Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

That's enough about me. Now let's talk about me.

I am answering Chicken Mama's challenge - although, I am embarrassed to admit I have no idea what a "meme" is - and list 25 things about me.  Let's see if I can do this in a stream-of-consciousness way and not in my usual over-edited way (but with spellcheck...)

1.  I prefer animals to people.
2.  I hated school after grade school but I love learning.  Go figure.
3.  I can type 105 wpm pretty much without error.
4.  I wear socks to bed as soon as the temperature drops below 50.
5.  Sometimes I forget to comb my hair all day.  Even when I go into work.
6.  I have long conversations with my dogs, cats, sheep, llamas.  But not with my chickens or rabbits.  Bias?
7.  All I wanted to be when I was growing up was a sculptor/cowgirl.
8.  I have a Fine Arts background and work as a legal researcher.
9.  I still cry every time I think of the time I had to have my parents' dog, Jetta, put to sleep.  Years ago.
10.  I can't sleep past 4:30 a.m. even on weekends - if I do, I get cranky.
11.  I would love to live in the middle of nowhere, by myself, with my furred friends, with no one else about, being totally self-sufficient and off-grid.
12.  I do most of my baking between 4:30 - 6:30 a.m.
13.  I am addicted to a certain kind of potato chip.
14.  I would rather drink Champagne than water - even for breakfast, if I could get away with it.
15.  I cheated on a math test in 9th grade.
16.  I still hold a grudge against my high school speech teacher, Mr. Higgie, for not telling me I was pronouncing "Freud" wrong (read: Freeooood), making me the laughing stock of my class.
17.  I was an alto in church choir and sing at every opportunity - especially to the dogs - and especially songs from musicals.
18.  I listen to classical music if I'm stuck in traffic because it's the only thing that quenches my road rage.
19.  I drive too fast.
20.  I would like to learn how to play a mandolin before I'm too old to function.
21.  I don't have any friends from where I grew up - most of my friends were made in the last 15 years of my life.  And they are the best friends anyone can have.
22.  I can't stick to a diet or a budget.
23.  I close my eyes or leave the room during scary bits of movies.
24.  I have watched the Wizard of Oz over 50 times.
25.  I know all the words to "The Jabberwocky".

Anyone else?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Now THAT is a fascinating list. We are very alike in some ways, and very different in others. (Champagne? Never tasted it!)

Mama Pea said...

I loved it! Because you don't usually reveal much of anything about your personal self . . . and inquiring minds want to know. So thanks for sharing. (There now. It didn't even hurt, did it?)

I want to question you some more about nearly all of your statements.

Jordan said...

Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
All mimsey were the borogroves
And the mome raths outgrabe
(crap - now I have to look it up)
I lurve that poem!

Erin said...

Nice! I have to admit we share quite a few of them, I hear you on the friends thing - only since the advent of Facebook have I even "talked" to friends from high school! I came here first so I guess I better get over to Chicken Mama's update and read that!

melanie said...

I must have the detailed answer to #13....and if #24 is true, then you must know which character carries the pistol...and I'm more than just a little bit jealous of #3...

Mama Pea said...

I'm curious to know what a "legal researcher" does. (Duh, I know it means "does research in the field of law" but can you give more of an idea of what your job actually entails on a daily basis?

So you get up every morning at 4:30. I am so envious. I love those early hours but have always required so much sleep that I'd have to be asleep at night at 8 (at the latest) to get what I seem to need. What time do you go to bed on the average?

Do you still dabble in the Fine Arts? I know you knit.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - nothing like a dollar short and days behind - I research laws and regs in all 50 states for our clients. Sometimes it's absolutely fascinating. Mostly -- not. I also make up charts, do administrative work, and am the go-between between our attorneys and the state lobbying commission. I go to bed between 9:30 and 10:30. Since the time change, it's mostly the former. As I get used to the 2 hours of daylight, I tend to go to bed later. I need 6 hours of sleep and I'm hunky dorey. I occasionally dabble, but not often. I tend to do more crafty-type things now. That seems to work better with my lack of focus. I LOVE to knit, and am learning to spin and weave this winter. And maybe play the mandolin ;o).

Mama Pea said...

Someday you'll have to tell the story of just how you got into your line of work. Had you thought of becoming a lawyer?

I so envy you being able to be bright eyed and bushy tailed on 6 hours of sleep. They say as we get older we need less sleep; I'm ready for that to happen to me. So much stuff I wanna do, so little time!

You'd better hope for a long, slow winter! Looks like you've got a lot planned to accomplish during these months inside. Thanks for the reply. :o)