Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is it September yet?

Not that I want the summer to disappear, but I'm not sure I will live through August at this rate.  I vaguely remember the beginning of the month, then it dissolved into an endless stream of fencing, canning jars, steaming kettles, community doings.  This week, alone, has been/is a corker - starting with wasp stings and Jordan's sad news, to sorting and pricing a pile of things for the local library's big fund raiser, to repairing the fence where Godzilla (formerly known as Hoosier) managed to practically rip out a section of my new fence, to peeling, cooking and canning 10 lbs of peaches for vanilla peach sauce until 11p last night, to transporting three of the meat chickens to processor transport at 7a this morning, to picking up 200# of feed on my way into work this morning.  Oh, yes, then there's that pesky full-time job.  Yeesh.  And it's only Thursday.  Tonight I have to fill in on the town's zoning board from 7:30 to at least 8:30, then pick up the processed chickens on my way home.  Sometime between now and 9a Saturday morning, I have to bake brownies and a peach pie for the Book & Bake Sale at the library.  Tomorrow night is the sale's preview party from 5-7, for which I have to make hors d'oeuvres.  After the B&B sale on Saturday, I am driving up to VT to celebrate my dad's 88th birthday, the presents for which I have yet to buy.  Then a future house/farm sitter is coming for dinner at 6.  Sunday, blissfully, there is nothing concrete planned.  But the list includes grooming Blue, cleaning out the small coop, working on the lattice house, tackling the 20# pile of tomatoes on my dining room table and the half-bushel of pickling cucumbers to which I continue to add, and carting the trash to the transfer station.  Calgon -- take me away!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Judy said...

Whew! I'm tuckered out reading your post! Good to be busy tho - idle hands are the devil's workshop!! LOL

Susan said...

Judy, very true! Not only do I have no time, I also have no energy to get into mischief!!

Mama Pea said...

Read my lips: You have been too busy! Period. You can't keep going on like that or you'll bust a gasket, spring a leak, or collapse in your most comfy chair and slip into a catatonic state.

I know it really is all involved with this time of year. So many things you simply can't put off or say no to. What's a person to do?

I have cookies cooling on the counter and one-half a box of file folders in the new desk. I'm sure I must have done something else since it's now 2:20 p.m. I shouldn't complain. I'm at home all day; not running around as you are.