Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Things are clearer in the light of day - and weird stash.

When I get up at my usual 4A, it is dark.  The dogs go tear-assing outside to protect us from whatever lurks and I am always worried that there will actually BE something to attack out there in the dark.  A couple of mornings ago, Bertie came charging in with something rather large in his mouth.  It was also dark inside, as I may get up early, but I need to approach light (and waking up) gradually...  I told him to drop it, which he did.  Then I did a dumb thing - I bent over and grabbed it.  In the dark.  It was stiff, cold and furry.  ARGLE!
I ran to the nearest lamp and switched it on.  Of course, now that we have all these wonderful energy-saving bulbs, it takes some little time for actual light to appear.




I wondered where my other best mitten went.  Apparently, a good bit of the top either went down Bertie's gullet, or I may find the remnants in the spring thaw.


*****

How much snow did we get?  Well, take a look-see at my neighbor plowing my drive:
It was his medium tractor

I have tractor envy.
Yes.  That much.
*****
All this forced inside living has given me an excuse to make progress on my latest pair of socks - destined for my other sister. 
Melanie's "Maple"
It's been a little hard to focus because Melanie appeared at our Knit In on Saturday wearing cabled leg warmers that I immediately coveted.  What a smart thing!  I am always getting snow in my boots.  I went rooting around in my stash and came across some Noro yarn that is....well, weird.  I have a love thang going with Noro yarn.  My late and dear Kate despised it - it is very....organic.  Apparently, this colorway of super bulky yarn was not selling (oh, do tell) so I must have taken a look at the price and pounced on it.  I imagine the yarn store employees were snortling all the way to the cash register.
It's like knitting with organic matter.  Cool-ish.
HOWEVER, I do believe they will make a fetching pair of gaiter/leg warmers.  They look rather like lichen-y, mossy, barky things.  I better make sure I keep moving when the dogs are around me...

18 comments:

  1. Ha-glad it was just a glove!
    I didn't have my contacts in one fine day when I spied something on the floor. I went to pick it up figuring I dropped a sock on the way back from the dryer. Nope. It MOVED. And in my blindness, I sent it flying across the room. It was a toad. Poor thing. He had a tale to tell when he got back outside...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I like toads, but I would have to be prepared before I actually picked one up - I would have been out on the floor next to Mama Pea.

      Delete
    2. i have a cat who just loves toads and frogs - i don't know how he catches them but every spring/summer/fall he comes in the house all proud with a toad or a frog in his mouth. nary a bite or mark on them. and then me and jambaloney spend a good hour trying to catch the dang thing. cat just gets on his ottoman and grooms himself quite proudly as he IS the toad/frog whisperer - bahahahah!

      Delete
  2. That is one wild 'n crazy yarn alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra - I bet I will have one-of-a-kind gaiters!

      Delete
  3. That stiff, cold, furry used-to-be mitten of yours would have been bad enough to grab in the dark but Sue's toad would have sent me into such shock I think I would have ended up comatose on the floor.

    Ummm, got snow? Wow.

    I like your gaiter/leg warmer yarn. It's . . . colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea - Yes, that Noro yarn is .. different .. but I like it!

      Delete
  4. Sue, I finally got to the post office. The scarf is fab-u-lous. You're knitting is superb!! I was so excited when I opened the package I called my friend who knits & told she had to come see "my prize." She was in awe of your knitting. She also asked is there a pattern available for it. I told her I would ask you. Lily is going to love it. I will send a proper note, but, I wanted to publicaly brag about your beautiful knitting. And it feels good to touch. Hugs, Sandy Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! It is an oldie but goodie - tell your friend to go to Ravelry and look up "The One & Only Morehouse Alligator Scarf". I bought it as part of a kit from them many moons ago.

      Delete
  5. Susan - THAT is a lot of snow that you got! i am super glad that your neighbour plows you out - he's awesome! tell him i said that!

    i missed the scarf give-away - i loooooooove everything pink (i have a pink mermaid tail for the love of all that is holy!). and i looooove that Noro yarn! so i was thinking - what if you had a canadian blogging friend and wanted to send them a gift? hmmmm....well, maybe you could send them those awesome Noro leg warmers...bahahahahahahah! they are going to be the coolest things and everyone is gonna want a pair once you go out about the town in them. yer starting a new trend gurl!

    sending much love! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I cringed thinking it was something else...glad it was a mitten!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan,

    Lucky you!!! As I was reading your post, I'm thinking to myself OMG....what if that was a living creature ready to attack or spray you. Thank God it was your mitten!!!

    Nice color for your leggins....who cares what people think they'll keep your legs warm :-)

    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow snow...we have not had hardly any...we are a bit worried about bug control. Love the Gaters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those gaiters are going to come in handy when they are searching for you in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Leg warmers... they balance out the hips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color way of that yarn! I too, love making legwarmers - they are quicker than socks and you get to skip the whole heel/hell turning and foot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got lucky; the last time I picked up something in the dark it was still ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete