Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Feathering ones nest takes on a whole new meaning...




As I was putzing around on Sunday, waiting for my neighbor to come and save me from myself (I had been wrestling with a giant tarp for hours, trying to get it on top of my shed and tacked down for the winter.  What was I thinking?) I decided to clean off the back deck.  This included winterizing my gas grill.

As I pulled the cover off and lifted the lid, two members of the vermin society leapt up and made me scream like a little girl.  They leapt up out of their larger-than-life, heavily feathered mouse condo.  Honestly, I have never seen that many feathers unless they were on the chicken.  It was super-deluxe!  There were little bits of greenery, moss and lichen.  I could just imagine those little, flea-ridden bodies settling in for the winter (can you tell I am not a fan of the vermin society?).  I went inside and got my hazmat suit on, grabbed a trowel and my giant trug.  OMG.  That trug was about 3/4 full of feathers!  The grill is now 3/4 full of moth balls.

9 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

you could have had grilled mice!

Fiona said...

I thought I heard a girly scream from the east! You need Buckeye Chickens. The young birds we have caught two mice the other day and spent hours chasing each other to see what the other ones had!

Sue said...

Ugh. I will never complain about a hornets nest in my grill again.
What a mess that must have been.
And I'm sorry---I laughed (just a teeny tiny bit) when I pictured your screeching. I hate surprises and have been known to shatter glass when a snake slithers over my foot.
Country living.............never a dull moment.

Susan said...

Ack! :-/

Susan said...

Fiona - I have one Buckeye - she's one of the new, little girls. However, she is not allowed on the deck...it's a chicken-free zone.

Susan said...

Sue - I am the same way with snakes, although it's not because I don't like them. I do, but they always 'surprise' me. Vermin are the worse. Although, hornets are pretty darn awful, too.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Spotted a mouse in our kitchen over the weekend - ran down into the basement. So I put out two traps - one in the kitchen and one in the basement. Caught two mice!! So the next day I put out four traps... and thank goodness haven't caught any more!!!

Susan said...

Jenyfer - Let's hope that two is all you have!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh my. We have mice here too. The barn cats do a good job, but there is always more mice.