Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

You can put this stuff on EVERYTHING!


The lowly nut of the pea.

Well, maybe not on herring or sardines.  I suppose, if you have a cast iron stomach and a penchant for some serious food fusion, you could.  But this is my new favorite sauce that I have put on tofu, rice, noodles, chicken, pork, and green beans.  And I have just started - nothing is safe.  The sauce recipe originated from the Vegan Coach.  While I am a little leery of a vegan queen called Sassy with a newsletter entitled the "Golden Banana", she does have some great sauce, dip and dressing recipes that are gluten free. 

Anyhoo, I have tweaked this recipe often, as every time I get the burning urge to make it, I am missing an ingredient or two.  It is very forgiving.  And delicious:

Rich Vegan Peanut Sauce

1/4 Cup Tamari (smoother taste) or Bragg's Liquid Aminos (saltier)
1/8 Cup brown rice vinegar (I usually use regular rice vinegar and it's fine)
1/3 Cup water
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (have used agave nectar as well)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1- inch piece fresh ginger (or ground, to taste)
2/3 Cup chunky peanut butter (I use creamy, 'cause that's what I have)
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil (I usually use more because I LOVE it)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (forgot it this time and the sauce survived)
1-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (or red pepper flakes) or to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.  You can adjust the thick/thin-ness of it by either adding more peanut butter or more water.  Serve immediately or chill.  Let the sauce come to room temperature before serving.  I have kept this in the fridge for weeks.

9 comments:

MaineCelt said...

I think I'll put it on beef and chicken. Heh heh. On another note, have you ever read about the felow who invented peanut butter, George Washington Carver? He was an extraordinary plantsman/chemist/inventor/mystic and one of my personal heroes.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Sounds fantastic!

Michelle said...

I have a recipe for peanut sauce that I love as well. Unfortunately, neither of my guys can stand it. Yes, I do make it for myself once in awhile....

And I second the admiration of George Washington Carver!

Unknown said...

Sounds good, thanks!

Susan said...

Of couse! He is one of my heroes as well - an exceptional person - curious, smart, dedicated, way ahead of his time.

Susan said...

At this very moment, I am having it on cold rice noodles with sweet onion and sauted green beans. MmmmM.

Susan said...

Poor boys, they don't know what they're missing... I like this recipe because it lasts a long time in the fridge.

Susan said...

If you like Asian type sauces, this is really good and so simple to make.

Candy C. said...

I LOVE peanut sauce, hubby...not so much. ;-) Over cold rice noodles sounds perfect!