Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Ketchup, Catsup, Catchup. I'm behind.







Doesn't that look inviting?  Too bad I haven't had time to plant my tush in either one of those chairs.  Also, I'm afraid that, if I spend too much time there, the hops vine will consume me.  I am bound and determined - with that perfect cosmic concoction of no biting flies, less humidity, ducks at nap time, sun at a low angle, and a perfect little breeze - to sit out and enjoy it this weekend.


It has been all about weeding.  It is what I do every available moment.  I even dreamt about weeding last night.  Thanks to my slothfulness last year, the weeds got a root-hold and are doing their best to retain it.  The purslane is rampant.  The sheep sorrel is downright scary.  Then there are the grasses - snake, crab, hellish stuff.  Every morning at 6:30, I am trotting outside with my watering implements, to nurse my little garden along.  I do equal parts watering and weeding.  Then I weed my way across the front of the house, down the side, around the back and into the chicken yard, where there is nothing to weed. 


Mr. Butters has been a pain.  He is an adorable pain, which is the only thing that saves him in most moments, but a pain nonetheless.  Last night I came home to find he had peed on the rug by the deck door.  He had no excuse, as I let them out multiple times.  But he was too busy sticking his pointy little nose into every bush, crevice and crack to bother taking care of business.  Then I let them out into their fenced area, went inside for three minutes, and only Lovey showed up at the door.  After a frantic ten minute screamfest, I found him, nonchalantly sniffing around the big pine tree in the front yard.  He meandered back in his own sweet time and sealed his fate.  Back into the crate he goes.
I have harvested nothing but collards and kale.  There are a few promising cukes coming along, but my jalapenos are puny.  My one sweet pepper plant looks healthy, but there are no flowers.  Thank goodness for Marianne's farm!  They do a good business with their microgreens, but the pea shoots grow so fast, they are beyond micro in the blink of an eye.  I just happen to LOVE pea shoots, so I get a gallon bag of them every week.  Bliss!  My neighbor gave me my first zucchini and I almost cried.  Looks like I will have to get my act together an get back into my garden next year.

26 comments:

Mama Pea said...

What are pea shoots?? Inquiring minds have to know. Or maybe everybody else already knows and I'm the only dummy here? Please educate me.

I have one blossom on my slicing cukes and two zucchinis that are about an inch across. Sugar snap peas and shell peas are finally blossoming. Woo-hoo! No pods yet though.

Never forget the gardener's mantra: There's always next year!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

your deck looks so wonderful and inviting. if we could all get a bit of cooler weather to enjoy anything outside. with all the rain we had a while ago, we are bone dry with not a drop in sight!

tpals said...

At least you aren't giving up and letting the weeds win (which I've been known to do). I need to get out there and scatter more cheap bird seed (millet) in the fenced off chicken pen; the only way I get greenery to grow.

Michelle said...

SO inviting!

Sounds like Mr. Butters has started feeling rather entitled since getting free reign of the house. Like the feeding mat my dad had under his dachshund's food and water dishes said, "Dachshund is German for little pain-in-the-ass."

Nancy In Boise said...

you always work so hard! Good for you and yes enjoy your deck time to smell the flowers

ellen abbott said...

I stare at my flower beds and my garden beds being consumed by weeds and I just shrug. later, I tell myself, later.

Theresa said...

Spiteful little suckers aren't they? Scaring the bejeesers out of us just cuz. You could make him wear a ridiculous belly band, but he won't care will he?
I'm hoping you have some quality tush time in those chairs. That is an impressive hops vice and I know a wind chime is always soothing.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Weeds. I hear you. I have to ask, what do you mean by pea shoots? All I can imagine are the beginning shoots of the pea plant when they first emerge from the soil, but that likely isn't what you are talking about. -Jenn

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh my gosh, you sound like me. I'm debating to take the day off, but I know if I don't weed out the carrots, they won't make it. I spent 2 1/2 hours in the beets and they the 40 some foot row is still not weeded. And then there is the potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, and then back to tomatoes, popcorn, and then the garlic need pulled....too many decisions on what to weed, pull, harvest. Oye.

ElaineChicago said...

Your porch looks so inviting!! I hope you find time to enjoy it this weekend.

Ed said...

Having weeded flowerbed and gardens, I know that if we human were to disappear, the world would look like an apocalyptic jungle in a matter of days!

ellen abbott said...

shoot. I don't remember if I commented on this or not as none are showing. right now I would love to get out there and weed except for the heat, humidity, and mosquitos.

Susan said...

Pea shoots are pea seeds that have grown up about 2 inches. I guess microgreens are miniscule - which is why people (in cities who do not know better) pay a huge amount of money for them. Snort. Yes, thank goodness for next year!

Susan said...

I know - our dirt is dust. No rain in sight until - maybe - tomorrow. We sure need it. Did you notice the mirror chain? I LOVE it!

Susan said...

I forgot about millet! That's worth a try in the chicken yard. I cannot let the weeds go another year, or they will win. It's amazing how well they grow with no water at all...

Susan said...

So, THAT'S what it means! :) He will drive you mad in one second and then fling himself on your lap and tuck his hot little noggin under your chin. Sigh. I am putty in his paws...,

Susan said...

I am going to have to grow more flowers in pots on my deck. I did hang a second hummingbird feeder from the pergola and, if I am very still for more than 10 minutes (difficult), I can see them up close.

Susan said...

That was last year's mantra - "later". I am paying for it now. Too bad they're not all edible, because I'd be set for a year.

Susan said...

He would find a way to get it off - probably by making Lovey help him. He just looks at me, like, "oh, you're looking for me? well, here I am. Be with you in a minute..." Gads!

Susan said...

That IS what they are! But they are grown densely in flats under lights and harvested by scissors. Too labor intensive for me!

Susan said...

Oy, is right! I could not manage the sheer length of your planted beds - I don't know how you do it, since you handle it mostly by yourself!

Susan said...

That is my intention. I am trying to visualize it and make it happen by sheer willpower.

Susan said...

Yes, indeed. Populated by insects and rodents.

Susan said...

My fault! I couldn't access Blogger. Yes, well, given that deadly trio, I'd be inside with an adult beverage.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We've been eating fresh peas shelled from the pods for the past couple of weeks. We pay outrageous prices for them at the farmers' market but get all the enjoyment without any backbreaking labour!

Casa Mariposa said...

Good Lord! Take a break and get your butt in one of those chairs! Maybe some type of mulch will help keep the weeds at bay.