Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

365 Things


I've tried everything but hypnosis and I have yet to manage to stick with a plan to de-thing my life.  The little hoarder that lives inside me gives me nothing but lip service.  Well, hehe, I think I've got A Plan.  Shame!  That's what it will take!  I am going to put on (limited) public display the painful process of my de-thinging.  And you all get to witness it!  Doesn't that sound like fun?

(Insert the sound of crickets...)

Starting on January 1, 2016, I will be shedding a thing a day.  I think, trying to keep this in some sort of manageable shape, I will be putting them out there - seven things - every Monday.  I may also take full advantage of the material to muse on these things and the process of shedding them.  Be warned.  It may either be as boring as watching paint dry, or it may give you the heebie-jeebies (how much stuff DOES she have, for natssake!)  I expect you all to hold my feet to the fire and to needle me unmercifully if I show signs of slacking off.  I was going to start a page and have it all categorized, but I suffer from ADD, not OCD. 

I will use Facebook, Freecycle, Craigslist, Goodwill, and the curbside (which, for some reason, local folks use with reckless abandon - piling a bunch of junk by the road with a "free" sign on it.  And it sits and becomes a gelatinous pile of unrecognizable flotsam over the months that it is there.  There ought to be a law...), or, finally, the transfer station, my very last choice.

Truth be told, I have been working my way up to this.  In the month of December, I shed a nice little pile of things.  It didn't even make a dent. 

Along with the de-thinging, I am going to shed a few pounds and a few bad habits.  I like to think of the coming new year as the Year of Light(er) and Possibilities.  I have prepared my support systems so that I won't be inclined to backslide as easily as I usually do.  I am also trying not to cram every last bad thing into tonight as if it's the last fun day of my life.  I had to turn away from the potato chip aisle, the chocolate aisle, the adult beverage store.  That's not saying that I don't have enough adult beverages at home to tide me over to the new year.  I. Can. Do. It.

Any other Resolutioners out there?  Do tell.....

25 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Wow and kudos to you! This sounds very interesting. I'm really eager to see just what kind of things you're going to be getting rid of. (Hopefully, they won't be things that we, your faithful readers, just have to have and beg you to send our way. C.O.D., of course.) Or your de-thinging process may give me the (needed) nudge to do the same.

Not sure what bad habits you have to shed . . . that would be interesting, too, if you blogged about them as you shoved them "out the door."

All in all, you sound as if you're really organized and in good shape for the start of a new WONDERFUL year. You go, girl!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I do not typically make resolutions but I too am feeling an urge to purge... good thing that 50% of my house stuff will be gone soon enough - that will certainly put a dent in things in a hurry!

Sue said...

I always get the urge to organize (and purge) this time of year.
It's amazing what accumulates during the year. I like your idea of getting rid of a thing a day, but my mind wanders--and I'd lose track. I do mine in big spurts of energy, then ............nothing.
I'll be watching your purge with great interest. Best of luck!

Bobbie said...

You can do it! You can do it! I will be following and cheering you on. I just found your blog and am thoroughly enjoying it.
Happy New Year ~ May you be successful in ALL your endeavors.
Bobbie

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Oh, I doubt anyone would need my stuff. But, then again, one woman's trash.... I will be shedding bad habits publically. That's what shame is all about, right? :O

Susan said...

Jen - Well, that's one way of clearing out. Just make sure the good stuff stays... :O)

Susan said...

Sue - I'm hoping that keeping on a schedule will help me toe the line. I mean, seven things a week isn't that difficult, right?

Susan said...

Bobbie - Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Mollie said...

I have a house in dire need of de-cluttering--looking at the computer screen reading blogs, emails, Facebook--is one big river called DENIAL. So, I read your blog. In case I get inspired here's my question to you about shedding one thing a day: does one sheet of newspaper count as one thing? Or one empty aluminum can? Or one empty paper bag? ;-)

Seriously, good luck! and go easy I say. One thing I have done with some success is set a timer--I have to de-clutter for an hour and then I can do something else for an hour. Knowing there is an END time to the de-cluttering period the job doesn't seem as onerous as it really is!

Unknown said...

Ah Susan, you've inspired me. Clothes. The classic "when I drop a few pounds, I'll wear it again" line has sustained me for going on 5/6 years and I've stayed pretty resolutely the same shape/size. So, who wants clothes constantly squished down one end of the wardrobe that is creaking at the joints (sounds too much like me)? No. Tomorrow is the day.

Happy New Year from the other side of the pond. Thanks for all your amusing musings, they tickle me pink.

Suz said...

oh this will be fun
onward fearless leader!

Fiona said...

Okay.....is this like a challenge? :) Strangely enough my plan is to learn what is realistic to save and what just simply piles up...but so many things are useful. Well maybe someday! This is going to be a real adventure!

Casa Mariposa said...

Getting rid of stuff is so therapeutic. I've moved 17 times so we were always getting rid of stuff. It feels so good to declutter. You can do this!!

Michelle said...

Several of you blogpals are inspiring me this week. I could certainly use more exercise, shed some of this flab that is the heat-seeking missile of menopause, do a much better job of avoiding sugar, and de-thing A.LOT.

Susan said...

Mollie, you can count every piece of anything! Whatever it takes to cross that river, deNile! :)

Susan said...

Beverly, I am heading into my closet today. I may need a machete and bug spray...

Susan said...

:-0

Susan said...

Fiona - that's the biggest problem! So many things can be useful!

Susan said...

CM - 17 times?! You've got it down!

Susan said...

Michelle - LOVE that description! Why do I always wait until winter to decide to exercise more?

Unknown said...

Good for you! I looked at my "simple" holiday decor and realized I still have way too much, and it's looking cluttered. I gave a way a few things to my kids already and will sort out more today. You might try baked chips and DARK chocolate! Not deprive yourself but make a different choice. And drink LOTS of water :)

Susan said...

Just reading about decluttering scares me. I truly wish you success in your venture. Seeing you get through it will calm my nerves no end and I'll be able to start on my own pile.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I kept all the art - I can buy a couch and a bed anywhere

Anonymous said...

I've been getting rid of stuff for while over a year now. The house feels much lighter and happier, though I still feel I have too much. Good for you, my advice, go slowly. I recently read a book called "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo. She talked about the feeling of joy when you pick an item up. If you don't feel "joy" about a belonging (not necessarily pots and pans, but books, clothing, etc.) then don't keep it. Keep us updated

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Go for it girl!!!! I know you can fulfill your 2016 goals :-)
Like you, my husband and I have planned on going through our entire place and finally getting rid of items. We would also like to pay off our debt, and change our way of life (health). Happy New Year!