Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

You'll have to use your imagination.

No pictures with this post - it falls under the "what I won't do" category.


I have been feeding the lone barn cat - a few others come and go - over at my neighbor's late father's farmhouse every morning.  This arose after I realized the farmer was putting poison rat bait in the barn AND feeding the barn cat.  Argh!  So we worked out a deal where I feed the cat on the farmhouse porch so that I can make sure she won't rely on a diet of poisoned mice.  She's still a huntress, but at least she's so well-fed she's not eating her catch.


Every morning between 6:30-7, I drive to the farm and leave dry food for her.  If she is there, I also give her a tin of wet food.  While I won't say we are chums, after months of slow motions and ridiculous baby talk, she at least does not bolt off and hide when I'm there.  We've reached a sort of détente.  If she is not waiting for me, I just leave dry food, not wanting to attract unwanted dinner guests.


The Sunday following Thanksgiving, I had heated up some generic sausage/cheese/egg/biscuit breakfast sandwiches for the guys - a break from sugar for them and a break from baking for me.  I decided to deliver the sandwiches first, and then feed the cat.  Except...


As I slowed down going past the farmhouse - checking to see if she was on the porch, waiting for me - I happened to look up at a large maple tree at the side of the driveway.  Waaaay at the top, teetering on a small branch, was the cat.  I slammed the brakes on, swerved into the driveway, put the car in neutral and jumped out.  She was hollering up a storm.  I was trying to talk her down - with a little success, as she sidled down to a less fragile branch about two feet below.  I knew that there was no way I could climb up there to get her because: a.  my joints throbbed just thinking about it and there wasn't a ladder handy; and b.  she would have torn me to ribbons.  We're not THAT close.


What to do, what to do.  We stared at each other for a few minutes, then I turned around with my back facing the tree trunk and bent over.  There was a moment or two of hesitation (wherein I was praying no one would drive by and wonder what the heck I was doing), then she dropped like a stone onto my back and bounced onto the ground.  Let me say two things - she's VERY well-fed and I am so very grateful that I was wearing my heavy-duty, twill down vest.  We both took a moment to recover and then I served her breakfast.  The guys got lukewarm sandwiches.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW - just wow again!! Oh the things we will do for our furry little friends....there will be a special place in heaven for folks like us. I'm hoping at least that is the case!!

Unknown said...

That's pretty cool that you offered her your back and she understood the offer to help. Shows you two have some sort of non-verbal going on.

Mama Pea said...

What in the world ever caused you to offer your back as a "soft landing??" I never would have thought of that. (Maybe holding out my arms and calling, "Jump, Kitty, Jump!" or something equally as ineffectual.) Oh, Sweezie . . . I can just hear the conversation with the doctor in the Emergency Room: "And how did you put this gash in your forehead?" "Well, dear doctor, it happened when the very well fed cat jumpe from high up in the tree, landed on my back which I offered as a landing pad, and the force of the hit caused me to do a face-plant on the frozen ground." Sigh. What are we going to do with you?!

Susan said...

Beth - I'm with Will Rogers. I'm going where the dogs (and cats) go. It will be a heckofa lot more fun.

Susan said...

Arte - I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that she equates me with a steady supply of food. But that's okay with me.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I have long given up trying to figure out how my mind works (or not). I will say that it did knock the wind out of me a bit. She's a chunky monkey... For gashes? Superglue! No doctors involved... :)

jaz@octoberfarm said...

wow!!!

Jenn said...

I'm amazed she knew to jump on your back, teamwork!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Talk about successful non-verbal communication! You and the cat both knew exactly what to do! I predict you and she will become BFFs and she'll come live with you.

Michelle said...

Ditto what Mama Pea said! Who needs firemen?!? (Well, at least for THAT. ;-)

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,
Obviously this cat trusts you enough for her life.
Is there any way you can setup a trap to catch the cat and bring her home?

Nancy In Boise said...

That's great, too bad you can't get her to come to your house! You're so kind :)

AnnieK said...

oh my, that was hilarious, love it !!!!