Pages

Monday, February 27, 2017

And this should come as no surprise...

I love Fridays.  Friday afternoons around 5:30, most especially (intended redundancy - I love it that much).  It's especially nice when my drive home is in the twilight, which makes me think that it will soon be light for the drive (which also means more work time at home - bonus!), there is no asshat two feet behind me on a very winding road with his bright lights on for eleven point two miles, and there's just the ever-so-slight whiff of spring in the air.  I have two almost whole days to spend with my furry, woolly and feathered crew, and two days of extra lattes in the morning!  Woohoo!  I pull into the carport, grab my various bags and do the happy dance to the front door.


I open the front door and....oh, the smell.


Apparently, Bertie consumed something that did not agree with him.  It apparently did not agree with him in a violent manner, as in blasting out both ends.  The poor, poor boy had been trapped in his crate with the end results all day.


At 11:30 PM (well past my bedtime) after washing dog bedding, Bertie and disinfecting the entire inside of his crate - along with all the regular chores and cooking up some rice for B's compromised intestinal tract, I was finally straggling to bed, where I spent the next three hours sleeping fitfully, one ear on alert for all-is-not-well sounds, until I finally gave up trying.  Bertie drank a gallon of water and slept like a log for hours.  Oh, I wish.  I had to do errands and didn't want to leave him in his crate or at home unattended, so he went with me.  You would never know he had been sick - he was the picture of glistening health, bright brown eyes, shiny red coat, brand new collar.  Then, there was his mother....nuff said.


I was really, really looking forward to an early bedtime Saturday night.  I had managed to drag through the day and get a few things done so it wasn't a total loss, but I was knackered.  Then....the temps went from 69 to 29.  With a very fast cold front and ensuing violent storm in between.  Which also meant that the power went out.  I have heard howling wind, but I have not heard shrieking wind since I sat through a tornado in Texas many, many moons ago.  The wind shrieked.  Then the rains came through horizontally.  I sat on my chair and a half with three dogs and two cats and my headlamp illuminating my knitting.  Sleep was not an option.  I did doze off after the storm stopped and everyone had gone back to their personal furniture (except The Pepperoni, who is perpetually glued to my side).  At midnight, I gave up and went to bed, only to be awakened by all the lights coming on at 3:30AM.  Le sigh.


I spent almost all of Sunday getting my laundry done, the house tidied and dinner organized for company at 3 (all my 80+ friends don't like to drive in the dark).  I then spent the next two hours cleaning up, then did chores, then more knitting until 9, then pranced off to bed with a clear conscience.  I didn't wake up until almost 6!  Which, while a completely glorious and much-needed 9 hours of sleep, put me behind the eight-ball for a Monday morning.


Ah, well.  There's always next weekend....

16 comments:

Jenn said...

Sorry your weekend didn't go as planned. Fingers crossed for next weekend!

Michelle said...

Oy! Although I must say that I would endure all that x10 for "a completely glorious 9 hours of sleep." Not sure such a thing exists anymore....

Rain said...

Oooh, poor pup! But gosh are they resilient...more than us! And I'm glad you got your sleep too :) I need more sleep these days, but my internal clock wakes me after 6 hours...not sure why. I love that you wrote "Le sigh"....hee hee, are you echoing Pepé Le Pew perchance? Le LOL.

Susan said...

Thanks, Jenn! I think I'll try ignoring the weekend to see if that makes a difference.

Susan said...

Michelle - I don't think I've had 9 hours of sleep in...I don't remember that far back. As much as I had to rush around, I sure felt rested. What an interesting and strange feeling!

Susan said...

Rain - I LOVED Pepe Le Pew! I usually get six hours and can function just fine. But I sure can't bounce back like I used to when my sleep pattern (using the term loosely) gets unraveled. Back in the day, I could go a couple of days with no sleep and often did.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope next weekend is better!

Susan said...

Sleep deprivation is the worst!!!! Is there a secret nook at work where you could put in a solid hour unnoticed?

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Sounds like Bertie is on the mend. You work hard all week long at work, and home. When the weekend comes we always look forward to some down time, and sleep. Hopefully, this weekend will work out better for you.
Sending hugs,
Sandy

Mama Pea said...

Oh, Susan, whadda start to your weekend! I think you should start a "count down" box on your side bar . . . one showing how many days to retirement from your away-from-home job. We could all support you by watching how fast the days go by and cheering you on. You would be such a happy, full-time homestead-y person. Just take care of yourself (give yourself a bit of a break on weekends?) so you can revel in that full-time homesteading in a couple/few years. I worry about you burning the candle at both ends. (And maybe a touch in the middle sometimes!)

Susan said...

That makes two of us.

Susan said...

Susan, I've thought about putting a hammock in the back file room...

Susan said...

Sandy, Bertie is very resilient. He bounced back much more quickly than I did. But, then, he's two and I'm not. I bet you are a busy gal yourself these days! xo

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Hey! That's a great idea! I don't have much planned this weekend other than the monthly shopping. I am going to keep it that way. If I can. I hope.

Nancy In Boise said...

That stinks, ha! Glad your power came back on and now damage from the wind...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I keep missing your posts. I double checked my blog reading list and "poof" you were gone. I added you back on. I don't know what's going on. I hope I fixed it today. I don't want to miss anymore. Yikes.