Pages

Monday, March 19, 2018

Updates

It has finally stopped snowing.  However, to add insult to injury, the temps have plummeted.  I awoke on Sunday morning to -3*.  If Mother Nature had been sitting in my living room, I would have given her a pummeling.  And she would have been sitting in a cold living room, as I cannot safely light a fire because the ton of snow on the roof has shifted my chimney pipe to a slight angle.  I'm not sure if it is seated safely, so will have to wait until spring when the true horrors of roof damage are apparent.
Actually, it is already quite apparent that there is a lot of damage - the oven fan vent is gone.  The two bathroom fan vents are totaled.  The fresh air intake pipes are toast.  Sigh.
Exactly how I feel, Peanuttier.
After calling around to try and find someone qualified to assess the damage, then having both parties contacted stand me up, I hired a local kid (the same kid that will be replacing my fencing) to clamber up a ladder and cover the open vents until I find someone who is qualified and will show up.  Oh, to be 17 again.  Not.  Nothing can fix broken faster than a couple of plastic bags and a roll of duct tape.


The latest news is that the next nor'easter that was scheduled to drop more snow on us Tuesday/Wednesday, should go far enough out to sea that we will be snowless.  Let's hope that is the case because it is going to take 'til June to melt what we have.


Saturday was a whirwind of activity involving Lulu (aka Zsa Zsa), long overdue shopping, more shoveling, checking on my parents, seeing my youngest sister, and finally getting a good haircut.  I know that a goodly portion of my crankiness was the fact that I have been dragging around for months with a bad haircut.  I have been having my hair cut by the same woman for years and I adore her.  But...she is distracted by life events and I have had a bad haircut twice in a row.  Tired of months of bad hair days,  I finally checked myself into a proper salon (and paid the price...gulp) but myauntjessie, it was totally worth it.  There may not be spring in the air, but there's a spring in my step now.


Sunday was - you guessed it - spent shoveling.  There was still at least four inches of solid ice, topped by a mound of snow on multiple points along the front roof line.  I had to unearth/snow my propane tank.  100# of feed had to be dragged through the house and down the back to the coop.  There was knitting.  There was laundry.  There was cleaning.  There was cooking.  I made my favorite applesauce spice cake that is the best gluten free recipe I have found to-date.  It is a breeze to make and the barn guys like it.  I also made a new-to-me recipe, GF Irish Cottage Pie, which is sort of like a shepherd's pie.  The filling was grass fed ground beef (from my friend, Cynthia's, cows), leeks, garlic, carrots, peas, tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, basil, cinnamon, red wine, and Balsamic vinegar.  It is 'lidded' with potatoes mashed with EVOO, and baked in a 350* oven for 30 minutes.  It was delicious, but I would cut the amount of cinnamon in half the next time I make it.  And I will make it again.


An update on Lulu (which she will always be, to me).  One Sunday ago, after what I thought was a seamless meshing of foster and resident dogs, she attacked Peanut Butter without provocation.  Luckily, I was standing close-by and was able to intercede.  There was no damage done - just some terrified shrieking by PB - and Lu stopped immediately.  But.  After what we went through with Pepperoni and Kramer, there is no margin for error.  The dogs were separated again, and I contacted the rescue.  Through tens of calls and emails, involving at least six people, another foster was found for her that was perfect.  Lu went to her first adoption clinic and had her follow-up vet appointment where the news was good - she lost 3#, her skin and coat are much improved and her energy level has perked up.  They also figured she was closer to 7 than 9, so she lost two years, too!  I am so happy for her and am glad I was the first step in her journey to her forever home.  She was such a hit at the adoption clinic with the store staff, that they gave her a spa treatment - bath, ears and nails!  What is not to love?  I do miss her, however.
75# of lovable dog
I only have good things to say about this rescue group - they do whatever it takes to make sure that dogs in their care are in the best place possible.  The best food, the best vet care, the most loving care.  I wouldn't be surprised if her foster mom decided to keep her forever.  We are back to the four Musketeers and Slimmie seems to be very happy about that - I am thinking about renaming him Velcro.  We are still on the foster list and hope to welcome another pooch into the fold.  It is quite something to be part of the process that brings the realization to these dogs that their life is about to change for the better - the best, really.  It is magic.

35 comments:

Theresa Y said...

Wow, LuLu really has a face that will melt your heart. Understandable she had to be placed elsewhere. Here hoping she finds that "forever home" very soon.

Susan said...

I know. I really was leaning towards adopting her, but I can't risk any harm coming to PB or Slimmie, or Lovey. And being constantly kept separate was not fair to Lu, either. But she is just so squishy. I miss all those glorious wrinkles.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You have really had your share of snow and trouble with it. Sorry about all that damage, but glad you found someone to help for now. Golly. That pooch sure looks like a lot of love.

Susan said...

I will dig a path to your house if it means I can lose two years, 2 in dog must be a very satisfactory number in human. Keep up the good work. Sympathies regarding the roof.

Susan said...

It's almost worth it, isn't it? What do they say - our two years is 7 years in dog life.

Susan said...

I am hoping that I can find at least a couple of people for quotes - I don't want to be held hostage! If it can just stop snowing, I will be thrilled! She (Lulu) is the baby hippo of love. Such a sweet dog. Unfortunately, she would prefer to be the only dog. She's the only dog in her new foster and, reportedly, loving it.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Wouldn't it figure that right after I post about maybe wanting to have chickens again, you chime in with transporting 1oo lbs. of feed!! When the kids were little, they had a good plastic sled with a rope handle. I used to drag feed bags or straw bails on the sled over the snow. Just a thought. Glad your doggy found a home where another dog won't be an issue. -Jenn

Theresa said...

Well you know they don't call them long nd low ones hot dogs for nothing! ;-)
The terriers tell me they make tasty snacks as I'm sure Lulu knows. Thank heavens you were there and yes, any dog with such a size difference from the smallest ( and no doubt most dramatic) of the bunch who shows any aggression needs to find new digs. I am so sorry about your roof. Gosh damn, maybe you can at least get someone up there to check the chimney pipe out. Looks like an expensive spring coming up. If snow like this is becoming the norm in the NE, then maybe a metal roof might be something to investigate. They do shed wonderfully. Stay warm and sending springy thoughts from Oregon.

tpals said...

I hear you on the hair; my stylist for forever is thrice divorced and I can always tell her emotional state by my hair. I've gone back in and just stood there - she is always mortified when she realizes what she did and fixes it. Lol

That's very worrying about your roof. One year I had ice dams on the roof that caused the walls to separate from the ceiling. My first insurance claim on the house.

I'm glad your experience with Lulu was overall good and she's gone on to more loving care.

Michelle said...

You and Lu, forever (not) meant to be; c'est la vie. May the snow leave faster than the latest foster dog, and may a good contractor stick to you like Slimmie!

Susan said...

LOL! I actually load my feed onto my plastic sled, drag it up the front walk, haul it up the steps, into and through the house, out of the house to the back deck, down the stairs and out to the coop. True hillbilly stylin'!

Susan said...

Oh, yes. Drama is high, as you know. I do have a metal roof but the pitch to my roof is not steep. With the enormous amounts of snow, it built up and I couldn't keep up with it - ergo, the avalanche effect. It's so incongruous to hear the robins and red wing blackbirds singing away somewhere behind the snow dunes.

Susan said...

LOL! I'm going to see what the monetary damage is before I decide whether to put in a claim. I would rather not, but...

Susan said...

Yes, it's best when all parties are in the right place. With strays, you don't have any idea of their true character until you live with them for a while. She is perfect in every other way. Let's hope the snow melts before June!

Theresa said...

Maybe the next house should be an A frame chalet? I just had my hair done today and I adore my hairdresser. There really is nothing like a good haircut to make you feel good and it is lasting for at least 6 weeks! But man, it IS wallet draining.....

deb harvey said...

there is a thing which will easily slide snow off your roof. i think i saw it on the deliberate agrarian web site. it is a plastic sheet on a stick apparatus and the snow slides right down it. don't stand in front of it.
please look it up.

Ed said...

As someone who does a lot of house repair, is this year a record snow year? I haven't heard that it is but that really isn't surprising since I live a long ways away. If it is just normal and slightly above average, then I have to wonder about the initial construction process. Without waiting for an answer, I'm guessing your answer is going to be just a lot more snow in a short time period than you are used to getting. Hopefully the fix will work through a similar snow amount in the future.

Rain said...

I'm glad PB was okay in the melée...we went through that with all of our dogs at first, the fighting, but luckily these dogs were all bark and no bite. I'm so happy to hear she has a new foster home though, and you're right, it is magical, and doesn't it make you feel so good about yourself, so loving and caring? :) Sorry about all of your roof trouble, life is way too expensive. I saw a show last year about a guy who actually lived in a cave, he seemed happy! :) Hope you don't have any more snow!

ElaineChicago said...

So sorry to hear about LULU. I guess she just wanted you all to herself. But hopefully her new Mum will be the Perfect One for her.

Susan said...

I am going to look for it Deborah - thank you!

Susan said...

Ed, this is not a normal winter, by any means. Also, my roof is a low pitch, so the snow tends to build up and sit there. If I don't keep right on top of it (which I didn't), anything vertical is in danger.

Susan said...

I know there is always an adjustment period - Lovey gets all snarly - but I am more concerned about the size difference and the fact that doxies are fearless and tenacious. A cave is sounding pretty tempting right about now.

Susan said...

I think that is exactly what she wants - and that is what she has now. Everyone in the rescue is going above and beyond to make sure she is safe and happy.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I do not know how you folks deal with that kind of weather, over and over again. Its one thing to get a single storm and then have several weeks until the next round but this is ridiculous. I admire you for having the fortitude to hang in there. I spent 2 1/2 winters in Massachusetts and that was enough for me. Stay warm and safe. And bless all of you for working so hard for the rescues.

Buttons alias Grace said...

Oh I do hope you find someone to fix it soon. You are having way more snow than we are up here in "The great white north" as it was once called till global warming. Sorry for all that shovelling but summer:):) is on its way since spring has not worked out so much for you. HUGS B

wisps of words said...

Mmmmm, it's now Mar. 21 and I fear you are getting more snow......... -sighhhhhhh-

Very happy about the good hair cut! Yes, these things are very, very important to us. And it's not just vanity. It's our whole attitude and self worth and etc.

Wondering, with all this snow, would it be wise to 'spring for' a snowblower? Just asking...

Also sorry about the house damage and the foster dog issues. You can't endanger your own pets though.

Courage! With Storm Toby.

Susan said...

I am very close to the Mass border - and the dreaded Berkshire Mountains. Dreaded only in winter, I might add. I figure I live in a nice tunnel that funnels up the worst of any storms.

Susan said...

I'm working on it. Where I live, there are contractors who are skilled and so much in demand you have to schedule them a year ahead, then there are the majority who are unskilled, unreliable and decidedly over-priced. And even they don't show up!

Susan said...

Courage is right, WOW! Living in the northeast is not for sissies!

Donna OShaughnessy said...

I gave up, or gave in, on my hair about five years ago. Let it grow long with trims only twice a year. It was a cost issue mainly. I figure my husband of 25 years never notices what I do with it anyway so I'll just focus on keeping it clean. Saved so much money over the years and even able to give up my blow dryer and curling iron. Simple person=simple life=simple do.

Susan said...

I wish I had the kind of hair that I could leave long. Unfortunately, both my sisters got all the good hair genes. Mine is best short and my haircutting skills are about advanced as my car repair skills... :)

wisps of words said...

I tried to grow my hair long, also. And just gave up. My hair is simply not thick enough, to 'pull it off.' -sigh-

But I *just had* to try!!!!!! ,-))))

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing! I live in New Hampshire now, former New Yorker and we have been having the same weather you have been getting, ugh! I am so sick of snow I could just cry! I am crossing my fingers that we are finally finished with the white stuff for this year but only time will tell. Anyway, I am your newest follower and am looking forward to your future posts...
Hugs for now from still very snowy New Hampshire...

Susan said...

My sister lived in NH before she moved to VT to care for our parents - she goes back as often as possible and it's hair-raising going over those mountains! I think that we in the NE have had a winter that we will be happy to see the hind end of. Thank you for commenting!! xo

Nancy In Boise said...

Terrible abut your roof! Weather damage can certainly be expensive. Hope spring comes soon, without flooding! Doggie LuLu has such a sweet face xxxooo