Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Close One

Tuesday night I came home to find Slim(bo) collapsed on the floor of the cat room, panting like a dog.  After frantically searching for the source of his apparent lack of ability to stand, walk or otherwise move his hind end, I put a call into the vet on call.  Unfortunately, it was not "my" vet but one of his cohorts.

Bringing him in was out of the question, as he was in a great deal of distress and if his back was injured, I wasn't about to make it worse.  She did not offer to come to me (heaven forbid) and gave me the number of another vet who did house calls (!!!!!). When I reached her, she was sympathetic but in Tennessee.  More frantic calls to my vet.  Her assessment was paralysis caused by a blood clot and heart trouble.  Slimbo is 5 y/o.  A very poor prognosis.  She gave me yet another number for another vet who provides euthanasia at home.  I call, nearly pass out myself from the cost, tell him to come and gird my loins with a quick shot of JD.  

Slimbo and I wait, me stroking his soft head.  I realize he's stopped panting and is purring mightily.  He still can't walk and howls when I try to get him to stand.  The vet arrives and takes a look at him.  "This cat isn't paralyzed," he says.  He takes out his stethoscope and checks his heart.  Fit as a fiddle.  He looks at his eyes.  Bingo!  Vertigo.  Slimbo gets a pass, I put the vet in a bear hug and (almost) happily part with $110.

I now have to squirt a slurry of puréed cat food and water down his gullet, along with antibiotics twice a day.  Not to mention the tripling of my wash loads...  He seems to be feeling better, as he made it out of his makeshift bed, across the room and wedged himself behind the cat tree.

Either that or he heard me coming down the hall with his morning dose...

15 comments:

Suz said...

Oh dear, my heart was breaking for you. ......why don't more vets do house calls.
You are a good mama to yours. If you have PayPal I will send you 110$

Michelle said...

Glad he made it & is feeling better and hope you kept the vet's contact number! We have a great visiting vet out here, she comes out for the cats, it is much easier on me & less traumatic for them than having to travel.

DFW said...

So happy he pulled through. Sorry about the $110, though well worth it.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what could possibly be wrong?

Florida Farm Girl said...

Poor baby! Is the prognosis good for Slim?

Susan said...

Suz - You are so sweet! We will survive - I am just so glad the vet that did arrive was able to spot the problem.

Susan said...

Michelle - I think that would be a great specialty field - a mobile cat vet. No cat I know is fond of a drive in the car.

Susan said...

DFW - That was my thought, too. I was less happy with the charge by my vet's office when I brought him in the next morning. I will hold out for "my" vet from here on out.

Susan said...

Jaz - A bad case of vertigo. His poor eyes were darting back and forth, trying to find some balance. It must have been awful.

Susan said...

FFG - Yes - I watched him stagger into the litter box this morning (good boy!) He walks like he's on the deck of a ship in full storm. So far, he still isn't eating so I "help" him. Which he does not appreciate. But things are definitely looking up!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Oh boy!! Glad its only vertigo!!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear Slimbo is sick. I'm happy to hear this vet took his/her time to check your cat and find out it's not paralyzed and diagnosed Slimbo with vertigo. This vet is someone I would put on my speed dial if I have other issues with animals.

CountryCityCindy said...

We love our furbabies!

Cindy
www.countrycitycindy.blogspot.com

Hexe said...

Wow, I didn't know a cat could have vertigo!! I had it a year ago for two weeks and a year later still get "spells". I am totally sympathetic to anyone, critter or person, who has it! Vertigo is terrible! I hope he's doing better.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Oh dear... Glad he's getting better!