Pages

Friday, June 14, 2019

Really, you know me so well...

...it's almost scary.  After a totally unscientific procedure, wherein I went through many machinations and figurings and calculations, all adding up to nonsense, I decided to opt for pure numbers.  Since Michelle and Leigh were within a half-chore of each other, they win!  And, as I winged this whole process, the prizes are still a mystery.  To me, too! LOL!  But I do have some ideas...

Michelle, I have your info, so Leigh, would you please email your mailing address?

I am desperately trying to cut back on my lists.  The problem is, once I have it written down, I take it as a challenge to get it all done.  No matter how insane it is.  It's a condition.  I have always been very competitive with myself (and, honestly, just in general).  I remember, back in a past life, when I worked in the advertising industry, the agency had a 'teamwork building night' that included a volley ball game.  Apparently, by the end of the game, management had the idea that I was actually 8 feet tall and a spitfire.  Thereafter, my coworkers tended to hug the walls while passing me.  I got both a raise and a promotion.   Decades later (I'm not saying how many), I have a more laissez faire attitude about these things - except when it comes to competing with myself.  I could blame it on being raised to think that what I did was never enough.  However, that would be a complete waste of time and energy.  Once you've been dipped in that dye bath at an early age, it can become part of your DNA.  Best to just come to friendly terms with it!

Thank you again, you dears.  I appreciate those that think I am super-Sweezie and those who think I should sit down, have a martini and seize that diem!

(Now excuse me while I start my list for the weekend.... wash the dog (singular), bake bagels, laundry, Home Depot, weed wack my parents' place, plant trees, wash kitchen floor, vacuum, dust, sweep, clean deck, quit avoiding the sweater.........)

26 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

From a fellow list maker, you made me smile. How 'bout this one: add something to your list that you already did (but wasn't on the list originally) and cross it off, just to make yourself feel better. -Jenn

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh...we are of the same cloth! I think I started writing lists as soon as I could write. I have never been competitive except with myself and yes, same background....but it does make you into an "over achiever" which isn't such a bad thing....better than a couch potato but it makes it hard to relax. I've finally found balance because old age has made me slow down and I have had to come to terms with the fact that I don't have the energy or the stamina I used to have to 'power through'. But I am retired so I just get up the next day and start where I left off. The one good thing is I don't require as much sleep. I think God compensates us for the slowing down by giving us more time. LOL! Good luck with your list(s)!

Susan said...

An excellent idea! It may actually make me feel as if I’m making progress!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Have a good weekend! I suspect it will be a busy one.

Susan said...

I think I am in denial when it comes to my energy level. I still think I am 40 - my ideal age – but, sadly, I’m not. You have an excellent attitude!

Susan said...

I suspect you’re right....

Mama Pea said...

Yep, it's the weekend already. Which means you will hit the ground running with list in hand! The thing that amazes me most about what you get done is that between items on ye ol' list, you also travel many miles in your vehicle between home and . . . wherever! Think what you could get done if you didn't have to leave home for the whole weekend!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am THE list maker! i live with lists. you should see me when i have a big party. i am buried in lists! i am a list lover! i even save them from event to event so i can check back and see how i did it the year before.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Girl, just making your list would make me tired!! If I make a list, you know there's a deadline coming up. Did you grow up in Tasmania by chance? :)

Hummingbird said...

I also make to-do lists constantly, and I think that this last Tuesday was the first and only time I have actually finished the whole thing in one day. I must say I was pretty full of myself and had to show it to my husband with everything crossed out! The rest of the time, I have to settle for only getting 2 or 3 things crossed off, because "squirrel!" I always get distracted!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha! I do the same thing with lists. They tend to get crazy. However, if I don't write it down, I forget I need to do them, like weed the herb garden. I have a weekend list too.

ellen abbott said...

I solved this problem by not making lists. then it's easy to forget some of the stuff that needs to be done.

Rain said...

Congrats to Leigh and Michele :)
I understand what you mean...if I have a to do list written, I feel the need to get it ALL done NOW or it doesn't sit right!

Michelle said...

Yep, I've done that. I accomplished something – it should COUNT! ha

Tewshooz said...

Try living with someone who makes lists on post it notes. The inside of the house is papered with them. Windows, doors, table tops. They all have reminders and things to do. Makes me crazy.

Susan said...

Oh Jenn, I do that!

Susan said...

Oh, Mama Pea, I think of that quite often. It would be Heaven!

Susan said...

I may very well have lived one of my many lives in Tasmania. Why do you ask....? :)

Susan said...

Twins! What an accomplishment! I hope you saved it and tacked it up in a place of honor.

Susan said...

Exactly! And let' not forget our Post-It notes - the inside of my front door is peppered with them!

Susan said...

I would gladly forget half of what I needed to do, if they didn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Susan said...

We are our own worst enemies, aren't we?

Susan said...

Funny you should mention it...I DO live with someone who over-uses Post-It notes...and it's not Lovey. :)

Leigh said...

How exciting to win! I have to confess that your lists put me to shame. I never get anywhere near that much done. Of course, I'm prone to misplace my lists, which may be part of the problem.

Goatldi said...

I am the polar opposite of Miss Leigh. I make a list I make copious list and this has nothing to do with the umhum
aging process.
I have had for my entire life an odd habit of going to markets with a list in my hands and it’s the old “look there goes the unicorn factor.”
And I’m distracted and I get home and I look at my list and I say oh I forgot that and that and that and that and that and that .

I truly suspect that I probably will do this until I die. But congratulations to the two winners !
Wow talk about opposite ends of the country
Enjoy!

Ed said...

I think had you written this post before the list and contest, I might have gotten closer to winning! I know now to never underestimate you and ticking off list items.