Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Things are clearer in the light of day - and weird stash.

When I get up at my usual 4A, it is dark.  The dogs go tear-assing outside to protect us from whatever lurks and I am always worried that there will actually BE something to attack out there in the dark.  A couple of mornings ago, Bertie came charging in with something rather large in his mouth.  It was also dark inside, as I may get up early, but I need to approach light (and waking up) gradually...  I told him to drop it, which he did.  Then I did a dumb thing - I bent over and grabbed it.  In the dark.  It was stiff, cold and furry.  ARGLE!
I ran to the nearest lamp and switched it on.  Of course, now that we have all these wonderful energy-saving bulbs, it takes some little time for actual light to appear.




I wondered where my other best mitten went.  Apparently, a good bit of the top either went down Bertie's gullet, or I may find the remnants in the spring thaw.


*****

How much snow did we get?  Well, take a look-see at my neighbor plowing my drive:
It was his medium tractor

I have tractor envy.
Yes.  That much.
*****
All this forced inside living has given me an excuse to make progress on my latest pair of socks - destined for my other sister. 
Melanie's "Maple"
It's been a little hard to focus because Melanie appeared at our Knit In on Saturday wearing cabled leg warmers that I immediately coveted.  What a smart thing!  I am always getting snow in my boots.  I went rooting around in my stash and came across some Noro yarn that is....well, weird.  I have a love thang going with Noro yarn.  My late and dear Kate despised it - it is very....organic.  Apparently, this colorway of super bulky yarn was not selling (oh, do tell) so I must have taken a look at the price and pounced on it.  I imagine the yarn store employees were snortling all the way to the cash register.
It's like knitting with organic matter.  Cool-ish.
HOWEVER, I do believe they will make a fetching pair of gaiter/leg warmers.  They look rather like lichen-y, mossy, barky things.  I better make sure I keep moving when the dogs are around me...

19 comments:

Sue said...

Ha-glad it was just a glove!
I didn't have my contacts in one fine day when I spied something on the floor. I went to pick it up figuring I dropped a sock on the way back from the dryer. Nope. It MOVED. And in my blindness, I sent it flying across the room. It was a toad. Poor thing. He had a tale to tell when he got back outside...........

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is one wild 'n crazy yarn alright!

Mama Pea said...

That stiff, cold, furry used-to-be mitten of yours would have been bad enough to grab in the dark but Sue's toad would have sent me into such shock I think I would have ended up comatose on the floor.

Ummm, got snow? Wow.

I like your gaiter/leg warmer yarn. It's . . . colorful!

Saundra said...

Sue, I finally got to the post office. The scarf is fab-u-lous. You're knitting is superb!! I was so excited when I opened the package I called my friend who knits & told she had to come see "my prize." She was in awe of your knitting. She also asked is there a pattern available for it. I told her I would ask you. Lily is going to love it. I will send a proper note, but, I wanted to publicaly brag about your beautiful knitting. And it feels good to touch. Hugs, Sandy Keep warm.

Susan said...

Sue, I like toads, but I would have to be prepared before I actually picked one up - I would have been out on the floor next to Mama Pea.

Susan said...

Debra - I bet I will have one-of-a-kind gaiters!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Yes, that Noro yarn is .. different .. but I like it!

Susan said...

Thank you, Sandy! It is an oldie but goodie - tell your friend to go to Ravelry and look up "The One & Only Morehouse Alligator Scarf". I bought it as part of a kit from them many moons ago.

kymber said...

i have a cat who just loves toads and frogs - i don't know how he catches them but every spring/summer/fall he comes in the house all proud with a toad or a frog in his mouth. nary a bite or mark on them. and then me and jambaloney spend a good hour trying to catch the dang thing. cat just gets on his ottoman and grooms himself quite proudly as he IS the toad/frog whisperer - bahahahah!

kymber said...

Susan - THAT is a lot of snow that you got! i am super glad that your neighbour plows you out - he's awesome! tell him i said that!

i missed the scarf give-away - i loooooooove everything pink (i have a pink mermaid tail for the love of all that is holy!). and i looooove that Noro yarn! so i was thinking - what if you had a canadian blogging friend and wanted to send them a gift? hmmmm....well, maybe you could send them those awesome Noro leg warmers...bahahahahahahah! they are going to be the coolest things and everyone is gonna want a pair once you go out about the town in them. yer starting a new trend gurl!

sending much love! your friend,
kymber

Jenn said...

Oh man, I cringed thinking it was something else...glad it was a mitten!!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Lucky you!!! As I was reading your post, I'm thinking to myself OMG....what if that was a living creature ready to attack or spray you. Thank God it was your mitten!!!

Nice color for your leggins....who cares what people think they'll keep your legs warm :-)

Hugs,
Sandy

Nancy In Boise said...

Glove yes, rat or other ew!

Fiona said...

wow snow...we have not had hardly any...we are a bit worried about bug control. Love the Gaters

Susan said...

Those gaiters are going to come in handy when they are searching for you in the snow.

The Maine Gray Zone said...

I love Leg warmers... they balance out the hips!

Erin said...

Love the color way of that yarn! I too, love making legwarmers - they are quicker than socks and you get to skip the whole heel/hell turning and foot!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

yeah...you could end up looking like your mitten! it's sunny and in the 70's here all week. i could scream!

Mrs Shoes said...

You got lucky; the last time I picked up something in the dark it was still ALIVE!