Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

High on the Ick Scale


 
My friend, Cynthia (who, almost singlehandedly brought the Randall cattle breed back from the brink of extinction - you can read about her journey here) gave me four pounds of grass-fed beef liver.  Well.  When life gives you that much liver, you make liver treats!

Using a very loosely-goosey recipe, I slurried up the raw liver (hence the Ick) with some of my organic garlic and then mixed it with enough organic raw oats to keep it from oozing off the pan (SUPER ICKY).  After ladling onto two parchment lined pans (eeeeeeuuuw), I baked them at 250 for what seemed like hours, rotating pans, until they were dry-ish.  I cut them into small squares and put them back in the oven for another half hour or so, then turned off the oven and left them to crisp and cool.  Needless to say, windows were opened, damn the frigid temps.  What I won't do for my pups.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Good mommy! I thought maybe that was for your hens....

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I bet that smell would drive my cats batty, ha ha!

farm buddy said...

I raise grass-fed beef and feed it to my dogs all the time. I just take a pot, put a little water in it, add a lot of liver, and boil it for a little while, like fifteen minutes or so. Then at each mealtime, I just add some of this liver broth and a hunk of liver, which I just crumble with my hands. Easy peasy and no smell!! Dogs and cats LOVE it! Also works with hearts (which are quite tasty), tongue, and kidneys.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i keep reading that garlic is not good for dogs? next time make pet friendly pate! it freezes well and they love it and no smell!

Mama Pea said...

Oy! What you won't do for your pups! What a good doggie mama you are!

Michelle said...

We made liver treats for our dogs ONCE, years ago. "Ick" by NO means covers how gross the sight and smell was. Never again!

Susan said...

No, they get nothing special until I see eggs in the nesting boxes!

Susan said...

It was very crowded in the kitchen during the entire process, I can tell you.

Susan said...

That sounds more palatable! I would guess she has more 'parts' available, since most people around here who can afford grass-fed beef won't touch anything but the beef!

Susan said...

I read that, too, but I have also read that garlic is helpful in keeping hearts healthy and fleas and ticks at bay. I would imagine it is all in the quantity. I kept it at a minimum. Pate? I would eat it myself!

Susan said...

That's for sure - I would do anything for them.

Susan said...

It takes a stiff upper lip (and wide open windows) to make it through the process. It also helps that they love it, it's good for them, and the liver was free!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

I see you spoil your pups like we spoil ours!!!
Fresh liverwurst is delicious, that's the only type of liver that will enter our house, lol.....
unless of course were making doggie treats.

Linda said...

I love love love liver! Yes, for me--liver and onions with gravy. I told my kids it was steak.

Fiona said...

No mention of Liver and Onions with smashed potatoes for the human in this equation?