Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

I'm All Baked Out.

Another whirlwind weekend.  Since there was lots going on and the temperatures were going to be in the upper 80s to low 90s with accompanying humidity, I decided that I should spend most of the weekend in front of a hot oven.  I really can't help myself.  It started Friday night, when I finally got to try a new pizza crust recipe using zucchini.  I had seen this on a blog that I admire and saved it for trying some hot, sultry evening.


Zucchini & cheese - what's
not to love?

Phase 2 - the Prebake

I couldn't wait...
I was such a rousing success, that I toyed with the option of having nothing but zucchini pizza crusts for the next week - never mind the toppings!  This is a complete winner and I will be making more of these and freezing them - as long as the zucchini (Marianne's, not mine) holds out.


Then there was the anniversary dinner for my parents.  I whipped up a GF pineapple upside down cake Saturday morning.  This is a solid standard for me - it has never let me down.  No one even guessed it was GF.  It also helped ease the pain of my mechanic's bill...almost.
It came out of the pan in
perfect condition!
In between, there were two batches of my new favorite granola/muesli - cherry and pecan.  Although the second batch was cherry, walnut and almond.  I had run out of pecans.  The first batch went to my neighbor and my sister.  The second is all mine.  You can find the recipe here.  I really like it because it is not too sweet, using maple syrup instead of sugar.
Half of batch #1

I had invited Marianne over for dinner on Sunday because it was a great way to get to spend some quality time with her.  She brought about 10# of tomatoes, more zucchini (!!!!!!), a cucumber, apples, and a bottle of wine.  Good grief.  She also schlepped her apple picker because I had two pears out of reach on my good old pear tree.  It was a great evening, topped off with:
Prune Plum Crumble!
I was too distracted to take a picture pre-dinner.  I am saving the pips because those plums are soooo delicious, I am hoping to start my own trees.  You will see two and a half pints of diced tomatoes next to it - I am managing a couple, few pints of things here and there.  I do not have a great deal of tomatoes (although Marianne is trying...) for canning up a big batch, so doing a couple at a time has worked out great.  I have what amounts to a stainless steel asparagus cooker that I use as a tiny batch hot water canner.  Bonus!


The best part of the weekend?  Celebrating the Official Foster Failure of Peanut Butter!  He is ours, officially.  He and Lovey (and Slimbo) had tiny hamburger patties cooked on the grill to celebrate.
Guarding his strawberry
On a humorous note, as part of the anniversary celebration, my mother requested that we convene on their den and look at family slides.  Slides, for those young whippersnappers, were the iPhone pics of the 60s and 70s.  There was much riotous laughter.  I leave you with evidence of my moody teenage self.
I was very big on bangs.  And
fashionable sunglasses.  But I made
the shorts... :)

26 comments:

CraveCute said...

Great post! The zucchini/cheese pizza crust is brilliant!

Ed said...

Looks like a very tasty time to be living in your house! I have never had GF pineapple upside down cake but the gluten full version is a staple at our house for my father's choice of birthday cakes.

Michelle said...

We had the crumble last weekend, too; SO GOOD!

PJS said...

Three cheers for your "foster fail", Peanut Butter is a lucky dog.

ElaineChicago said...

I'm so happy PeanutButter is really yours now! He's such a sweetheart and you are too for opening your heart to another
Baby Dog!
I don't know how you get to the canning, baking, cooking and so on with a full time job in the city and wrangling all the animals on your farm. Good for you!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Can anyone EVER run out of zucchini? I don't think that's possible.

Rain said...

Hi Susan :)) Congrats on finding a great pizza crust! It looks great! And so does the cake! Alex loves pineapple upside down cake, I make it a few times a year for him. Did you try your Cherry Bounce btw? Ours is still aging for another month or so!

I LOVE THE PHOTO!!! I'm big on bangs too lol...large forehead to hide ha ha! Congratulations on your foster fail!!! :))) I'm so happy for you!

Goatldi said...

Do I get bonus points for seeing it coming? PB of course. My job here is done.

I love love love Pinaapple upside down cake! I am so happy you posted the granola link will be getting a few needed items on Wednesday when I go to town and will whip up a batch on Thursday.

Bake on!

Susan said...

It is - and gluten free to boot!

Susan said...

Funny, it's my least favorite cake and I end up making it all the time...

Susan said...

It's the PLUMS!!! xoxo

Susan said...

It was destined from the start. He is awfully cute.

Susan said...

Thanks, Elaine! I get things done by not paying attention to how much I have to do...

Susan said...

I ran out before I started, unfortunately. Thank goD my friend had a bumper crop!

Susan said...

Thanks, Rain! The Cherry Bounce is awesome! It will play a big part in getting me through the winter... LOL I know, bangs!

Susan said...

You get many bonus points! I love the granola but use at least twice the coconut oil they call for. I think it would be too dry without it. It's perfect for these hot, humid FALL days... :)

Mama Pea said...

Thanks for steering me (and all of us) to the recipes for the zucchini pizza crust (gonna try it!) and granola. I love a good granola, but don't like the high price of it in the store.

I have a good recipe (gluten full, as Ed above says) for Pineapple Upside Down cake but can't say it's my favorite. (I'd rather have pie than cake any day.)

So glad to hear your little Peanut Butter Buddy is home to stay. Happy, happy!

OMG, I love that picture of you! Bangs, yes. I've always had them because of my huge forehead that I try to hide. Reminds me of when my uncle (years and years ago) cut his little daughter's hair. She had bangs and he trimmed them very short. When she looked in the mirror, she burst into tears saying, "But now I've got way too much face!"

angryparsnip said...

Congratulations for the Foster Family Fail.
He is a cutie patootie. Happy gud dug, happy home.

cheers, parsnip

Theresa said...

Here's to you Mr. P Butters for securing a fruitful and loving future. She should be a piece of hamburger to train. :-)
cheese and zucchini pair crust, flipping brilliant!

Jenn said...

I am going to be trying that zucchini crust! I am all about zucchini lately, in fact I am making zucchini noodles with pesto right now.

Theresa Y said...

Welcome to the family Mr. Peanut Butter. Man, that crust looks really good. I tried the cauliflower crust once. It was good but a lot of work getting the moisture out of it. Did you have to wring out the zucchini crust before baking? And that pineapple upside down cake looks fabulous. I'm sitting at my computer at work writing this and my stomach has started growling.

Susan said...

Our foreheads bode great intelligence, Mama Pea. Yep. I remember my great aunt telling me to "for godsake cover that forehead!" when I was trying for a new look. Builds lots of confidence, don't you think? :)

Susan said...

Thank you, parsnip. He is a gud dog, indeed.

Susan said...

I am hoping the hamburger routine will work on getting him not to bite me when I try and trim his nails....should take about 5#...

Susan said...

I love zucchini noodles! Let me know how you like that crust - I think I will just eat it as is, with no toppings next time.

Susan said...

Theresa, I'm a fan of the Trader Joe's cauliflower crust but, even pre-made, you have to cook it twice before you even top it! I have never worked up enough nerve to try one from scratch.