Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Hell. I've got pictures.

So, this is what it's like.
Fifteen minutes later, it was 100.
Notice the interior temp.
Were it the only day of such extremes, I might not be complaining as mightily.  However, this was just one of many.  Saturday's high was 98 with high humidity.  Sunday reached 100, ditto on the humidity.  Monday dipped slightly to 99 (humidity again), Tuesday was balmy at 98 (blah, blah, blah on the humidity), and yesterday it was back to 100 (etc.)  I do not function in this weather.  At all.


This was the scene inside Casa Little Lucky:

Which is cooler?  Laminate or
vinyl?

Flat.

What the....?!

That's more like it.
Butters did remain a fleece blanket burrito right up until 98 degrees.  Then, even he couldn't take it.  You will notice that he very much resembles a baby walrus - that would be the unknown-but-large quantity of dog food he snarfed up after breaking into the laundry room.  He is both busy and naughty.  I cannot keep him in his crate in this weather, so we have to trust each other - not.


Needless to say, not much got accomplished - again.  This so goes against my very being.  I do manage to weed and water in the wee hours, but I did not bake my pies for the annual local library event on the Fourth.  The first time in years.  I just couldn't face turning on the oven.


My new grass is loving the heat - and added sunshine, after all the sumac trees were cleared.
Phase One is complete.
The sheep and llama were very appreciative of the sumac branches, as they love them.  I fed them in the early morning, so they could eat before retreating to the barn for the day.  There has been much filling of wading pools and water buckets.  And bird baths.  And water dishes.  And adult sippy cups.
Linden (Tubby) and Norman (Nutty)

Apria works on early morning hay.
There has been very little knitting, no surprise, but I am slowly working my way through two sweaters.  Because I am a masochist, apparently.  For mindless knitting, I'm working on a shawl/scarf.  There are shortie socks to be cast on.  I had planned to finish my summer pillow shams (from last year...) but just couldn't work up enough energy to face that much movement.


I did whip up a double batch of garlic scape pesto, because I had to cut the scapes and I needed to do SOMETHING.  I love this stuff and use it often.  I'm doing a trade with a neighbor who grows a lot of garlic - he gives me his scapes and I give him back some pesto. 
After freezing, I pop these in jars and use as
needed.
On a bright note, I got to meet my new doctor on Tuesday.  I LOVE her!  I haven't been this hopeful about a doctor in years - years, I tell you!  First, she is a long way from retiring.  Second, she has a farm.  Third, she gave me the name and number of her acupuncturist.  Fourth, she is interested in herbal and alternative treatments.  And - I was so excited about this - she told me about tick prevention (tick tubes) and told me how to make my own!  OMG.  What's not to love?





26 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

A good doctor is hard to find! It sounds like you have found a kindred medical spirit. I can't believe the pup wrapped in a blanket. We are also in a major heat wave. "They" say we will get rain and a cool down later today. Hmmmm. -Jenn

wisps of words said...

I'm afraid to read here, in this weather......

No matter how hot, you have a lot of animals to care for. So you can never really take the day off.

Does doc have a patent on tick prevention stuff????????

Saundra said...

I love your pix, especially the 'whale.' I hope you will share your Dr.'s info about the tick tubes. Stay as cool as possible. Here in the mtns. of CA (5,000 plus ft.) it's been hot, windy, & dry--perfect for forest fires. I think we should all mark our calendars until the end of summer. Sandy

Susan said...

The same "they" are predicting the cool down here. I no longer believe anything they say. I only will believe it when it happens. Yes, Mr. Butters needs to be burrowed at all times. It's crazy.

Susan said...

That's the downside of having animals. No matter what, you're still responsible for their care. I will try to remember this in my next life.

Susan said...

It's been really dry here, too, Sandy. The storms that have launched with this extreme weather have gone north and south of us. We haven't seen a drop of moisture. Look up Tick Tubes - DIY. I always thought that the bad ticks (called Deer Ticks) were carried by deer. Wrong! They are fed and carried by mice - of which we have millions! Tick tubes are tubes (usually toilet paper or paper towel tubes) stuffed with permethrin-laced cotton balls. You put them around your property line and the mice tote off the cotton balls to make nice comfy nesting pillows. Ticks killed.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

The heat has been brutal, especially for those of us who have animals to care for. I've had fans on my chickens and my horses.

Hmmm - i have lots of basil in the garden to harvest, I think I'll make pesto and freeze it -

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We too are battling nasty heat. Can't get a thing done outside, and the humidity makes drying clothes take much longer. Would love to get you pesto recipe using scapes. I made it once I think, but have more scapes to use up too. Interested in the tick tube recipe too. I make an oil that works, and it can be used on humans too. Stay cool. I'm praying for rain, so this humidity will go away, and so I won't have to water the garden tonight.

BrightenedBoy said...

Any doctor who can look beyond lab numbers is promising in my book. I was in Upstate New York for the first time lately, after spending most of my life in the South, and was amused at how much people were freaking out about highs in the 90s--until I realized nobody has air-conditioning. That must be brutal.

Elaine said...

Our country would come to a standstill if we had a heatwave like yours, seriously! Your indoor animals have it right, oh to be able to flop out and sleep as easily as they do.

Not much accomplished? You still do plenty even when you do 'very little'! I hope you get some cooler weather soon.

Theresa said...

The Butter Pat looks like a wee over stuffed sausage. Oh wait, he IS a wee overstuffed sausage. Mandy would be in awe of that smooth unbroken expanse of soft underbelly. She is convinced I have everyone on a starvation diet.
I can't deal with the heat either. As I often say, it takes one hot day to make me done with summer, and most of the winter before I tire of it. You guys have certainly been riding those extremes. Be kind to yourself, do what needs to be done and stay as cool as possible. Pets and an ice-cream cone to all.

Ed said...

We had that hot, horribly humid weather a week ago and then it has faded to something not great, but much better. Hopefully it is headed your way too. Any work I get done outside these days is generally done by eight in the morning.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your new doctor sounds fabulous!

Susan said...

I wish my basil had done better - if it wasn't for a bumper crop of garlic scapes, I wouldn't have pesto! If this heat wave continues, I'm putting a fan in the sheep barn.

Susan said...

I'll send you the scape recipe - it's easy and so good! Every time I walk outside I feel like I'm being slapped with a wet towel.

Susan said...

We're totally wimps, right? If we had air-conditioning, we wouldn't have any excuse to whine. :)

Susan said...

Texas keeps on ticking - and you have brutal weather! There is thunder banging around outside as I type, so I am hopeful.

Susan said...

No matter how hard I try to keep the little sausage in fighting weight, he foils me at every turn. I know you won't be surprised to learn that he observed that the laundry room door closed, but did not latch. He poked it open with his pointy nose. Gads.

Susan said...

Let's hope so. We are not built for this weather up here.

Susan said...

She is!

ellen abbott said...

sounds like business as usual around regarding the heat and humidity. we've had some rain yesterday and today so the heat is a little more tolerable. I don't generally get much done outside during high summer using that time to do model making for my cast glass pieces but I'm not even accomplishing that as long as construction is ongoing. rainy days though just take it right out of me and I sit on the couch and read, in fact I hear it calling right now!

Michelle said...

Passing you a hanky, my dear, for all that "dew." LOL!

Leigh said...

Good grief, your temps are way worse than mine and I'm so much farther south! Wonderful pix though - made me smile. Excellent news about your new doctor! Wish we could all find one like that.

AnnieK said...

WELL, we have had horrid cold weather for SoCal for so long, the sun is finally giving us a heat wave, and I could hardly wait !!! Tomorrow maybe 85 , and Saturday maybe 90. YIPEEE, sorry, the May gloom, and famous June gloom has just been so cold and gloomy. I love your pesto. Great idea for freezing. Wish you were closer, I could trade pesto with you. Got a very good recipe here. xoxoxo

Nancy In Boise said...

What a peaceable kingdom! 100 here yesterday, only 90 today! :)

Goatldi said...

Baby walrus? Snort.

Temps could be tolerated by this toasted all her life central California girl but you can keep your humidity , sorry. And don't believe that old wives tale about dry heat being better than humid heat. I learned years ago on a trip to Arizona that 117 is miserable wet,dry or slightly wrung out!

Sisters separated at birth. I too am seeing a new doctor on Monday. Asking for crossed fingers and divine intervention please. I just hate the doctor shuffle. And more so hate the eye rolls when I mention herbs . I am also in that range starts with a G and ends with a C. But trust me almost 70 is the new almost 40 or is it 50?

Over all looking good girlie!