Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The only cookbook I really need.

You know how you have many (ahem) cookbooks and then there's the Web, and blogs, and the old wooden recipe card holder?  And when it all boils down to it, there's one source that you go to, again and again?  (You, meaning Me).  I seriously could rehome all of my collection (once numbered at 253 volumes - it was a Condition) and keep just one.  Simply in Season has everything I need.  And it is arranged in the most convenient way - by season.  This is perfect for someone who lives out of their garden.  I keep forgetting about it, then, when I am stymied by an abundance of some vege, my little dim bulb flickers on and, HEY!  What about that cookbook - Simply Something?!

That is where the past three meals have come from (or, grammatically better - from whence cameth my last three meals...)  This is my favorite one of the three:

Corn Quiche with Tortilla Crust
(from Simply in Season)

3 corn tortillas
Place one tortilla in middle of 9" pie plate.  Cut remaining tortillas in half and overlap to mostly cover pan sides.

1/2 onion or 2 shallots (chopped)
1/2 green pepper (chopped)
Saute in 2 tsps oil until onion is translucent, 2 mins.  Transfer to large bowl.

1 cup milk
1 cup cottage cheese
3 eggs (beaten)
Add and mix well.

2 cups corn (fresh or canned -drained)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Stir in.  Pour into tortilla-lined pan.  Bake in preheated 425 oven for 10 mins.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 mins.  Recipe may be doubled (use 8 tortillas) and baked in a 9x13 baking pan; increase baking time to 50-60 mins.

I used fresh corn (almost 3-1/2 cups) and skipped the green pepper.  One, they don't really agree with me and two, I refuse to sacrifice one of my unripe poblanos.  I used Colby/jack cheese - cheddar would be nice, too.  This was absolutely delicious - with sweet, slightly crunchy bursts of corn in every bite.  YUM!

I am seriously thinking of making every recipe in the book - I haven't found one that doesn't sound like I must try it.  Next up is crustless broccoli pie (using my copious amounts of broccoli - poor me - and chopped kale).  This healthy eating business is great!

14 comments:

Deb said...

Great recipe but I am even more interested in the brocolli pie. There are two veg-heads in this house. :) Deb

Buttons Thoughts said...

Now I am hungry and I think you should can I come over first yummy:) Hug B

Unknown said...

Oooo that sounds good! I have peppers coming on soon! I make a lot of fritattas in the summer, eggs and veggies and cheese :)

Mama Pea said...

You say you once had 253 cookbooks? I have to confess to having a few more than that, I'll betcha. BUT I don't have Simply in Season which I now think I must have! Oh, no, no, NO, I really, really don't need another cookbook.

(Going to Amazon now to see what kind of a deal I can get on it.)

Tombstone Livestock said...

More than 250 cookbooks I would be exhausted counting that many .......

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

I have to check this recipe book out. I have certain one's I'm always referring too.

1st Man said...

Our name is 1st Man and 2nd Man and we have the same condition...200, 300, we've lost count. And now we need this one! Ooops, that will be another one...well it IS a condition, ha.

Susan said...

Buttons - My door is always open to you! Would love to share a piece of corn quiche and a cup of tea!

Susan said...

Nancy - I live on salads, fritattas and quiche during the summer -- such a good use of vege and cheese!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Well, heck. There goes your Christmas present.... :)

Susan said...

TL - I got so tired of lugging them around. Then I ran out of shelf space and that was the clincher. I put them on Freecycle and got to meet some great folks! Of course, I still have too many, but some I just cannot part with...

Susan said...

Sandy - You will love this cookbook! Especially if you find yourself with an overabundance of fresh vegetables (is that an oxymoron?)!

Susan said...

1M&2M - I know you garden, so I think you will love this cookbook. It's broken down by season and it's well indexed. That is my first priority on any cookbook!

LindaCO said...

Fabulous! I've never been a cookbook collector, but I sure did appreciate winning a copy of Simply in Season from you!! So many yummy things. I use Pinterest for a lot of my cooking these days. I like the way it's organized, and I can just bring my laptop into the kitchen and go from there.