Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ketchup. Catsup. Catchup.

Turkeys in the front yard. (Click on pic to enlarge)
A little glimpse into how my mind works.  I have always been interested in regional spellings and words that crop up in their own little parts of the country.  The heading came when I thought it was time to catch-up on my blog - which then led to ketchup and catsup.  And that led me to thinking about crick and creek, wash and warsh.  And on and on it goes...
I grew up in Ohio - sort of the mid-west - and when I hear someone talking about getting the 'warsh' done, I gravitate to them like Monarchs to Mexico.  I like mid-westerners.
     Lots going on around the farmstead in the recent weeks.  We continue to monitor Bartie, who remains a bit wheezy, but wants desperately to join the other sheep - buttheads or not.  I managed to trick him into eating a small head of garlic yesterday morning by serving up a tasty dish of raw garlic cloves (small), a chopped apple, a little cracked corn, sweet feed, topped off by a big dollop of molasses.  He licked the bottom of his dish clean.  I am not letting him out until I haven't heard a wheeze in at least two days.
     The lattice house continues to be a work in progress - I did manage to get the front panel cut and mounted, and put the remaining side up, too.  Other than the roof and roof ends, it is pretty much done.  I also made the decision to part with Miquel - I can do a lot of things, but I am not. in. the. least. bit. mechanical.  Having to deal with a 20 year-old truck has proven too nerve-wracking for me, so he's on the local market.  Amazingly, he started right up after sitting dormant for over a month and a half.  Buen chico, Miquel.
     Garden-wise, the cherry tomatoes are finally winding down, there are still lots of full-size tomatoes on the vine and my sole remaining eggplant is growing fruit.  A little late, but what the heck.  I've planted kale and spinach in the raised bed that once held garlic and fashioned a little hoophouse over it.  The seeds have germinated, so all I have to do now is to remember to fold back the plastic when it's warm during the day, then cover it back up at night.  I am a major fan of kale.
     It was in the 30s this morning which put me in denial.  I refuse to accept 30 degree temperatures while it is still September.  If I squinted just right, it looked a lot like 64, which I will accept.  There was a thin layer of frost on the deck table that further accelerated my denial/panic.  But, by the time I left for the office, it was sunny and climbing into the 50s.  While I waited for K to arrive for the administration of Bertie's shot, I grabbed a shovel and dug up some more of the dang thistles that seem to thrive everywhere.  Then I dug a hole and planted the horseradish that was -- miracle of all miracles -- still alive in it's temporary bucket.  I had unceremoniously plopped it into the bucket with water and dirt when I got back from Dansville.  There is going to be a string of mild days coming up and I figured it was now or never.
     Kevin Ford is due back for the fall shearing on Friday morning, so I will plan on taking before/after pictures.  Their fleece is beautiful right now - especially Juno's.  Until you look below the surface, that is, and see the five pounds of vegetable matter that's accumulated right down to skin level.  Stinker.

6 comments:

  1. I do a double-take when I hear, "pop" for soda. Or rather, paap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those of us who have moved around alot are more likely to be tuned into familiar words. I get a lot of long vowels up here - influenced by the proximity to The City.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, too bad you don't have anything going on to occupy your time. ;o)

    After living up here so close to the Canadian border for (only) 35+ years, people from outside the area tell us what a strong French-Canadian accent we have. We do?? Huh, I'll be darned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone looks at me strangely now when I go home to MN and ask for "soda"! I had no troubles losing the word "pop" LOL. You are certainly keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from Ohio too, and my Dad always said "poosh" for push and "boosh" for bush. I live in the south now, where the candy is "Rees-ee" cups, not Reese cups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work in a cubicle next to a woman who had a Southern accent so thick you could dig it up with a shovel. It was very carefully cultivated, though, as she had lived in NYC for over 24 years!

    ReplyDelete