Pages

Monday, November 28, 2016

Everything got done but the laundry.

And the dusting.  And the applesauce. ...
When standing on the precipice of an extended weekend, I tend to make overblown lists.  It's like I have no real concept of time - or that, magically, long weekends are really, really long.
With four days stretching ahead - I picked up a pen and went wild.  However, I was pleasantly surprised when I did a recap last night.  In fact, I was quite smug.

The cooking got done:
Pumpkin Pie
Cranberry Curd Tart
Crustless Cranberry Pie


Four Ingredient PB Cookies
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Baked Apples
Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish
(two batches)
GRAVY
There was preserving:
8 quarts of turkey broth
There was humiliation:
Yes, I am one of THOSE mothers.
There was a chicken conga line:

Trees were cut down. 
A long-term UFO was finished.
The wind chimes were fixed.
There was an avalanche (and more shoveling):
The metal roof "self-cleared".
There was an amazing amount of adorable-ness:
My nephew, niece-in-law, and grandnephew.

Words escape me.
Oh, my heart of hearts.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and were mesmerized by Adrian, the cherub pictured above.  He entertained us through dinner - had I been more on the ball, I would have filmed his method of testing food.  His mother (the beautiful Sabrina) would spoon in a morsel, his tiny face would scrunch up as he registered the foreign object, then - depending on the outcome - he would break into a big smile, or a scrunchy frown.  It was fascinating.

I cavalierly offered to drive my youngest sister to her bus for her trip back down to the City.  We left with plenty of time...had the bus station still been in the location I remembered.  From 15 years ago.   I managed to get her there before the bus left - by putting my car in its path.  Luckily, the driver chose not to run us over.  Oy.


21 comments:

Susan said...

You crazy kid!

Mama Pea said...

The adorable child, the sweet pups, the amount you got done over the (not-so) long weekend! A wonderful post!

Sue said...

Hahahaa--loved the chicken "Conga" line--what a hoot! You sure were busy. Ain't it grand--those LONGGGGGGg weekends!?!

The Maine Gray Zone said...

Whoa.... what a cutie. I can see how he has captured a few hearts.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a wonderful holiday! and what a cute kid!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That last paragraph has caused this little film to play in my mind of your car laying rubber while its tires scream as you do a 180 turn into the bus's path -- sort of like something out of the Blues Brothers, if you remember that movie.

Nancy In Boise said...

Wow, I was such a lazy bum in comparison!

Gail said...

You did get a lot done but the most important was who you got to spend time with. Happy Thanksgiving.

Michelle said...

Careful with those punchlines; someone could choke on their mocha! ;-)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh your grandnephew would take my words away too. What a beautiful family. You are one busy girl and laundry and clean clothes are overrated;) Sounds like Thanksgiving was magical.HUG B

Susan said...

Susan, I'm taking that as a compliment... :)

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I am hoping that you had yourself a wonderful holiday as well. Oh that NY and MN were not so far apart...

Susan said...

Sue - I'm starting to think of them as retirement dress rehearsals. And I like them. A lot.

Susan said...

Sylvie - He is just 1 and is tearing around like a little machine. I've never seen anything like it. A happy little dumpling, too.

Susan said...

Jaz - He is even more adorable in person. He's a perfect blend of his good-looking parents.

Susan said...

OMG. I loved that movie! It wasn't quite a screaming maneuver, as it was a slow and determined move - I was trying not to freak my sister out more than I already had.

Susan said...

I find that hard to believe...

Susan said...

Gail - It was a perfect combination of action and relaxation. My favorite way to spend a weekend.

Susan said...

Oooh, a mocha! My hot drink of choice! I hope you recovered... :)

Susan said...

Thank you, Buttons! I never worry about laundry until I run out of socks.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

I'm excited for you kid!!! You've accomplished all kinds of work, had family over, and your dogs look amazing in their outfits. Did anyone of them try to remove their clothing? Beans will pull off his shirt/sweater and play with it.

Hugs,
Sandy