Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Rising to the surface.

One would think that, having spent so much time away, I could at least make up for it with a riot of photos, memorializing all that was done.  Well, one would be wrong.  It's been a whole lot of hurry up and wait around here.  And there's a lot of the same on the job.  Which, I am happy to report, I have for another year.  I was hoping for two, but we take what we get and be glad about it.


I spent a futile night cleaning the guest room for my youngest sister - only to find out on the day she was to arrive that she had let her drivers license lapse and wouldn't be coming.  Ah, well.  As it turned out, the cleaning and fluffing was not for naught, as I had ordered a mattress topper (in my never-ending quest for a good night's sleep) and was instructed to place it on my mattress and let it 'come to life' for 48 HOURS.  What?  So, off to the guest room I shuffled for the allotted time.  This, in turn, stirred things up on the furry kids front - what was I doing down there?  Why was I up in the night?  Why did I not want company in the bathroom?  Tonight, thank goodness, my mattress topper should have come to full sense of itself and I am back where I belong.


The Pat is still under crate arrest and I have to carry him in and out, morning and night, to do his business.  I can tell he likes the additional attention, so I am sure I will have to wean him off after he's feeling better.  I will wait until its been a full two weeks before I strap him into his L'il Back Brace - I want to make sure that he can't twist himself into paralysis when my back is turned.


I continue to experiment with pickled quail eggs.  So far, every recipe I've tried, I've liked.  There was the bourbon, the shallots and white wine, and the soy.  I think the soy is my favorite, thus far.  Next on the agenda is mustard.  The four little girls seem to be settling in, being without fear of dismemberment. 


I do have a couple of pics...


Blossoms!

Squashette!
Granola

And knitting
Of course, over the period of the last week or so, I noticed that the zucchini plants were starting to sport yellow leaves - just to be thorough, I sprinkled some Epsom salt around each and gave them a good going-over with my homemade spider mite/aphid spray.   The beans are up, the chard is up, everything is holding its own, even with lots of rain, very little sun and much cooler than normal temps.  I only had one melon seed out of four germinate, so I am trying to decide whether to just go with the one (sensible choice) or replant six more (insane choice).


I still  have some things to do in the garden, but it is pretty well done - except for all the watering and weeding.  I am getting ready for a yard sale on the 30th, so that has meant lots of piles.  I have found that the most useful way for me to get ready, is to place a box/boxes in each room and then, as I am in the room, sort through things and put everything that's going into the boxes.  Then these will be sorted by price, etc.  I am only having it the one day because I thought it would be safer than having cars parked on the side of the road with all the idiot truck drivers zooming around the corners without slowing or looking.  Plus, I can only take interacting with the public for one day.  I figure I can work in the garden and on the compost piles when I am between customers.  If the weather is nice enough, I may set up doggy day care on the back deck.  It would be too much turmoil with all the comings-and-goings.


So, back down I go - into endless sheets of inventory and unending farm chores.  I will resurface next week with my own rendition of Never Say Never.  Hehe.

17 comments:

Annsterw said...

You have definitely been busy! Sorry the visit was called off but excited to hear how you like your mattress topper! Which did you get? I ave been shopping around and would love to hear your review! Annster's Domain

Susan said...

Let's hope in the allotted one year "they" realize you are indispensable. If I laid on a mattress for 48 hrs would it bring me to life? I'm going to try it. Then I could drive to your house for the yard sale.

ellen abbott said...

it's far too hot here to be outside for more than 10 minutes, the heat index is supposed to be sky high today so weedy gardens stay weedy. I have been putting up my tomato bounty and today I skin and cut up and freeze peaches before I am out of pocket all next week.

Susan said...

I will give a product review after I have slept on it for a reasonable period of time. I sure hope it is "the" one!

Susan said...

Can I even imagine being able to lie on a mattress for 48 hours? Unless in a coma? Yes! We could take turns arguing with the locals on whether they feel 50 cents is too much for something worth five dollars.

Susan said...

I don't believe we have even entered the realm of heat index yet. At this rate, we might start keeping track in mid-August. I need to catch up on your blog...

Ed said...

That is my problem as well, every recipe I try I like. Evidently I'm not a picky eater!

Susan said...

That is a good thing! I am actually using your recipe for pickled eggs with mustard next. It's a favorite on regular eggs.

Lynne said...

I hope little Pat gets better soon. That's horrible for a animal. I seems like you just planted the squash and it has blooms on it. Like the knitting bag. Your bed must be nice and comfy now. Glad you got another year at work!

Rain said...

Yellow leaves....can you share your homemade spray? I have some yella leaves on my pumpkin plants, kind of worries me! What does the Epsom Salt do?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Who knew mattress toppers were so New Age-y and demanding?

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I've had problems with cucumber beetles. Would your spray help with that? Like Rain, I'd love to know what you use. As to the yard sale - good luck. Been there, done that, never again!!!! (Are you on a main road? We just never got the traffic). -Jenn

Susan said...

I’ll have to look up my spider mite spray recipe. My lemon tree inevitably get spider mites after I bring it in and this has always worked. As far as cucumber or potato beetles, try Neem oil. That’s worked for me.

Joanne Noragon said...

Lately I've had things arrive vacuum packed. Interesting.

Michelle said...

How did your zucchini zoom by mine, which aren't even blooming yet??? Eventually four germinated after making me think for quite a few days that I'd only have one. Maybe you'll get more melons yet?

Leigh said...

Who knew that a mattress topper need time to get itself together? (I learn so much from blog reading.) It's always a good feeling to get a room well cleaned, though. Great idea for sorting for yard sales.

Retired Knitter said...

Mattress toppers! They can be so particular!! They must think they are as important as mattresses! Go figure.

Love your blog!! You talk the way I think. Ha.