (It's half a single image flipped down the middle, I think, and photoshopped together? Which is pretty brilliant in itself.)

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Looks like your being very productive. That's a good thing! Like your knitted animals. Your dog looks a little bored. He's so darn cute. My garden looks a little dismal. It's been kind of cold here! When it does warm up it will probably come in hot. You stay safe from this horrible virus! XO

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We are still in lockdown until May 1st, but I have a bad feeling they will extend it and no one has gotten their unemployment and won't until mid May now. Hubby and I cleaned some of the garage cleaned. Like you it's either a rainy/snow day or non-rainy job on the list. I plan to do another food/wine drop at Mom's to perk her up this week. My only laziness is not exercising. I need to be more motivated in that dept.

tpals said...

We are buried under snow again. The winter that keeps giving. Love your yarn buddies - so cute.

Joanne Noragon said...

Actually the day no longer matters, except trash day. If I didn't have an electronic calendar, I would lose myself.

Retired Knitter said...

The days just blend together. One just like the other. Yesterday I finally found the energy to steam clean our carpets (of course out cat broke box training so that helped incentivize me.). Today - BIG BIG news. I washed the kitchen floor. I hear that is a 'thing.' *sigh*. What I really want is my old life back.

Casa Mariposa said...

I find it easy to stay busy. I'm a teacher so I have virtual lessons to teach and I exercise a lot. I turned my home office into a work out studio and I also walk a lot on the walking path near my home. I'm spending lots of leisurely time in the garden, which is wonderful. It's so nice not to be rushed. I read and watch a little TV and I go out when need be.

Helen said...

$#!) is real when we are looking forward to the septic man's visit. At least it is not snowing...oh wait the upper tier is expecting snow. Sorry guys.