Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Zap! Crackle! Fizz....

After the monsoon Friday night, the weekend morphed into a rather nice one.  Saturday was spent in VT - work done on the car, visit with my parents, sister and BIL, weeding, watering and cleaning up in the greenhouse, then home.  I had hoped to get some things done in the garden, but I had a friend coming over for dinner, so those hopes were jettisoned out the door. 

That led to a very busy day on Sunday.  Besides the usual Sunday activities (dog walking, barn/cow visiting, baking), my neighbor showed up to mow my grass and zap my weeds.  What a difference!  However, I realized that, as time double-times along, I will soon be mowing my own grass and zapping my own weeds - my neighbor is closing in on 80 and has slowed down noticeably this year.  Even though he insists on helping me, I can read the writing on the wall.  I am researching cordless weed trimmers - I really can't take all that noise, especially on top of my neighbor's endless chainsawing and his grandson's little, very annoying motor scooter.  That he drives up and down and up and down and up and down their driveway.  It seems they save their hearing-challenging activities for Sunday. 

Laundry got washed and hung on the line.  It was a perfect laundry day - not too hot but sunny and breezy.  Three loads were washed and dried in no time.  Then there was weeding, shoveling, hauling, weeding, shoveling, hauling, raking, etc.  I got all but one of the raised beds ready for planting.  I had already planted three kinds of beets, three kinds of kale, collard greens (new this year), mustard greens (ditto) and chard.  The garlic is growing well, the onions are coming along, and I think I am finally seeing the evergreen bunching onions coming up (new).  I have about three wheelbarrow-fuls of dirt from the pile that has been 'aging' on my driveway for two years.  Once that's gone, I can call in my shifty neighbor with the gravel business who offered to deliver free stone 'just because he's a good neighbor'.  I'll believe that when I see it in my driveway.

All that's needed in the garden is to finish topping off one bed and to plant everything.  Each early spring, I tell myself it's time to cut back, as I am only planting for one person.  Every late spring, I have run out of room.  It looks as if I will have to get inventive when it comes to my summer squash.  But all of this is moot.  Nothing else is getting planted because we had two morning of frost.  Which zapped my strawberry flowers.  Looks like the harvest will be delayed.  I did remember to swaddle my lemon tree - which is fruiting up very nicely...

Inside, things are fermenting -- a batch of kombucha and milk kefir, to be exact.  I am slowly bringing my kefir back to life and this is my first time with kombucha.  I have been smart enough this time to put the jars way separate - no co-mingling of those little bacteria - and, at the same time, somewhere where I won't forget them (who, me?)  Fun!  I was looking forward to adding fresh strawberries into my daily kefir, but will have to - sigh - settle for my frozen blueberries.  Poor me.

12 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

tell me about it! i was only going to plant in my new trough garden but then i found a new garden center and my husband had 'plantitis' during the winter without telling me and he order lots of plants. i had enough to entirely plant my lower garden which i pretty much had given up on. it is now packed. what i will do with all of this when it comes in, i don't know. i guess the shelter will get lots of veggie dishes!

Carolyn said...

Oh, how I love the smell of laundry dried on the line (speaking of which, I believe the laundry basket is overflowing right now, guess I should get to it).

Frost still, hugh? Winter really likes to hang around up there, doesn't it?

Susan said...

jaz - I blame it on the winter. We are so desperate for green things and fresh food that we go crazy! (With or without help...)

Susan said...

Carolyn - I bet you are so jealous at how much more winter loves us than you...or not...

Sue said...

It sounds like you go to work to RELAX. Good grief-you fill every minute of the day.
I wish I were are "on top of things" as you are. I'm muddling along, but falling further behind as the weeks go by.......

DFW said...

Susan, You make me tired just reading this. Can't wait to hear how the kombucha turns out. All that sliminess at the bottom always scares me.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Man I feel so lazy after reading this:):) Good job. Hug B

Unknown said...

I loved the Ryobi weed eater I bought after my hubs died so much that when I bought my own little farm last year, I bought all the tools I needed that he didn't alreay have in Ryobi (18 volt) so all the batteries are interchangeable. I've since added just about everything else! And a solar charging panel that can recharge those batteries for me. Now, if a storm takes down the power, I can still make temp repairs! Well, at least as much this 60 yr old body will allow me to. ;)

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Doing your laundry and hanging it out on the line is so gratifying. I love the fresh smell of the outside on our clothing and sheets.

It's hard to cut back a garden when your used to doing it and at the same time having fun playing in the dirt.

How's your new dog coming along?

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I would love a cordless weedeater - the one I have is electric and so I rarely use it!

Susan said...

Once you find an effective way to deal with the dear little noise maker let me know. I'm not sure I can last another summer listening to our neighbour's kid mindlessly roaring up and down.

Fiona said...

Lots of loose Gravel may slow the scooter down........:}.
Ralph was left unattended at Southern States on Friday while I was in the Ladies room! How many herbs, sweet potato slips and other assorted plants can one man buy and load in a small car in about 5 minutes? A LOT! However he did find a real surprise...Orange Mint...a fabulous smelling herb that I am now putting in my fresh fruit salads and in Tea! Your "High Activity" always encourages me to do more. Thank you!