Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My problem...

...is selective memory.  One of them (problems), that is.  I can forget to remove my car keys from the ignition before I lock my car.  I can forget why I went into the laundry room.  Or the kitchen.  Or the living room.  But I can remember every excrutiating morsel of the last real piece of bread I ate - the dense, chewy crust surrounding a moist, yeasty crumb.  It's a curse, I tell you.  Especially when one is gluten-sensitive-intolerant.  I would LOVE to forget bread.  It would then be easy to pretend that I am on Mars and that THIS is bread:

It has risen!

It has fallen!
Faced with all my tomatoes, I just HAD to have a bread-like substance on which to slather a bit of mayo and a nice thick slice of tomato.  I did some research on gluten-free focaccia and came up with an "Awesome" recipe.  That should have set off the warning bells - Gluten-Free/Awesome?  Oxymoron at best.  I forged ahead and it smelled divine, it rose wonderfully and browned just so.  Even when it collapsed, it was still focaccia-like.  Then I cut into it and...well.  Let's say this could be the national food of Sponge Bob Square Pants' world.  But I slathered on the mayo and set a nice thick slice of tomato on top and called it dinner.

12 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, how sad-it must be awful to be unable to eat bread.
I wasn't gluten intolerant, but I did have a bad time of it eating bread. I've recently switched to all organic flours and ingredients,and don't have the problems anymore. I used to wake up in the middle of the night feeling like someone was twisting up my insides. Makes me wonder what the HE$$ is up with the regular stuff.
Hope you find that gluten free recipe that works for you. It's out there......somewhere...

Susan said...

Good morning, Sue! I wonder if I could do the same? When you think about what they spray on the fields, that the grains are GMO, it's no wonder that there are so many health problems out there - we have so many auto-immune disorders around here, it would curl your socks.

Carolyn said...

Just "Problem" and not "ProblemS"?
Oh Susan, I do so feel for you. I think I'd be suicidal if I had to give up bread. Although, I probably wouldn't be 30 pounds overweight either.
Too bad the bread tasted horrid, it sure did look good :(

Kim said...

Oh no! I feel your pain. I've yet to find a gf bread that will make my memories foggy and my toes curl, when I do, you'll be the first to know! Unless you find it first. Then...

PLEASE SEND IT MY WAY ~ BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!! (My family is learning to eat their delicious bread outside. Or in the closets. It's just safer that way.) ;)

Susan said...

CR, I won't even go into the multiple problems - there isn't enough internet to cover that/them. I keep hoping - I just have to lower my expectations. To my toes. Good bread is worth 30 lbs, in my humble opinion...

Susan said...

Kim, thanks to you I have a cornbread recipe that I can eat - and biscuits, too. As you know, though, they don't last so I either have to cook for a crowd or eat myself silly. You will be first on my list, should the impossible happen...

Candy C. said...

Weeell, it LOOKS good!
I have heard others mention the organic factor before too. I'm just not sure if the potential pain and suffering would be worth giving it a try...

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Oh the horror!

Mama Pea said...

I LOVE toast and sandwiches. Give me a good sandwich any day rather than a piece of cake! But I went 2-1/2 years without bread (or any grain) so I know it can be done. It's just not fun, as you well know. Many people who are allergic to wheat (one of our most messed with/fouled up grains) can tolerate spelt. Have you tried that? It's almost interchangeable with wheat in any recipe. During my restricted diet period, I found an organic rice bread that made good toast. Not sandwiches though. Sometimes when we get our systems good and cleaned out (this may take a year or more) we can tolerate that which made us sick before. You are very brave. Your health is worth more than a slice of bread. With mayo and a slice of tomato. Really.

Leigh said...

Aw. How sad. I would have done the same as you though. :)

LindaCO said...

I hope you can find a bread that works for you and doesn't upset your system. I've wondered recently about whether (I'm sure someone's on this) a person's immune system can be retrained. The bread in the picture LOOKS pretty tasty *sigh*, too bad.

Erin said...

Well it still looks pretty! Hope you find a good recipe, I can't imagine giving up bread.