Pages

Friday, June 7, 2019

Getting creative.

While I have every intention of being frugal and stretching things to within a hare's breath (whatever that means), I am easily distracted (SQUIRREL!) and mending tends to be down towards the bottom of the list - right above cleaning the oven.


I have had my favorite jeans on the mending pile for, oh, several months.  I have randomly moved them around, trying to put them in my line of vision so that I will focus and mend.  Ha.  I have had them on my coffee table - right, smack-dab, in front of me for over three months.  I have even moved them to get at my reading material.  I finally pulled up the worn (and also in need of mending) BGPs and got to work.


I like the result.  These were my very best, favorite Sylvie-given jeans, and I have missed them.  They were pristine until I tripped on the vet's pot-holed driveway, while holding an injured Butter Pat.  Needless to say, I sacrificed the jeans (and my kneecap) and kept a firm grip on the stinker.  For a while, I tried to convince myself that torn jeans were au currant - and they were, if you were 18. 


I am now declaring them All The Rage.


And I wore them to work.  I am now hoping for more tears - without harm to my person - so that I can continue my creation.



27 comments:

Lynne said...

Very artistic! Very clever of you!!

Susan said...

Thank you, Lynne. It's like having a fancy knee pad.

Theresa Y said...

I bet you could sell them $50.00 easy.

Ed said...

My daughter just got her first pair of pre-torn jeans. Age 13. This post reminds me of my work shorts still sitting on a table waiting for a button to get sewn back on.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We'll see ripoffs of your style soon in The Gap at outrageous prices.

Nancy In Boise said...

Nice!

Sansthing said...

Hair´s breadth...width of a hair! Love your blog, I´ve been following you for ages.

Susan said...

Tres chic. You might be on the cusp of a fashion trend.

Mama Pea said...

Now THAT is a classy mend! Hmmmm, I have some things I could send you . . .

Reminds me of a tale I'll tell. Years ago, my parents gave Papa Pea a very nice, all wool, navy blue bathrobe for Christmas. One chilly evening he was ready for bed, jammies and bathrobe on. Trying to warm up after taking a shower, he snuggled his rear end up up next to the wood stove. Yep, melted a nice big hole in the bathrobe (and left a mess on the stove, too). I patched the hole with a big, red heart.

Susan said...

Hey....hm...

Susan said...

Go see on that button! No excuses!

Susan said...

LOL! Is that what they call mixed metaphors, or am I losing my hearing, along with everything else?

Susan said...

Susan, now that would be a first!

Susan said...

I love this story so much.

Susan said...

Thank you, Nancy!

Susan said...

Do you think I can sue? :)

Michelle said...

Why not? You work for lawyers! ;-) Nice to be the only one in the office so you can wear jeans, huh?

Michelle said...

Hmmm; my understanding is that wool doesn't melt, it burns (eventually, but it takes awhile). Maybe not "all wool"?

Joanne Noragon said...

Effing brilliant!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Aww, c'mon, you mean you don't want the precisely placed rips and tears and fake worn spots and fake paint spots on your jeans like all the youngens' out there? Next you'll be telling me you don't want to wear the Hunter boots or Blundstone boots, or Birkenstocks with your gorgeous homemade socks to go with them! -Jenn

Susan said...

High praise, coming from a fiber artist!

Susan said...

What? Wearing my Birkenstocks with my socks is a thing?

ellen abbott said...

I see someone beat me to 'hair's breadth'. nice mend job. I finally patched the hole/tear in my western style purple plaid flannel shirt this year after wearing it with said hole/tear for years.

Susan said...

I’m not sure if I don’t like “Hare’s breath” better. I think I’m going to stick with it. I’d like to see that shirt – I like western, and I love plaid flannel.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh, yes indeed, well up here in Ontario with the highschool crowd (not sure about university - I'm probably three trends behind on that!)

Retired Knitter said...

Yep! The next new trend. Pre-torn jeans AND pre-patched. Before you know it they will be selling them pre-dirty as well. hahaha. Nice job.

abbeysmum said...

Nice work ! I laughed when I saw the pic as this Saturdaybour Simple Living group had a lovely workshop,on this very thing.
I had found some French designer jeans in a charity shop and they had decorative patches on them (wore them to a meeting) so the coordinator patched some old jeans and showed them as a workshop offering.I will send a link if I figure out how to do that.