Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Warning!


Growing up in a family where both parents had been in the Navy, we have a lot of nautical terms woven into our vernacular.  "Red sky in morning, Sailor take warning; Red sky at night, Sailor's delight", is one that's stuck.  So is hollering, "ON DECK!!" when you drop something.  This was the sky this morning - so, no matter what the weatherman says, I'm expecting weather.  Hopefully, not really, really bad weather.  While I can brave through snowstorms, rain, thunder and lightning, I am a pure fraidy cat when it comes to wind.  I cannot sleep through it.  I lie in bed listening so hard my ears hurt for sounds of roofs being ripped off, sheep flying, rabbits calling for their mommy (that would be I).  About 99.9 percent of the time, when I look outside in the morning, the worst thing that has happened are a few branches down and a tarp halfway off.  But it still gives me the willies.

Thanksgiving?  I did not pull out my soapbox, have my say or even hint around.  There was too much hubbub which included my great-nephew who took issue with just about everything that went on.  He's a cutie, but nearing that terrible-twos phase.  It makes my two kittens seem so quiet and tame.  I don't know how older parents can take it.  My holiday can be summed up thusly:  ate too much, drank too little, drove too much, slept too little.  A nice balance, more or less. 

7 comments:

Michelle said...

As an "OLD" parent, I can tell you it ain't easy.... Oh, and a terrible wind and rain storm is supposed to arrive here tonight!

Susan said...

Well, Michelle, since you hardly qualify as "old", we will just say you are a non-20 y/o mother! And, my dear, better you than I with the wind/rain storm. Geez - I hope I didn't just jinx myself....

Michelle said...

I wasn't even a 30-something mother! We're talking OLD! ha!

Mama Pea said...

Holy moley, your picture gave me a fright there was a raging fire near you!

We're gonna get weather tonight, too! The forecast is for more snow to come on in, but the temp right now is a balmy 39 so if precipitation happens, that doesn't sound too good. (Rain? Sleet? Sneet? Snort?)

Hope you recover fully from Thanksgiving soon. I finished the last of our leftovers at noon today. (Boy, am I tired of munchies!)

Susan said...

I know - it actually looks scarier than it was. I think it's more the quality of my camera (or lack thereof) and limited photography skills. But it was RED. I like "Sneet". I will have to remember that. I am working my way through the "Ts" - turkey soup, turkey sandwich, turkey tetrazzini, turkey hash, turkey surprise. What I really, really want is a Dill Pickle Roll Up.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Too bad it isn't a night shot! It sure is pretty, albeit a bit scarey :)

thecrazysheeplady said...

Love it! The picture AND the Thanksgiving summary :-D.